Kara, the Lonely Falcon

by Joseph F. Girzone | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 4/15/2009
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Book Description:

Kara, The Lonely Falcon is a tale of life, love, and self-sacrifice, as they all occur among the meek and powerful animals of th forest. The story of Kara's gentle, friend-filled life, and his gradual preparation for heaven, is one with universal appeal.

Review found on Amazon.com:

This is truly a lovely allegory. Kara, the central character in this story is a large, powerful falcon. He is a predator by nature, devouring smaller creatures. During one attack, he swoops down on a dove. The dove begs for her life and when Kara looks into her eyes and sees her fear, he relents and releases her. From then on, Kara changes his priorities. He learns to eat berries and vegetables because he can no longer bring himself to kill another living creature. The gentle dove in turn, welcomes Kara into the woodland creatures' community where they bond and welcome even more animals of all species.

Kara is a symbol for St. Paul, the former Saul known for his persecution of Christians. The gentle dove is a symbol of the Angel who appeared to Paul and who helped him rethink his priorities and become a Christian. (The dove, long recognized as the symbol of peace is often referred to in Scripture). The woodland creatures could be the Disciples or as a Christian community of caring. The end of the book reinforces the Christian theme beautifully by describing Kara's ultimate sacrifice -- he eats Manna (communion, perhaps) and takes a swan song (falcon song) flight into the sun. At the end of his life, he is transformed into a myriad of beautiful colors that his woodland friends know as being him. It is one of best books in Christian literature. It is a heart warmer. Please read it. It will really touch your heart.

Found in the free book bin at McKay's Used Books & CD's in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Released 11 yrs ago (5/11/2009 UTC) at Wild Birds Unlimited/Blockbuster - Rose Creek in Woodstock, Georgia USA

Left in the literature holder next to the front door in a plastic bag in case it rains tonight!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by WMJMGL from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, July 03, 2009
Thanks Jenny, for introducing me to Kara! As you know, a story about birds is right up my alley... It's a very sweet story, with a much deeper meaning. I'm happy to pass it on and send it on it's way.

Journal Entry 4 by cmbagmc22 from Crowley, Louisiana USA on Monday, July 27, 2009
I "caught" Kara from one of my four sisters at her home in Georgia. At times, I can see myself as this falcon. The words that struck me the most at this junction in my life were found on page 27...the last paragraph. I'm 53 years old, and yes the book, even though a simple read, is pertinent to young and old. The falcon could also be the Lord, God himself. Anyone who surrenders his/her heart to the Lord is a definate candidate for being a falcon, and being useful to God to affect the people in their sphere of influence. Let's love. (And thanks for loving me my Sissy. THANKS so much.)
Luh U