Human Limbs and Their Substitutes

Registered by wingResQgeekwing of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 6/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 04, 2003
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

The lengthy subtitle of this 1954 textbook reads "Presenting Results of Engineering and Medical Studies of the Human Extremities and Application of the Data to the Design and Fitting of Artificial Limbs and to the Care and Training of Amputees." What a mouthful! :-D

This book was originally given to me as a gag gift. The exact details have become fuzzy, but my recollection is that this book was supposed to be a cookbook. In that context, the title was amusing, if a little crude.

As this text was published almost 50 years ago, and is a highly technical treatment of the subject matter, I seriously doubt that there are going to be many people anxious to read this. I'm currently thinking about trying to have some fun with this book, maybe a themed bookring or something similar. Once I figure out some details, I'll set things up and get the ball rolling.

Journal Entry 2 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 14, 2003

The HUMAN LIMBS Bookray

Because I don't expect there to be much interest in actually reading this book, I thought it might be nice to use this book as a vehicle for some fun. With that in mind, what I'm hoping for is for journal entries with pictures of the book at locations inspired by the book itself. These locations can be obvious or obscure (though if its obscure, an explanation in the journal entry would be nice). Take a picture of the book, and make a journal entry with the picture. In addition, links to additional pictures of the location or official websites for the locations could also be added to the journal (this is strictly optional). The main thing is to have fun!

Here's the bookray order:

Zmrzlina (Boston, MA)
GoryDetails (Nashua, NH)
DrNoelle (Brooklyn, NY)
skcreader (Roanoke, VA)
lightwavz (Detroit, MI)
avanta7 (Little Rock, AR)
caligula03 (Pacifica, CA)
keycollect (Rapid City, SD)(Skipped)
BrynnSC (West Columbia, SC) **
kamalamalama (Mt. View, HI)

When each person is ready to send the book on, he or she should send the next peson on the list a pm asking for their address.

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 14, 2003
To get things started, and to give you some idea what I've got in mind, here's the first Official Journal entry for the Bookray.

Today, Human Limbs and Their Substitutes visited a sculpture called "The Awakening," located at Haines Point in East Potomac Park, in Washington, DC. This sculpture depicts a giant rising up out of the ground. All that is visible is his face, right arm, left hand, left knee, and right foot. Since the bulk of this sculpture consists of "human limbs," it seemed to be a perfect place for the book to visit. (Click on the thumbnail to enlarge picture.)

Additional pictures from the visit can be found here.

Released on Monday, June 23, 2003 at fellow BookCrosser in USPS, postal release USA.

The bookray is jumping off--I'm sending the book on its way to Zmrzlina, first on the list. I made a note inside the cover that is mostly intended for the eventual wild release at the end of the ray.

Everybody have fun with this book. I look forward to reading the journal entries.

Journal Entry 5 by PostMuse from Wellfleet, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 02, 2003
Oh my goodness...this is a TOME! I haven't decided where to take it for its photo shoot, but it will be next Wed when I have my next day off. This is going to be fun! Thank you ResQgeek!

Journal Entry 6 by PostMuse from Wellfleet, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, July 27, 2003
Human Limbs and Their Substitutes travelled with me just about everywhere throughout July. I wanted to find an interesting photo shot for the journal. One day, while at work, sorting new books, I noticed a bit of attraction developing between Human Limbs and Their Substitutes and another book, Ambulance Girl. I happened to catch them snuggling up, much to the chagrin of current love, Stiff. I will be sending Human Limbs and Their Substitutes off to GoryDetails tomorrow as I fear loose pages will come of letting this attraction continue.

Journal Entry 7 by PostMuse at USPS Post Office in Norwell, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, July 27, 2003
Released on Sunday, July 27, 2003 at United States Postal Service in Norwell, Massachusetts USA.

Release notes for a controlled release...very bad, I know. But I want it to appear in the last release column because it is such a fun bookray :-)

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 04, 2003
This heavy-duty tome was delivered to my door today by my (much put-upon but still friendly!) mailman; many thanks! [I love the Hogwarts house-crest stickers, too; will take one set and send the rest along with the book.]

As someone who might actually *read* this - and will certainly look at the pictures - let me just thank ResQgeek for starting this ray!

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, August 16, 2003
The first chapters of this tome were quite interesting - describing something of the history of amputations and the types of problems presented (both to the surgeon and to the patient). Considerations of lifestyle changes, psychological problems, and so forth, seemed fairly thorough, despite the age of the book... and the list of considerations as to whether amputation was necessary or not seemed comprehensive. All in all, a more informative and entertaining read than I'd expected - although if you'd like a thoroughly fascinating book on the subject of the treatment of wounds (including amputations) through the ages, try Majno's The Healing Hand.

