Slap, The

by Christos Tsiolkas | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by DrCris of Templestowe, Victoria Australia on 5/13/2009
Journal Entry 1 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
This book has been nominated for the Miles Franklin Award and is therefore part of the MIles Frankline Shortlist Challenge.

"At a suburban barbecue, a man slaps a child who is not his own.
This event has a shocking ricochet effect on a group of people, mostly friends, who are directly or indirectly influenced by the event.
In this remarkable novel, Christos Tsiolkas turns his unflinching and all-seeing eye onto that which connects us all: the modern family and domestic life in the twenty-first century."

I haven't read this, but will try to do so before sending it on its way. The bookring order for this is:

1. Jubby - has read this
2. Freepages
3. Livrecache
4. Goodthinkingmax
5. TQD
6. Back to me, DrCris

If you want to be added to or removed from this list, please let me know. I know there are some on the list who have read it, but I will go through it more finely when I get a chance.

Journal Entry 2 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, October 10, 2009
The Slap has arrived in Canberra! Another big book!
Ouch! Because I've got a few bookrings ahead of it ;-p

I did read an exert of the book a few months ago and found it very compelling reading, so once I get started I'm not anticipating it will take too long.

I'm really curious to see how I find this book.
Someone else I know who has already read it, said she wanted to Slap each and every character in the book and she almost slapped herself silly for having read it.
Makes me very curious about it.

Journal Entry 3 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, November 21, 2009

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It would be a great one to discuss at a Reading Group. In fact, I think this story almost inspires an absolute need to discuss it.
Loved the multicultural connections between the characters. Enjoyed each characters narration and I would love to ask the author why he missed out a narration for one or two of the main characters.
I really enjoyed how what was said and done was so often the complete opposite to what was thought. Sometimes when the truth came out it was almost like a physical slap to some of the characters.
The characters were all so completely flawed. Taking a step back from it some of it was so ironic. The climatic confrontation near the end was almost side-slapping.
The moral of the story, maybe "Beware of Greek men who think they are 'God’s Gift' and beware of little Aussie Bleeders"
I really agreed with what I saw on another review and I couldn't put it any better:
"Last but not least, I wanted to slap the kid, which I realise means I probably do need to discuss this book with someone - maybe a professional!!"
But then, why stop there, gosh, most of the adults needed a slap to “Snap outta it” (thinking of Cher in Moonstruck)

It will be off in the mail to livrecache, with one other, next week.

Journal Entry 4 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, November 21, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/21/2009 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Decided to get this one moving. Placed in the post to Livrecache today with one other.

Thanks for the opportunity to read this one.

Enjoy :-)

Journal Entry 5 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, November 29, 2009
This book was waiting for me when I got back from Hobart yesterday. Naughtily, I'm almost one-third through it, as I'd been wanting to read it for a long time.

Journal Entry 6 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Friday, December 11, 2009
I agree with FreePages' thoughts. I'm looking forward to seeing the ABC series of the book to be televised next year. See http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/tvradio/2009/05/27/1243103592389.html

I did have some minor 'new' things (and a bit critical) to say, but as I've read three books since, my thoughts have disappeared. I have a feeling that I thought it a tad overrated, but then it was amazingly hyped, as happens in the publishing industry when they want a book to sell. (Surprise.) And I think I felt that the Greek characters were cliched, but as the author appears to be Greek, I can't really criticise that. So if I had anything clever to say, it's been lost . . .

Journal Entry 7 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Friday, December 11, 2009
GTM has read this so I've sent an email to TQD.

TQD has also read this, so I'll send it back to DrCris over this weekend.

Journal Entry 8 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, January 05, 2010
Actually sending it today, as DrCris said there was no rush. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 9 by livrecache at Melbourne, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (1/5/2010 UTC) at Melbourne, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 10 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, January 06, 2010
Arrived home. Thanks to all.