Love in the Time of Cholera

by Gabriel Garcia Marques | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Bongalonga of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 5/3/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Bongalonga from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 03, 2009
Received as a gift on my hen weekend - a great idea by tashclayton who gave me Issac's Storm - The Drowning of Galveston by Erik Larson :-)

Journal Entry 2 by Bongalonga from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Another 1001 book to add to the list, although not in my view one of the high flyers. The story was good enough (if a little long-winded), interesting insight into Columbia's history and its rivers, a heart-warming love story and I was very excited by the several mentions of Curacao (as that is where I am as I read it). The main downfall for me was the unbelievably long chapters. The author made no attempt to break the book down into bite size chunks - each chapter of 50-70 pages (with no sub-chapters or breaks) was a full 2 hour reading session and I hate to put a book down mid-chapter!

This is the 4th book in our book club. To pass along around our book club...hopefully someone new will be tempted to join bookcrossing...

Hoping then, if there is enough interest, to make this an international bookray.

Journal Entry 3 by Bongalonga at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 22, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (6/20/2009 UTC) at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Released to Bagey in our book club, then onward to the bookray proper

Journal Entry 4 by Bagey from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 22, 2009
Thanks Bongalonga, will pass on/back for the bookray ASAP

Journal Entry 5 by Bagey at on Sunday, August 02, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (7/29/2009 UTC) at

Read and passed back to Bongalonga for her bookray

Journal Entry 6 by Bongalonga from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 02, 2009
Thanks Bagey - this is now an international bookray.

"'It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love'
Fifty-one years, nine months and four days have passed since Fermina Daza rebuffed hopeless romantic Florentino Ariza's impassioned advances and married Dr Juvenal Urbino instead. During that half century, Florentino has fallen into the arms of many delighted women, but has loved none but Fermina. Having sworn his eternal love to her, he lives for the day when he can court her again.

When Fermina's husband is killed trying to retrieve his pet parrot from a mango tree, Florentino seizes his chance to declare his enduring love. But can young love find new life in the twilight of their lives?"

A few guidelines:
1. Journal the book when you receive it so I know it arrived safely.
2. Personal message the next person and make a note that you've done so.
3. Take as much time as you need to read it, but try and move it along within a reasonable time.
4. Mail the book to the next person. PLEASE put on a journal entry or release note when you've done this.

Please PM me if you would like to join in. List is subject to order change depending upon shipping preference.

Bongalonga (UK, no pref)
earthcaroleanne (UK, no pref)
Jozebedee (UK, UK/EU)
Jonniboi (UK, UK pref)
BokOrm09 (UK, UK pref)
Danielle23 (UK, UK pref) <- book is here
BonnethillBunny (UK, no pref)
carenhf (US, US pref)
allthesepieces (US, US pref)
hereticcoy (US, no pref)
tamichan (Japan, no pref)
Sherlockfan (NZ, no pref)

I have earthcaroleanne's address so sending on at the weekend

Journal Entry 7 by Bongalonga at Luddendenfoot, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 13, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (8/8/2009 UTC) at Luddendenfoot, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Sent on in the bookray

Journal Entry 8 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 13, 2009
Hi, received today thanks. I'll add it to my bundle - unfortunately I've a got a couple to read first but I'll soon make my way through them.

Journal Entry 9 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 21, 2009
Can't say I hugely enjoyed this book. I didn't think it was much of a love story because Fermina Daza seemed a bit of a spoilt brat, wanting and getting her own way and Florentino was just pathetic. I did enjoy the descriptions of the scenes though which were usually pretty unpleasant. All in all, a bit of a disappiontment for a 1001 book.

Journal Entry 10 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 21, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (9/21/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Jozebedee

Journal Entry 11 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 24, 2009
Book has arrived - thank you. I promise to get to it as soon as possible! :)

Journal Entry 12 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 01, 2010
What a fantastic book! I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez - he writes such poetic, beautiful books. I thought that his interpretations of love during a persons twilight years very moving. At times I felt so sorry for Florentino, but at times was also quite disturbed by some of his 'shenanigans' LOL. I actually quite liked the character of Fermina also, and found her moodiness quite amusing. I thought the ending slightly wishy-washy after main bulk of the book, but to have ended it with them facing their realities probably would have been a bit harsh after all.
A worthy entry on the 1001 list.
Thanks Bongalonga for letting me keep it longer than hoped - I have Jonniboi's address and will send this out as soon as I get the chance.

Released 11 yrs ago (1/4/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Now in the post! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 14 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 05, 2010
I've received this, I have a few books infront of this, I so hope I manage to read this in time!

Journal Entry 15 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, February 08, 2010
This didn't suit me and was for older readers than myself, I think, and I got confused quite a few times, I decided to carry on with it, but it still was pretty confusing!

Shall send off to the next person in line pretty soon!

Journal Entry 16 by Jonniboi at Orpington, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (2/17/2010 UTC) at Orpington, Kent United Kingdom

Sent off to BokOrm09!

Journal Entry 17 by BokOrm09 from Sevenoaks, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, February 19, 2010
Arrived in today's post. I have a couple of books to get through ahead of this one, but will get to it asap. Thanks to Bongalonga for organising and to Jonniboi for sending it on so quickly.

Journal Entry 18 by BokOrm09 from Sevenoaks, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Have messaged the next person in the ring, and will send the book on as soon as I have their address. Should be moving within the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 19 by BokOrm09 at Chelsfield, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, April 15, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (4/15/2010 UTC) at Chelsfield, Greater London United Kingdom

On its way to the next person in the ring. Sorry for being such a slow coach. Had a couple of other very uninspiring books to wade through before I got the this one.

I hope you enjoy this one!! Thanks tp Bongalonga for organising and Danielle23 for being so patient.

Journal Entry 20 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, April 17, 2010
The book arrived safely this morning. I am halfway through my other bookring so will get to it as soon as I can xx

Journal Entry 21 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, May 06, 2010
I really enjoyed this book and read through it really quickly. I actually finished this book almost two weeks ago now and am so sorry for not journalling it sooner. I loved the love story contained within but do not think that anyone could be so patient especially with a woman of Fermina Daza's character.

I will pass this book on ASAP and am PMing BonnethillBunny now xx

Journal Entry 22 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, May 10, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (5/10/2010 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to BonnethillBunny, the next in line. Hope you enjoy it and thanks for including me in this ring xx

Journal Entry 23 by BonnethillBunny from Pitlochry, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 22, 2010
Arrived safely thank you :)