Pandora's Box

by Giselle Green | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by LindyLouMac of Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on 5/11/2009
Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, May 11, 2009
Amazon.co.uk:Product Description
According to legend, when Pandora's box is opened it unleashes dark secrets and terrible consequences ! Rachel Wetherby's life has been on hold since the diagnosis of her teenage daughter Shelley with a debilitating - and fatal - illness. So when Rachel's mother offloads a box of her old possessions, including a diary, Rachel feels compelled to escape into a past which - on the surface - was care-free. However, opening up the box unearths secrets and memories best left uncovered. Shelley, meanwhile, is juggling a secret romance with planning her own death. Not for her an undignified and painful end - she'd rather hold her fate in her own hands. Convincing Rachel that she'd like to spend her 15th birthday in Cornwall where she spent so many idyllic childhood summers, she devises her plan. But nothing is as it seems and heartache and surprises lie in store for both mother and daughter! A mesmerising and heartbreaking debut from a stunning British talent about impossible choices and the consequences of our actions. Highly charged and morally complex, this story told from alternate perspectives will captivate fans of Jodi Picoult and The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Giselle Green is an author I was not really aware of until recently when my attention was drawn to her novels on a social media site. After some interaction with regard to her writing I was offered the opportunity by the author herself to review her forthcoming novel 'Finding You', which I have accepted and will be reading and reviewing soon. By coincidence whilst sorting out my many paperbacks I came across a copy of 'Pandora's Box' her début novel, which I decided for a number of reasons to read first. Having now read this emotionally charged novel I think I have discovered another author whose writing I am gong to be enjoying again in the future.

A very moving storyline, especially so if you are a mother yourself as it is about a mother's relationship with her terminally ill child. Narrated from the alternating viewpoints of Rachel Wetherby and her daughter Shelley.
Rachel's mother has given her a box of old possessions and it is this that opens up memories and secrets that may have been better left hidden. As both mother and daughter delve into the box revelations and heartache cause problems for them both. Shelly as she tries to come to terms with an early inevitable death and Rachel as she struggles with feeling that everything is her fault!

Potentially this story had the material to offer more with regards to characterisation, however we must not forget this is a début novel. The fact that the author has gone on to write a number of successful novels since this one was first released way back in 2008, means I feel able to recommend her writing to anyone that enjoys stories with a moral basis. A good choice for Book Clubs as Pandora's Box covers a subject that will evoke a whole range of questions, that you will still find yourself thinking about for a long while after finishing the novel.

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (3/20/2014 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Returning RABCK gesture to a fellow Bookcrosser

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 4 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 22, 2014
Thank you Linda for posting this one on. Now added to the very large TBR pile.

Journal Entry 5 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, June 12, 2016
My next read....I like when I find a TBR book on the shelf I forgot was a Bookcrossing one...looking forward to enjoying this one Linda.

Journal Entry 6 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 27, 2016
Mixed feelings about this read. I think I was expecting more from it, but found it going round in circles a bit before it got to its, for me, a bit of a rushed conclusion, as the author wasn't sure how to end it. I think I was expecting a bit more of a dramatic end but found it a bit 'too nice' and tidy.

Journal Entry 7 by Inver at Belmont Cinema in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (7/13/2016 UTC) at Belmont Cinema in Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

Will be left on the bar/café area on the OBCZ shelf beneath the large screen with other books.