Cherry

by Chandra Mayor | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 4/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 25, 2009
Set in Winnipeg, by a Canadian author. I found it at the Children's Hospital Book Market. After I read it I'll release it for the Canada Day release challenge.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, September 13, 2009
Yikes. This story set in the mean streets of Winnipeg, apparently in the "skinhead scene" of the 1990's (I've never really paid enough attention to conclude we had a skinhead scene per se, but now that Mayor has brought it to my attention, I can certainly say, it's not a scene, I'd want to be a part of). The story is told by a young woman (teenaged likely) who is part of that scene, trapped in a world of drugs, violence, poverty and violence. I noticed that she does not give us her name (and I'm not sure whether we are to take her name as being Cherry, the title of the book or not) but even her abusive boyfriend does not refer to her by name (only "Baby") in the apologetic letters he writes to her after beating her up.

It's an ugly ugly story and frighteningly, Cherry (or whatever her name) becomes pregnant and decides (this time) to keep the baby. Neither she nor (and especially not) her murderous boyfriend is equipped to give this child anything like a good life. The end of the story gives us the faintest of hope that she may be able to escape the sort of life she leads - but only the faintest of hope.

And while I said this is an ugly story, the language of it is not. I actually loved reading the book for the language of it. I've never read any of the author's award winning poetry, but feel that I might just have to. The imagery throughout this book is startlingly vivid. The narrator describes Winnipeg as "hold[ing] you in its grey asphalt arms as you stumble home from the all night cafe, over bridges with railings like shattered teeth" and her own body after a night out, "blossom[ing] purple like an insomniac morning glory."

Being from Winnipeg, I could easily picture the seedy apartments on Langside and Ruby and the numerous other inner city streets upon which the narrator temporarily resides, as well as the welfare office near the Sals on Sherbook. It's definitely not a book I'd send to anyone wanting to know what life is like in Winnipeg because it is all too accurate.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Broadway in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, September 13, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/13/2009 UTC) at Broadway in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I left this book on a much kinder street in a much kinder "scene" than that described in the book.

You'll find it on a ledge on the north side of Broadway where I left it as I enjoyed Ciclovia (happening today between Main and Osborne). I think it was outside 363 Broadway. Just look for the lovely pot of pink flowers!

I've released the book for week #37 of the Never Judge a Book by its Cover release challenge. The theme this week is "colours in the title".

I read the book for John Mutford's 3rd Canadian Book Challenge over at his blog The Book Mine Set.

I hope the finder enjoys it!