Death Message (Tom Thorne Novels)

by Mark Billingham | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by BookAidBrownies of Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on 4/22/2009
Journal Entry 1 by BookAidBrownies from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 22, 2009
This book was donated for release for our Brownie Unit's Changing the World Challenge.

We have decided to support BookAid International and have placed a collecting tin beside our bookcrossing basket to raise funds for this cause.

Journal Entry 2 by BookAidBrownies at Courtyard Restaurant in Crathes, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/24/2009 UTC) at Courtyard Restaurant in Crathes, Scotland United Kingdom

In the bookbasket on the table with the colouring in pictures.

Hello

This book is free.

However while you are here please consider leaving a donation for BookAid International and help a local Brownie Unit with their Centenary Changing the World Challenge.

Thank you.

Journal Entry 3 by elviraro on Monday, January 04, 2010
I'm sorry I didn't journal the book until now, I've received several months ago. I'll try to make it up by organising a bookring with it.

Journal Entry 4 by elviraro on Monday, January 04, 2010
I'm starting a bookring for this book. Please PM me or post in this thread if you'd like to join.

Participants so far:

BokOrm09 from UK (can post within Europe)
mafarrimond from UK (can post within Europe)
Icila from France (can post worldwide)
kysu from Finland (can post within Europe)
silvia-pco from Portugal (can post within Europe)

Journal Entry 5 by elviraro at Orpington, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/10/2010 UTC) at Orpington, Kent United Kingdom

The book is now on its way to the first participant.

Journal Entry 6 by BokOrm09 from Sevenoaks, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, March 28, 2010
Arrived safely in yesterday's post. I have a couple of other books to read first but will read this asap. Thanks to Elviraro for organising this ring.

UPDATE 29/04/10
This is the first Mark Billingham book I've read and I really enjoyed it. I liked the way you were given different angles to the investigation, and it was done in a way that was very clear. Definitely encouraged me to read more Tom Thorne stories.

I've just sent a message to the next reader to confirm address details and will send this book on in its journey as soon as I hear back.

Journal Entry 7 by BokOrm09 at Chelsfield, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, May 01, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/1/2010 UTC) at Chelsfield, Kent United Kingdom

Posted today by second class post to mafarrimond. Enjoy!!! :)

Journal Entry 8 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, May 09, 2010
The book has arrived safely. I will read it as soon as I am able and pass on.

Journal Entry 9 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, May 27, 2010
An introduction to Mark Billingham to me and a promising beginning. I will read more.

Journal Entry 10 by mafarrimond at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/2/2010 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

Posted onto the next participant. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, June 09, 2010
Arrived this morning. Thanks.

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, June 25, 2010
Interesting novel. A bit difficult to catch with the too many cops, perhaps...

PMing the next.

Journal Entry 13 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, June 30, 2010
I' m very sorry. I made a mistake and this book is in its way to China.

Journal Entry 14 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Wednesday, July 14, 2010
I received it about 5 minutes ago. It was sent to me by mistake, but it looks like an interesting book. Will PM the originally intended recipient to see if they mind if I read it before sending it on again.

Journal Entry 15 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Sunday, August 01, 2010
I'm actually kinda glad to have gotten it by mistake. It was a page-turner and I finished it in 2 days. The suspense of waiting to see who the next victim might be made it difficult to put the book down. It's also an introduction to Mark Billingham, and Tom Thorne.

Am ready to send it off, but still trying to contact the next in line.

Journal Entry 16 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Sunday, August 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/27/2010 UTC) at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China

Couldn't reach kysu, so it's now off to silvia-pco in Portugal. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, September 09, 2010
Arrived today! I have a couple of books to read before I can pick this up, but I'll try to be quick. I'll keep you posted.

Journal Entry 18 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, October 31, 2010
I finished reading this book during the beginning of the month, but things have been so crazy lately that I probably forgot to come and make my JE... I'm very, very sorry!

I quite liked this book. As Icila said, sometimes it was hard to catch up with all those cops that kept getting involved, but the story was very interesting. I liked how this wasn't one of those thrillers that turns the detective into some sort of super hero that cracks the case in a heartbeat. The author took its time in developing the plot and managed to give a good idea of the various pieces the investigation was made of.

