After Life

by Rhian Ellis | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 5/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, May 04, 2009
I purchased this trade paperback today at the Friends of the Library used book store in Rockville, Maryland. The blurbs attracted me to look inside this book. I read the opening lines, and it sounded interesting.

The opening lines:
"First I had to get his body in the boat. This was more than ten years ago, and I've forgotten some of what came before and after, but that night and the following day I remember in extravagant deatil. I had lain awake all night, trying to imagine how I might get him off the bed and down the stairs and into the rowboat, since he weighed at least a hundred and fifty pounds and might have gone stiff. My bed, I remember felt absurdly uncomfortable as if..."

Well, you get the picture!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, December 25, 2012
This is a relatively quiet book in which Naomi, the daughter of a spiritualist, aspires to follow in the footsteps of her mother. It was, however, the opening line of this book that was the reason I purchased it. This novel opens as follows:

"First I had to get his body into the boat".

Excuse me? Whose body? How did it get in your control? Where were you taking it? Who are you, anyway?

Interestingly, we don't get to know much about the person who became the "body" until the middle of the book. In the first half of this novel Naomi talk about her life and how she learned the art of spiritualism. It's only later (and that was fine with me) that the reader comes to learn why the "body" needed to get into the boat in the first place.

Released 6 yrs ago (4/21/2013 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book at the Kensington International Day of the Book Festival in Kensington, Maryland, USA.

This afternoon street festival celebrates the International Day of the Book with live music, author readings, open microphone, activities for children and adults, storytellers, ...and books, books, books! Local authors, book artists, publishers, booksellers, and literary groups line Howard Ave in Historic Old Town Kensington to show, sell, and discuss their works. All activities are free, rain or shine.

Journal Entry 4 by DianeStraub at Kensington, Maryland USA on Monday, June 24, 2013
Book was interesting. Moved a little slowly with a kind of anti-climactic ending.

I picked it up at the Kensington Book Festival and plan to leave it at the Fitness Evolutiom Gym in White Oak, Maryland the week of June 24, 2013.

Journal Entry 5 by DianeStraub at White Oak, Maryland USA on Monday, June 24, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (6/24/2013 UTC) at White Oak, Maryland USA

Will be left at Fitness Evolution Gym in White Oak, Maryland during the week of June 24, 2013.