Testimony

by Anita Shreve | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by chambejd of Millbury, Massachusetts USA on 5/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 19, 2009
This is a hardcover and the UK version (not that you can tell).

Amazon Editorial Review:
At a New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora's box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voices--those of the men, women, teenagers, and parents involved in the scandal--that details the ways in which lives can be derailed or destroyed in one foolish moment.

Writing with a pace and intensity surpassing even her own greatest work, Anita Shreve delivers in TESTIMONY a gripping emotional drama with the impact of a thriller. No one more compellinglyexplores the dark impulses that sway the lives of seeming innocents, the needs and fears that drive ordinary men and women into intolerable dilemmas, and the ways in which our best intentions can lead to our worst transgressions.

Journal Entry 2 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, June 14, 2009
This is an interesting story. Though some parts seemed to drag on, the story did hold my interest. I enjoyed how it was told in parts by many different people.

Journal Entry 3 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Finally in the mail today to lizabeth86. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Lizabeth86 from Middletown, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, December 01, 2009
Arrived on Friday. Thanks Joy.

Journal Entry 5 by Lizabeth86 from Middletown, Connecticut USA on Thursday, December 10, 2009
A good read. I also liked how it was told from different viewpoints.

Journal Entry 6 by Lizabeth86 at Middletown, Connecticut USA on Monday, June 28, 2010
Mailed 6/28/2010.

Journal Entry 7 by lisabb2 at Grimes, Iowa USA on Friday, July 02, 2010
Got in the mail today...will read soon. Thanks!!!

Journal Entry 8 by lisabb2 at Grimes, Iowa USA on Monday, August 16, 2010
This was an interesting read...shows the effect of a sex scandal on various people involved. Sad when it destroys so many people's lives.

Journal Entry 9 by lisabb2 at Grimes, Iowa USA on Saturday, September 04, 2010
Putting this book in 2005 & Newer VBB at BookObsessed.com.

Journal Entry 10 by lisabb2 at Grimes, Iowa USA on Wednesday, November 03, 2010
Removing from 2005 & Newer VBB at BookObsessed.com.

Journal Entry 11 by lisabb2 at Grimes, Iowa USA on Sunday, November 07, 2010
Putting in Everybook VBB at BookObsessed.com.

Journal Entry 12 by lisabb2 at Grimes, Iowa USA on Saturday, January 22, 2011
Picked by HoserLauren. Will mail shortly.

Journal Entry 13 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 05, 2011
Received in the mail yesterday. Thanks lisabb!

Journal Entry 14 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 12, 2011
When the headmaster of Avery Private School receives a tape from one of his faculty members, he knows it's not going to be good news. It winds up showing three members of the basketball team having sexual relations with an underage girl. The book slowly unwinds the story in to the past and in to the future to show what events happened to bring those three boys and girl to the room that night and make the biggest mistakes of their lives.

The story is mostly told from the perspective of three people: Mike the headmaster, Silas one of the boys involved in the scandal, and Noelle, his girlfriend. Mike tells the reader at the beginning of the novel what happened as a result of the controversy and then all of the narratives piece it together. Some of the narratives I found weren't required. For example, the person from the newspaper. I didn't feel like I learned anything from that piece so I'm not sure what the purpose of it was.

There wasn't really anything surprising about this book but it was still an interesting read. It's amazing how a single event, in this case some black ice on a road that caused an accident, could set off such a chain of events.

Journal Entry 15 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 16, 2011
This book is with me :)

Journal Entry 16 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 29, 2011
When the headmaster of a Vermont Prep school receives a videotape of three basketball players engaging in sex with a underage girl, he has to decide what to do. Should he cover it up or expose it and what should happen to the people involved?

This book shows how this incident affects everyone. The boys themselves, the 14 year old girl, the parents of the boys and even the school and future athletes. Each person's voice is heard and this is what makes this story so interesting. The book shows what happens in the future but also what went on in the past to bring the boys to this room.

This all stems from a single slip of a car on black ice. WOW!

Journal Entry 17 by perfect-circle at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, January 30, 2012
Part of my fab birthday package from HoserLauren. I love Anita Shreve books so will look forward to this one. Thank you!

Journal Entry 18 by perfect-circle at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, July 20, 2012
A really good read, how events can spiral from one small incident.