The Adventures & Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by TheLostBook of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 5/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Ths book is part of The Lost Book project. The Lost Book is an animated web series which you can help write. It follows the adventures of investigative journalist, and BookCrosser, Aileen Adler and her dog Watson as they try to solve the crime of a stolen book.

It's all part of a reading campaign that's celebrating the 150th birthday of Arthur Conan Doyle on 22 May 2009.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes are two short-story collections, here in a single volume. These stories are the best of Sherlock Holmes, originally published in The Strand magazine in 1891/92 (The Adventures) and 1893 (The Memoirs). The last story is "The Final Problem" in which Conan Doyle kills his best-loved character... only to be forced to resurrect him in The Hound of the Baskervilles after public outcry.

Bookray - PM at any time, with your shipping preferences, to join.
Bookworm-lady, Spain (EU)
Jozebedee, UK (Int assumed)
tokorua, Australia (Int) - asked to be skipped
rockyhorror1978, Canada (Int)
yoursecretninja, Canada (Int)
earthcaroleanne, UK (EU, Int if needed)
Sfogs, New Zealand (Int)
NMReader, USA (USA)
...

Please could you all do four things:

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book.
2. Read and send on within four weeks - or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer.
3. Make a journal entry when you've finished.
4. Use the cheapest method of shipping available.

If you enjoyed this and would like more Holmes, we also have bookrays for The Sign of Four and The Hound of the Baskervilles. PM with shipping preferences to join.

Journal Entry 2 by TheLostBook at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 01, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (6/2/2009 UTC) at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

This book is starting its journey by travelling to Bookworm-lady in Madrid. Happy reading, everyone, and happy birthday Arthur Conan Doyle!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, June 08, 2009
This book was waiting for me, together with its "mate", when I arrived home today.
Thanks for sending it on; I love the cute postcard.
Looking forward to reading it, and passing it on.
Thanks for sharing!
Eva

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Classic Sherlock Holmes, and as such, highly enjoyable!
You can read these stories once, twice... and never get tired!
This edition contains the earliest cases of the greatest fictional detective, and it is illustrated by Sidney Paget, the man from whom our images of Sherlock Holmes and his world derive.
I include here a pic from Basil Rathbone, mi favourite Sherlock Holmes of all times...
I have asked for Jozebedee's address, and it will soon be on its way to England.
Thanks for sharing, and enjoy!
Eva

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Thursday, November 05, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (11/5/2009 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sent today to Jozebedee, who is next.
Enjoy!
Eva

Journal Entry 6 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 12, 2009
Thanks so much for sending the book on Eva, it has been received safely. I am looking forward to reading this, but have a few books in my TBR pile to get through first. I will get to this as soon as I can, and hope not to hold it up for too long.

Edit: Thanks for your patience, I have finally got this to the top of Mount TBR! It should be moving again soon :)

Journal Entry 7 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 08, 2010
Such an enjoyable book - a must read collection for all Sherlock Holmes fans! I have enjoyed this collection of stories immensely :) I would be really interested in getting the other 2 volumes of The Complete Sherlock Holmes also. I don't think you could ever tire of reading about his quirky investigative methods, behaviour and disguises!
Thanks to TheLostBook for including me in this ray. Tokorua has asked to be skipped, so am sending of to the next on the list - rockyhorror1978.

Released 11 yrs ago (2/8/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending surface mail to rockyhorror1978. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 9 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 18, 2010
Received this book today! I have one other ring ahead of this one and then I will start. Thanks to Jozebedee for passing this book along to me and thelostbook for organizing this ring.

Journal Entry 10 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 06, 2010
I have just finished this book and I am thankful to have read it. Sherlock Holmes will remain as one of the best fictional characters of all times. This collection of his cases are easy and interesting to read.

I was most excited to find the link between Sherlock Holmes and one of my favorite books of all time, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime." I can see similarities between characters: social awkwardness, logical and methodical.

I am definitely going to look for the other books in this series, though I am "Sherlock Holmes-ed" out at the moment.

Thanks to the Lost Book for sharing this classic with me! :)

I have handed this book across my office to the next reader, yoursecretninja.

Journal Entry 11 by yoursecretninja from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 06, 2010
Picked up this book from RockyHorror1978. It's part of the Lost Book ring so I will be passing it along to the next reader when I'm done with. I'm very excited to read this book after seeing the Sherlock Holmes movie that came out recently.