The Importance of Being Earnest

by Oscar Wilde | Plays & Scripts |
Registered by winglukutuoliwing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 5/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, May 21, 2009
This is a Finnish edition (Janus Books, 1968), and the front cover tells it's specially adapted for the Finnish reader; Finnish vocabulary, synonyms, grammatical notes, idioms etc.

This play was first performed at St.James's Theatre, London, 1892.

Journal Entry 2 by winglukutuoliwing at by Post, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 01, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (6/1/2009 UTC) at by Post, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book takes part in Sanatarkkaan -challenge by Triamy and travels next to ruzena. Have a nice summer!

Journal Entry 3 by wingruzenawing on Thursday, June 04, 2009
Thank you -- Kiitos!
Kiitos myös firman kynästä. Lyijykynät ovat lempikyniäni.

***
15.4.2021

Because of the title, I expected a gloomy morality like The Picture of Dorian Gray, but I was not disappointed when getting a hilarious morality instead! Wilde’s comedy laughs at the tradition of Victorian melodrama: fiction is revealed to be true, the fictional person exists, the orphan gets to know his parents, the brothers find each other and marriages are born. The boundaries of social classes and genders are agilely crossed in a world where the principles of decency were stricter than ever. This was a really smart and funny read.
I now found that the play is translated into Finnish (and performed) under varying titles. The original one is difficult to translate so that Wilde's pun earnest - Ernest is preserved.

-ruzena

131 pages snack to a new reader. Enjoy your meal!

Journal Entry 4 by eijukka at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Thanks for this small surprise book! I´m sure, it will take some years for me to get over it, but one must have challenge in life ;-)!