The Vanished Man (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)

by Jefferey Deaver | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by PiscinaLivros on 4/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by PiscinaLivros on Sunday, April 19, 2009
Arrived.
It goes directly to the "Pool" at the First Portuguese Convention.
Thanks Pequete and irusdodot.

Released 10 yrs ago (5/9/2009 UTC) at Piscina de Livros da I Convencao Nacional in Maceda, Aveiro Portugal

Mergulho na Piscina!

Journal Entry 3 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, May 11, 2009
One of the book that I got in the convention.
Here's a quick synopsis: "It begins at a prestigious music school in New York City. A killer flees the scene of a homicide and locks himself in a classroom. Within minutes, the police have him surrounded. When a scream rings out, followed by a gunshot, they break down the door. The room is empty.
Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are brought in to help with the high-profile investigation. For the ambitious Sachs, solving the case could earn her a promotion. For the quadriplegic Rhyme, it means relying on his protégée to ferret out a master illusionist they've dubbed "the conjurer," who baits them with gruesome murders that become more diabolical with each fresh crime. As the fatalities rise and the minutes tick down, Rhyme and Sachs must move beyond the smoke and mirrors to prevent a terrifying act of vengeance that could become the greatest vanishing act of all."

Journal Entry 4 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, July 03, 2009
Rhyme and Sachs are not my favourite cop tag team in the world of fiction, mainly because it gets a bit too CSI from time to time.
But in this book Deaver pulls out some very good tricks and a whole lot of twists.
The villain is great, an illusionist who does all the possible illusions you can think of, and then some. Deaver really works the background on magic tricks and their most famous performers, we get a little history of illusionism here.
The pace of the novel is typical Deaver, fast and with no time to waste and the plot is pretty tight although some conclusions reached by Rhyme really have to be spelled out after he’s reached them.
It’s a very satisfying “whodunit” although I felt that the villain deserved a more “magical” ending, but that’s just me.
Certainly worth the read and it’s probably the best Rhyme novel I’ve read so far, except maybe for The Empty Chair.

Journal Entry 5 by kizmiaz at Book Box, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 25, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/25/2010 UTC) at Book Box, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 6 by nediamnori87 from St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 06, 2010
This was a lovely surprise to receive in the post this morning thank you very much!