With no one left on the list, I guess the book will be on its way home now. I'll PM elviraro for instructions :)

Journal Entry 19 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, May 01, 2012
I was never able to reach elviraro in order to send the book back home. My PMs were never answered and I'm guessing she has left BC or is no longer an active member. After some consideration, I deserve the book deserves to be back to traveling, so I'll release it as a BookRay :)

List of participants: (accepting entries! PM me if you want in!)

01. Boekentrol, Netherlands

02. Bookworm-lady, Spain (INT'lL shipping)
03. alexiapapa, Greece (EU shipping)

04. hnance27, USA (USA shipping)

Guidelines (based on JennyC1230's)

1. When you receive book, please make a journal entry.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address.
3. After you read the book, tell us what you thought of it.
4. When you mail the book, make another journal entry to let us know.
5. I'll set the reading deadline as 2 months; I know what it feels like to have a huge Mount TBR and the struggle one does to keep up with the deadlines, so I'll be flexible here. If you are having trouble and need to keep it for a little longer, that's cool: just PM me or make a JE so that we can know it hasn't been forgotten.
6. If you're the last person on the list, you're free to keep it, continue the Bookray, start a Bookring... it's up to you!
8. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, February 12, 2013
The book arived safely today. Thank you for sending it out, silvia-pco! I look forward to reading it.
I do have 2,5 ring before I can start reading this book, but I will keep you updated. It has a safe temporary home here with me.

Journal Entry 21 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, March 05, 2013
I liked this book. Despite it is #7 in the series, I did not have any difficulty following the story line. Every now and then there were hints to the past, but never so cryptic or of so much importance, that I lost track of the story.

About the book itself. I liked it. Sometimes the choice of word was difficult, I'm not very good at slang, let alone in a different language. The fact that I've watched my share of British crime did help here:-). I liked the way the story was told, the bad guy even got my sympathy, that's usually not the case at all. And I loved the ending, that left me with a BIG question mark.
Maybe that'll be solved in the next book?

Journal Entry 22 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/27/2013 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

On its way to the next in line: Bookworm-lady. Safe travels, little book, I hope you arrive safe and soon.

Journal Entry 23 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, April 01, 2013
And here it is, safe and sound! :)
I will bump the bookray thread, to see if there are more BCers willing to read it.
Thanks for sharing, Silvia-pco, and thanks for sending it on, Boekentrol! :)

Journal Entry 24 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, July 06, 2013
Currently reading.
I will bump again the thread, to see if we can get more participants. :)

Journal Entry 25 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, August 05, 2013
I really enjoyed this one... though I must confess it took me a long time to finish it!
It has a very promising start, but then the author takes a lot of time developing the characters... and there are many of them, mind you! I assume that all these characters appear in all the Thorne novels, and therefore are quite well known to their usual readers. The thing is that they are very life-like and interesting, so you just can't stop reading!
A plus for me was its setting: I lived six years in North London, working as a nanny, and therefore I am quite familiar with Green Lanes, Wood Green (see pic), Turnpike Lane... though I never imagined there was such a high crime rate there! (The writer mentions a life expectancy of 10 years less in Haringey?)
Thanks for sharing this, Silvia-pco, and for your flexibility with time.
I will soon send it to its next reader in Greece, and will try to find more EU readers willing to send internationally.

Journal Entry 26 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/22/2013 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Alexiapapa, in Greece.
Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 27 by alexiapapa at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Thursday, August 29, 2013
Safe at my hands! Going to read it when my list of tbr gets smaller! Thanks :)

Journal Entry 28 by alexiapapa at Tongs Bar in Milano, Lombardia Italy on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (5/2/2014 UTC) at Tongs Bar in Milano, Lombardia Italy

A nice investigation book that gave you enough clues to follow the story and keep following it in a way.

The book is now left at Tong's bar, at the bookshelf!

Journal Entry 29 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Milano, Lombardia Italy on Wednesday, September 03, 2014
Not yet read