*RAY The Book Thief

by Markus Zusak | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by karen07814 of Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on 5/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, May 04, 2009
To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a
whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with one another and
the world at large. I hope that you will write a journal entry letting me
know that the book has been found, and that you'll stick around a bit and get
to know Bookcrossing. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on
to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like
you did. And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me,
karen07814, as your referring member. Happy reading!

I bought it because it was the mosted wished for book and am intending to start a bookray with it. Please send a private message to the next person on the list when it arrives with you and journal it when you send it to let us know it is still travelling safely. Ideally if it could be read and moved on within 2 weeks that would be great....especially for the people further down the list. Any problems please pm karen07814. Thank you and enjoy the book
Current participants:

sothisdhampir in US willing to ship int'l
oliviapoolside in US willing to ship US
ToXiCKiTTiKiSS in US willing to ship US
jennannej in US willing to ship US, skipped
rooshill in US willing to ship US, skipped
pinkbug1 in US willing to ship int'l
poppys in New Zealand willing to ship int'l<----on it's way here
pingucb in UK willing to ship UK
yayajanuary in Indonesia willing to ship Austria, Australia and Hong Kong
freepages in Aus willing to ship Aus
Elddau1 in Aus willing to ship Aus
foxygirlACT in Aus willing to ship Aus
mummafour in Aus willing to ship int'l
berlinbookworm in (wait for it.....) Germany willing to ship EU
rumble-bee in Germany willing to ship EU
whitehorsy in Belgium willing to ship EU
martaenmichiel in netherlands willing to ship int'l
4serendipity in US willing to ship int'l
and back to me karen07814 I'd like to see whatthe really well read book now looks like!

Journal Entry 2 by karen07814 at Fort Worth, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/5/2009 UTC) at Fort Worth, Texas USA

started here and now over to you and onwards according to the list above please, have a great read!

Journal Entry 3 by sothisdhampir from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Sunday, May 10, 2009
Off to go read! :D Not only is the first bookray I have participated in, but the first book I have caught. :)

Journal Entry 4 by sothisdhampir from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Thursday, May 21, 2009
This book was, for lack of a better word ASTONISHING! It so unlike any other book that I have ever read in both the way the story is delivered and how it plays out. It's a book thats about WWII and the Holocaust...but it's more about living as a child in that difficult time, and learning to make the most of it, rather than being directly involved with it. It's rather refreshing. The author masterfully creates a connection with the characters and the readers...more than anything else this story is about being human, and learning to create everlasting bonds of kinship in the most difficult of times.

Journal Entry 5 by sothisdhampir at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, May 21, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/22/2009 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

On it's way! :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing from Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Received in the mail yesterday, thanks, I'll get to it when I finish the one I'm currently reading

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, June 08, 2009
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
Such an intense, powerful story that I felt out of breath by the time that I finished it. I was gripping the book so hard that I opened the book too far and accidently broke the binding of the book. I recognize that weighty tightness around my chest for grief. I was breathless with grief, I’m still on Himmel Street with my heart swollen in my chest, my tongue like a weight on the bottom of my mouth, useless, no words there. Earlier this week in the book crossing forums there was a question about what book character you would like to be alive. My answer is Hans Huberman, but of course with Rosa and Liesel and Rudy and Max and all of the neighbors and, but wait this is Nazi Germany and this was their setting. They can’t be separated from it and I wouldn’t want that regime to be in power again, G-d forbid!! But here we see a very human face on the common German citizen and what it meant to be a citizen at that point in history and what it cost to try to resist or to take the ultimate step and help a hunted Jew. What did it take to be a Hans or a Rosa? My heart is so full of this story, I feel at the moment that this is one of the best books I have ever read, a book narrated by Death.

“Outside, the sirens howled at the houses, and the people came running, hobbling and recoiling as they exited their homes. Night watched. Some people watched it back, trying to find the tin can planes as they drove across the sky.”

“Please believe me when I tell you that I picked up each soul that day as if it were newly born. I even kissed a few weary, poisoned cheeks. I listened to their last gasping cries. Their French words. I watched their love-visions and freed them from their fear.
I took them all away, and if ever there was a time I needed distraction, this was it. In complete desolation, I looked at the world above. I watched the sky as it turned from silver to grey to the colour of rain. Even the clouds tried to look the other way. Sometimes, I imagined how everything appeared above those clouds, knowing without question that the sun was blonde, and the endless atmosphere was a giant blue eye.
They were French, they were Jews, they were you.”

