The Cutting Room

by Louise Welsh | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1841958638 Global Overview for this book
Registered by deadendmind of Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on 5/20/2009
Journal Entry 1 by deadendmind from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Bought to replace this stalled bookray.

Journal Entry 2 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, May 20, 2009
The protagonist, Rilke, is a somewhat unusual yet endearing character: A middle-aged auction house appraiser with a predilection for the seamier side of life, he comes into possession of certain items which could possibly be evidence of a ghastly crime.
Are the photos of the murdered girl authentic? Are the photos Fact or Fiction? Is it Art, Smut, or Snuff?

Rilke is drawn into the mystery almost at the same level as that of the reader: He's merely trying to understand what is or isn't going on, and also the 'why' of his fascination with the titillating details of the heinous act. I liked the character of Rilke. Unlike professional police investigators or private detectives that are commonly featured in crime fiction, Rilke isn't on a heroic quest, out to set things straight, or to prove his mettle.
It was easy to identify with him, even though he is an unconventional protagonist for this type of genre.

I like crime fiction stories, but don't read many crime books. Often the best-selling writers disappoint me. Besides a suspenseful & intriguing plot, I expect to be entertained by the writing itself. Except for a couple of rather minor stumbles, I am impressed by Laura Welsh's novel.
There are a fair number of verbal clues, word puns, and frequent references to art history & literary works of the past to keep the reader's mind involved with the words on the page as well as in the murder mystery plot.
And yet, it is not a complicated narration; the prose moves along smoothly & with clarity; nowhere does it feel like the author is trying to write in a dense literary or hip style.

-----------------
First Chapter

Canongate, publishers of The Cutting Room

Louise Welsh bio, interview, Top Ten.

Journal Entry 3 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Thanks so much deadendmind for offering this replacement copy to re-start my stalled bookray!

Journal Entry 4 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Book Ray with a Twist

The last stop for this bookray will be an OCBZ, in appreciation of the fact that Canongate, the publishers of The Cutting Room have an OBCZ on their premises.

Book Ray participants are listed below.
Please journal the book to say that you have received it, and then again when you have read it and are posting it to the next reader.
Please read and pass on the book within two months of receipt. If you can't do this for any reason, please PM me to let me know.
When you are done reading, contact the next person on the list to get their mailing address.

The original copy for the Bookray has already been read by: tootshelling, Luz-de-Luna, sunfi, Queniene. You can read their comments here.
Replacement copy reading order:

* Bug2004 (USA - posts within USA) - asked to be skipped
* JenKazoo (USA - posts within USA)
* kerbam1421 (USA - posts within USA)
* perryfran (USA - posts anywhere)
* SerenityBlue (Toronto, Canada) <---- book is here
* last stop on the ray: OBCZ in Toronto, Canada (with the kind assistance of SerenityBlue)

Journal Entry 5 by okyrhoe at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/22/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Yay! The bookring is traveling again, now on its way to JenKazoo!

Journal Entry 6 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Monday, July 13, 2009
I have had this book for several days but have not yet had a chance to journal it. I am reading a library book right now so as soon as I am finished I will begin this one. Thanks to everyone who has made this ring possible :)

Journal Entry 7 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Monday, September 21, 2009
Yikes! I just realized I never journalled this book after reading it. I have had this book entirely too long and I apologize. I will get it sent out very soon and have attempted to get it moving again several times but things are really wild over here! If those who recieve this journal alert do not see that the book is moving in a week's time please PM me and remind me. I am pregnant and my mond is flying all over the place and I just can't seem to get focused on one thing! Thanks!

Now, as for the book....I finished reading it but didn't really like it as much as I hoped I would. I had a hard time with the setting of this book. I know it was set in approximation to the present but it was really hard to feel like these characters weren't from a past era. I supposed it was the culture gap from being an American reading this book. I did enjoy the book but felt myself rusging to finish and move one to something else.

Journal Entry 8 by kerbam1421 from Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Friday, October 30, 2009
Received this in the mail yesterday. I've been wanting to read it for a while, so I'm anxious to get to it! I have 2 book rings in front of this one, but I promise I won't have it too long. Thank you for including me! :)

Journal Entry 9 by kerbam1421 from Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Just giving everyone an update - I started reading this last night, 11/17/09.

Journal Entry 10 by kerbam1421 at Landover, Maryland USA on Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/24/2009 UTC) at Landover, Maryland USA

I just couldn't get into this book. I'm very disappointed that I couldn't, because it's been on my list of books to read for a while. I only got about half way through it and gave up, which I hate doing! This is off to the next in line. Thank you for including me in this ring.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

DC# 420208539102128882300896341292

Journal Entry 11 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, November 30, 2009
Another bookring! This is about the 5th ring I have received in the last couple of weeks. Thanks everyone for sending this on - I will try to get to it soon.

Journal Entry 12 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Saturday, December 26, 2009
I found this one to be rather fascinating with its gritty look at the underside of Glasgow's vice and corruption. The story is narrated by a gay appraiser, Rilke, for an auction house who finds some shocking photographs of an apparent female "snuff" victim in the property of a deceased owner of a large estate. Rilke is haunted by the photos and sets off to try to determine if they are real. Along the way, he encounters some unsavory facts about the former owner of the estate along with some other unsavory characters. The book includes some rather detailed descriptions of gay sex and the dark aspects of sex trafficking. Overall, I would give this a mild recommendation for delving into some unusual territory and some interesting subject matter including some aspects of the auctioneering trade.

Thanks again for including me in this bookray. I'll be sending this off to SerenityBlue soon.

Journal Entry 13 by wingperryfranwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/26/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to SerenityBlue in Toronto, Canada.

Journal Entry 14 by SerenityBlue from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Thank you Perryfan received in the mail today. I'll read it and try and find canongate if it is in Toronto:)

Journal Entry 15 by SerenityBlue from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 19, 2010
looks like the head office in Scotland. I sent them an e-mail to see if there is a place in Toronto so I'll wait to see if I get a reply

Journal Entry 16 by SerenityBlue at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/10/2010 UTC) at Toronto, Ontario Canada