Memoirs of a Geisha: A Novel

by ARTHUR GOLDEN | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rem_SGW-360761 on 5/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rem_SGW-360761 on Monday, May 04, 2009
Got at a sale. Looks interesting.

Journal Entry 2 by rem_SGW-360761 on Tuesday, May 04, 2010
Wow, the story kept me hooked from the beginning. It helped that I recently watched the movie too, but now I plan to go back and rewatch the movie, as it will make a lot more sense now!

This book is fiction, but if it's anything like the real lives of Geishas, then I would find their lives empty and shallow. Even though the story was really interesting, I felt sorry for Sayuri and the other geisha. Their lives were definitely not their own, and some of customs were strange in deed. Even the ending, though I suppose was a happy one for Sayuri, seems a little empty to me.

I'm not disclosing any more....I'll leave the surprises for the next reader!

Journal Entry 3 by rem_SGW-360761 at Madisonville, Kentucky USA on Monday, June 28, 2010
Put in a bookbox to find a new home.

Journal Entry 4 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, July 29, 2010
Read in 2006.

GREAT BOOK. The detail and the care put into this story is simply breathtaking. You aren't just shown the world of the Geisha; you are thrust into the middle of it and run through its busy lifestyle beside Chiyo. Just fantastic.

This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, California before continuing its travels in NattyBee's First Book Box!

Journal Entry 5 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Friday, October 22, 2010
Took this book out of your first bookbox. I have another copy so I will find another reader for this book also!

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, February 03, 2011
Arrived home in my ABC bookbox. Going to decide what to do with the book - add it to round 2 or ??? I have read this book and loved it.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, June 02, 2011
Pulled from ABC Bookbox. I also have read this book, but my daughter hasn't~ she was here helping with my overgrown yard, and has taken it with her~along with the promise to journal and release it after reading.