A Clockwork Orange

by Anthony Burgess | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 5/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 04, 2009
I recently moved into my boyfriend's flat. As a true test of how much he loves me, he agreed to give away many of his own books in order to make room for mine. Awww...

This is one of those discarded books. I hope it has a good journey and finds many new readers.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 15, 2009
In the end I decided to read this before releasing it. I just love the dialect which Burgess invents. At first it was bamboozling, but gradually my comprehension grew. The violence was - well - very violent! It's understandable why the book and film have created scandal over the years. But ultimately this is a really good work of fiction. If ever I have a fifteen-year old son, I might be tempted to buy him a copy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingLittleSuzwing at Via Post, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/22/2009 UTC) at Via Post, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sent to someone who has it on their wishlist. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by TaxManager from Market Rasen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 24, 2009
It started with a PM asking for my address as LittleSuz said she had a surprise book from my wishlist to send me - I didn't realise quite how she came to have it!

It was a lovely surprise yesterday, which was just one of those lovely days you get every so often. I came home to this surprise book, went off with my boyfriend to see the fabulous T-Rextasy in Skegness and we then had a curry with friends.

I am looking forward to this which I have wanted to read for years but which has never crossed my path. I was going to say I was surprised that it doesn't look to be a very long book but then checked the font size!

Many thanks LittleSuz and your boyfriend!

Journal Entry 5 by TaxManager at Market Rasen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 05, 2011
I had wanted to read this for some time but it took a few attempts. In fact it travelled to Tenerife and back once before because I couldn't get into it.

In the end I started to read it a few pages at a time along with another book. About a third of the way in it got a lot easier and I read the rest quite quickly whilst back in Tenerife!

The "ultra-violence" is what really put me off. The friend I have given the book to tells me that in the film this is portrayed (thankfully) by ballet!

I am glad to have had the opportunity to read it, thanks LittleSuz. I still have Lord of the Rings and Lolita on the "things I really should read but that don't grab me" list!

Journal Entry 6 by TaxManager at Tenerife - Los Cristianos, Islas Canarias Spain on Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/1/2011 UTC) at Tenerife - Los Cristianos, Islas Canarias Spain

Given to a bookcrossing friend who has seen the film but not read the book. I will be interested to hear what he makes of it.

Journal Entry 7 by cdtdorada at Los Cristianos, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Saturday, November 12, 2011
It was a bit hard going at first but once I had absorbed the language it went better and although I read it in small snatches I was eager to find out how Alex's story wound up. I saw the film years ago, the book is better - aren't they always. Thanks for that Tax Manager, I will find somewhere to release it on my travels.