Before You Know Kindness

by Chris Bohjalian | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kerbam1421 of Halethorpe, Maryland USA on 5/15/2009
Journal Entry 1 by kerbam1421 from Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Friday, May 15, 2009
My mom found this while doing some Spring Cleaning, so she brought it to me on a visit, 5/14/09 - I can't remember if I've read it!

Amazon Editorial Review:
Chris Bohjalian, bestselling author of Midwives, presents his most ambitious and multi-layered novel to date--examining wildly divisive issues in today’s America with his trademark emotional heft and spellbinding storytelling skill.

On a balmy July night in New Hampshire a shot rings out in a garden, and a man falls to the ground, terribly wounded. The wounded man is Spencer McCullough, the shot that hit him was fired–accidentally?–by his adolescent daughter Charlotte. With this shattering moment of violence, Chris Bohjalian launches the best kind of literate page-turner: suspenseful, wryly funny, and humane.

Journal Entry 2 by kerbam1421 from Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Bookring rules:
~~ Journal the book when it arrives.
~~ Please try to read and pass along the book within 4-5 weeks. Let us
know if you need more time.
~~ Please journal your thoughts about the book, and then mail the book
ASAP to keep it moving.
~~ Check back here before you're ready to send the book out to insure that
the order hasn't changed.
~~ ENJOY! :)

1) acountkel - North Carolina
2) nancynova - Pennsylvania
3) Hanrahan-Siudy - New York
4) Rrrcaron - New Hampshire
5) MmeClinton - Maine
6) PaulsBooks - Utah
7) Brendalc57 - California <~~~On it's way!

Back to me!

Journal Entry 3 by kerbam1421 at Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/1/2009 UTC) at Halethorpe, Maryland USA

ring1 Pictures, Images and Photos

First stop: North Carolina!

USPS Delivery #: 420282159102785091401087216793

Journal Entry 4 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Monday, July 06, 2009
This book was in my mailbox today after coming home from camping for the weekend.
I have never read a Bohjalian before. Looking forward to this one.
Thank you for including me in the ring!

Journal Entry 5 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Friday, July 31, 2009
****Spoiler Alert******
This book is about a family and how they react to an accidental shooting. Daughter shoots father. I read a few reviews about this book before I started reading it. The one that sticks out in my mind is the one that praised Bohjalian’s character development and how detailed it was. This review was dead on. Bohjalian’s character development is so detailed it is almost to a fault. The reason is because I think it makes the storyline drag sometimes. However, it doesn’t really take away from how talented this writer is. I was slightly disappointed in the fact that I didn’t seem to like any of the characters. Caroline is a flirt and seems more interested in her life than she is in being a mom. Sara is a psychologist and therefore you would think she would have played a bigger role in resolving the family conflict, but she doesn’t. It may be because she has to tend to her infant son. I didn’t dislike John, I felt more pity than anything else. Willow was probably one of the more likeable characters, however, I kept waiting for her to get enough nerve to come out and tell someone the truth about what was going on. I detested Charlotte. I thought she was a spoiled little brat, although typical teenager. And finally, Spencer….I thought he was more likeable after the accident than before. I think he started to realize how important his family was to him as opposed to his obsession with his work. I thought there was a ton of great information in this book about a variety of subjects like animal rights, guns, gardening, being a vegan or vegetarian. The author did a good job showing both sides of each issue instead of trying to push an agenda. This is the first Bohjalian book I have read and it won’t be my last. Very unique writing style and strong story line. I absolutely loved the ending. Ingenious!
Thank you for including me in the ring.
This is off to the next person in the morning.

Journal Entry 6 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, August 03, 2009
When it rains, it pours book rays! Got this today - it's #7 in the rays that have arrived recently. But the good news is that I read fast AND I'm on a staycation vacation next week - so Reading marathon time! I will post again when I start this book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, August 29, 2009
Starting this book and PM'g the next person in line, so it will be ready to mail as soon as I'm done!
9/1 update - have the address, finished the previous ray, so reading this in earnest now.
9/5 update - still reading! I little slow at first, now the story is picking up speed. Will be done this weekend & get into the post on Tuesday.

Journal Entry 8 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, September 06, 2009
Second Bohjalian book that I read (also read Midwives). The first portion of the book dragged with all the info about Spencer and animal rights, and being a vegan. Then it picked up, when the family converged on New Hampshire. I thought the lawsuit was wrong, wrong, wrong - it was just going to cause more harm than good - and I'm glad the families were able to finally mend and grow. Excellent book. Now on it's way to the next reader in the ray on Tuesday, when the post office opens.

Journal Entry 9 by wingNancyNovawing at Schenectady, New York USA on Sunday, September 06, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/8/2009 UTC) at Schenectady, New York USA

Mailing to the next reader in this ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Hanrahan-Siudy from Schenectady, New York USA on Friday, September 11, 2009
arrived safe and sound
should be able to start this week.

Journal Entry 11 by Hanrahan-Siudy from Schenectady, New York USA on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
I really enjoy this book. A compelling tale of what happens to one family as they try to come to grips when a family accident with a gun shatters their way of life. All the characters were well developed and the emotions of each came through the writers words. I laughed and I cried. Good or bad on many subjects this book makes you feel.

Journal Entry 12 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 01, 2009
I received this book in the mail today. Will get to it soon.
Ruth

Journal Entry 13 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, November 10, 2009
This was a wonderful book. Each and every character grows and becomes stronger through a terrible family tragedy. I found that the youngest of them all, Willow, seemed the strongest from the start. This is the second book I have read by this author, and I'm going to look for more.His style of character development is wonderful. Thanks for sharing, and sending on to next reader.
Ruth

Journal Entry 14 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Friday, November 20, 2009
THis book has arrived safely in Maine and is holding up well due to the good care taken by previous ringers! I look forward to this, although I have three books in front of it (yes, everything seemed to come at once!), but having the pile waiting keeps me going! Thanks to Rrrcaron for sending it along!

Journal Entry 15 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, January 11, 2010
I received this book! Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, March 01, 2010
Sorry it took me so long to read this book. Wow, very interesting and disturbing book. I found the family interactions sad...and yet, so real in our busy, self-absorbed world.
Thanks for sharing this book. I will get this off to the next reader!

Journal Entry 17 by tostle at National City, California USA on Sunday, March 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/14/2010 UTC) at National City, California USA

This book is on its way to Brendalc57! Happy travels!

Journal Entry 18 by Brendalc57 at National City, California USA on Thursday, June 03, 2010
I received this book a couple of weeks ago and it had gone to the wrong address...fortunately it found it's way home, thanks to a very good mailhandler I have. I've been quite ill and had not been able to journal...sorry. But here I am and have started to read the book...will be done in about 2 to 3 weeks. End of June is more likely when I will send it on to the next person in line for this one.