The Shadow Catcher: A Novel

by Marianne Wiggins | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 5/2/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, May 02, 2009
This book was donated to the OBCZ shelf at Three Fine Cups by Lisa, the owner, who received this book in a donation from the local grocery store. (I really must speak to that manager.)

From the cover -
The Shadow Catcher dramatically inhabits the space where past and present intersect, seamlessly interweaving narratives from two different eras: the first fraught passion between turn-of-the-century icon Edward Curtis (1868 - 1952) and his muse-wife, Clara; and a twenty-first-century journey of redemption.
Narrated in the first person by a reimagined writer named Marianne Wiggins, the novel begins in Hollywood, where top producers are eager to sentimentalize the complicated life of Edward Curtis as a sunny biopic: "It's got the outdoors. It's got adventure. It's got the do-good element." Yet, contrary to Curtis's esteemed public reputation as servant to his nation, the artist was an absent husband and disappearing father. Jump to the next generation, when Marianne's own father, John Wiggins (1920 - 1970), would live and die in equal thrall to the impulse of wanderlust.
Were the two men running from or running to? Dodging the false beacons of memory and legend, Marianne amasses disparate clues - photographs and hospital records, newspaper clippings and a rare white turquoise bracelet - to recover those moments that went unrecorded, "to hear the words only the silent ones can speak." The Shadow Catchers, fueled by the great American passions for love and land and family, chases the silhouettes of our collective history into the bright light of the present.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Three Fine Cups in Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 03, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (5/3/2009 UTC) at Three Fine Cups in Taneytown, Maryland USA

I'll leave this on the BC bookshelf in the middle room.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing -- maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 06, 2010
Brought this home from the recently closed Taneytown Cafe/Three Fine Cups. This hb will be released again soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Carlsbad, California USA on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (3/9/2010 UTC) at Carlsbad, California USA

This is headed west for someone special who has this book on her wishlist. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Secretariat from Carlsbad, California USA on Thursday, March 18, 2010
Arrived safely. What a nice surprise to receive in the mail. Thanks so much, Mary. I'll let you know what I think of it when I read it.

Journal Entry 6 by Secretariat at Carlsbad, California USA on Saturday, June 25, 2016
I just realized I have two copies of this book. Since this is hard back I'll release this one soon.

Journal Entry 7 by Secretariat at Village Kitchen & Pie Shop in Carlsbad, California USA on Saturday, July 02, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (7/2/2016 UTC) at Village Kitchen & Pie Shop in Carlsbad, California USA

Released for the 2016 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Release Challenge, Week 26, Second Quarter Re-do.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the BookCrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Secretariat. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.