“Death’s Diary: 1942

It was a year for the ages, like 79, like 1346, to name just a few. Forget the scythe, God damn it, I needed a broom or a mop. And I needed a holiday.
*A SMALL PIECE OF TRUTH*
I do not carry a sickle or scythe.
I only wear a hooded black robe when it’s cold.
And I don’t have those skull-like
facial features you seem to enjoy
pinning on me from a distance. You
want to know what I truly look like?
I’ll help you out. Find yourself
a mirror while I continue. "

Note: because I broke the binding of this copy of the book I have purchased a new one to continue on the bookray. The new book will have the original BCID # and the broken copy will get a new BCID and go in my PC. I am happy to have it as it is a very special book. Good travels to you Book Thief!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/9/2009 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

On its way to itpdx in Oregon. Bye bye Book Thief, have an interesting and safe trip!

Journal Entry 9 by wingitpdxwing from Portland, Oregon USA on Thursday, June 11, 2009
Received today. Should be able to dive right into it.

Journal Entry 10 by wingitpdxwing from Portland, Oregon USA on Sunday, June 14, 2009
Heart-breaking, magical. The story of a young, illiterate girl cut loose from her moorings-she watches her little brother die as her mother takes her to be placed in a foster family on the eve of WWII in Germany. The narrator is Death. With a little humor, some compassion and puzzlement, he gathers up the souls from war-torn Europe and puts together Liesel's story of the people and books of her life from her book, The Book Thief.

"I am haunted by humans."

Tomorrow, this book will leave the City of Roses for the next reader in Virginia.

Journal Entry 11 by wingitpdxwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 15, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/15/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

The book is on its way.

Journal Entry 12 by LaPrimaNerda from Norfolk, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 28, 2009
Yay! Thanks for sending this along.

Journal Entry 13 by LaPrimaNerda from Norfolk, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 09, 2009
I just finished last night. This book is incredible and I will put it in the mail as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 14 by anthy18 from Douglasville, Georgia USA on Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Received the book in the mail today. Looking forward to starting it tomorrow!

Journal Entry 15 by anthy18 at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/18/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Oklahoma USA

I really enjoyed this book. In the mail to continue it's travels. Hope everyone who has it next enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 16 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, August 20, 2009
Arrived today! I should finish the book I'm currently reading by this weekend and then will start this!

Journal Entry 17 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, September 15, 2009
It was my intention this past weekend to devote some time to this book and try to finish it, since I'd had it too long already and was only halfway through it. Well, the weekend came and went, and I never even opened it. I just haven't been able to stay interested in it. Usually I love books set during this time period, but this one just has not appealed to me. So today I'm sending it on to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 18 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 03, 2009
stalled in the US now restarted

Journal Entry 19 by emmagoldmanzine from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, November 16, 2009
The replacement book arrived this weekend (sorry I didn't enter sooner but I had computer issues). I started it today and hope to get some time to finish it off before Thanksgiving and get it out before the end of the month. Thanks karen07814 for doing this ring.

Journal Entry 20 by emmagoldmanzine from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, December 08, 2009
I thought this book was beautiful. The holiday season is so busy but I completely found time to get through it. I loved the voice of death and I want to hang out with Liesel and Rudy and steal books and listen to accordian music. Very touching.

It's off to ToXiCKiTTiKiSS today.

Thanks so much for sharing this book, karen07814.

Journal Entry 21 by TemekuGirl from Temecula, California USA on Wednesday, December 30, 2009
I will read this as soon as I can! Thanks. :)

Journal Entry 22 by TemekuGirl from Temecula, California USA on Wednesday, January 20, 2010
This was a really good book. I kept wanting to continue it into the early hours of the morning. I loved that it was narrated by Death, which I have not found in any other books. The ending was so powerful and shocking.

O2/O7/1O-Received pinkbug1's address. Will now send out! :)

Journal Entry 23 by pinkbug1 from Monterey, California USA on Thursday, February 25, 2010
Just for in the mail from Temecula! Right around where I'm from, San Diego, so good to here from home =) I can't wait to read this, what a great cover! I like it much more then the American cover I've seen, I'll try and read it as soon as possible and get it out!

Journal Entry 24 by pinkbug1 at Kilbirnie, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, May 27, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/27/2010 UTC) at Kilbirnie, Wellington Province New Zealand

Just sent to Poppys in New Zealand, finally! Hope all is well and you enjoy the book as much as I did! *Cheers!*