The photo is of "Human Limbs and Their Substitutes" taking a brief rest out in my garden, nestled among some sweet woodruff and echinacea and leaning against a charming little replica of a hand that some friends gave me for Christmas a few years back. It's allegedly the hand of a young woman who played violin - but whether it's a model from life or a cast of a statue on her tomb is unknown... As a substitute for a human appendage it's a bit on the rigid side, but works very well as a paperweight! [Update: written on the back of the hand statuette is what looks like: "Manet (or Manel) Pruell (or Powell), vis (or his) wrist, 1893" - I googled these but can't track it down. So maybe it's a him and not a her, though the hand's small and fine. A mystery!]

I've sent the book on to its next stop, DrNoelle in New York. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 10 by DrNoelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, August 21, 2003
It arrived safe and sound today, well wrapped to prevent any amputations or other mutilations by USPS. I have a couple ideas for where this book might visit.

Journal Entry 11 by DrNoelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, September 01, 2003
Human Limbs and I took a ride on New York City's famous A train (it's a subway!). The line runs from the Rockaways in Queens, near JFK Airport, through Brooklyn, and up nearly the entire length of Manhattan. The station we got off at is at 14th Street and 8th Avenue, in Manhattan, where you can take an L into Brooklyn, or an A, C, or E uptown or downtown.

Recently I noticed interesting little sculptures spread throughout the station, on stairwells, platforms, and even in a few instances hanging from above (and fortuitously was about the time ResQGeek announced this bookray). The piece which initially caught my attention was a pair of feet. Or is it? If you look closely, there's 2 ankles coming up out of a base having *NINE* toes (and it's all one big foot!). So the book posed between the truncated ankles for BookCrossing posterity.

I have some more photos of other pieces in the installation, just need to figure out how to get them linked here somehow.

Journal Entry 12 by DrNoelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, September 04, 2003
The bookray heads for skcreader next! I'm off to the post office in the morning.

Pictured here, the A train.

Journal Entry 13 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Monday, September 08, 2003
received today - I have a story to tell!

Journal Entry 14 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Wednesday, October 08, 2003
I had the best of intentions with this project ...but then life issues got in the way. I have both personal and professional interest in this topic - my brother has an above the knee amputation and I have worked in orthopedics as a RN. Alas, this book must move on.....

Journal Entry 15 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Tuesday, October 21, 2003
Human Limbs just missed traveling to Niagara-on-the-Lake and Buffalo over the weekend. Oh well, there are still plenty of adventures in store here in the Detroit area! I'll keep everyone up to date on its social itinerary!

Journal Entry 16 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
"Human Limbs" and I (along with leppojoove) spent a long day today touring the city of Detroit. I was a little chilly, But HL really got into the spirit of things and flapped pages in the wind, enjoying every stop! Here he is looking on in awe at the Arm of Joe Louis statue at the corner of Woodward and Jefferson. At first, HL wanted to get out and see the limb close up, but then felt shy as a group of 25 tourists assembled for a portrait underneath. We moved on, sadly.

Journal Entry 17 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
We drove by the City of Detroit statue, but it was in too much shadow for a good photo. Instead, we went a little further up Jefferson and met this jaunty family... Have you heard of the Jaipur foot? This seems to be the Jaipur Limb Family. They reside outside the UAW National Training Headquarters.

Journal Entry 18 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
Here is the littlest Family member. He said that he would really be interested in getting some hands when he grows up. The book had some good ideas, but nothing in the metal amalgam that he is made from. We'll keep looking...

Journal Entry 19 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
Our next stop with HL was the Detroit Public Library. This statue graces the door to the Children's Collection. It has a little issue with musculature and requested to read the section on physical therapy and correct articulation of limbs...

Journal Entry 20 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
We spent some time here going through the ideas in the book and how they might help out. After this interaction, we posed for one more photo and the statue gave a review of the book for us... see the right hand! Wow! A positive review (even if it is a little outdated for us humans!)!

Journal Entry 21 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
Our final stop on the tour of Detroit with HL was The Heidelberg Project... it is a block-long environmental art project by artist Tyree Guyton. HL went wild in this paradise of found-art! Our first photo was at this shopping cart of mannequin limbs. We actually had to wait in line as a couple from Florida were posing for a photo in front of it. Later, the couple asked what the book was and said that they had heard of Bookcrossing but weren't members. I sent them on their way with a bookmark. But HL was anxious for another couple of photos...

Journal Entry 22 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
Well, Zmrzlina, I hope that Ambulance Girl wasn't keeping any hopes of a relationship with HL burning in her heart... HL really fell cover over spine for this mannequin. He could hardly stay composed long enough to take this photo. You just never know where you might find love...

Journal Entry 23 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
At the end of our afternoon, the final photo we took was of this unique substitute for four legs and feet. I don't know how practical the locomotion might be or even if the feet would cooperate on this organism. It gets high marks for ingenuity though. For more info on Tyree Guyton and The Heidelberg Project click on the link. Though I thought that Joe Louis' Arm would have been HL's favorite stop, he just had too much fun here... What a traveler this book is! I can't wait to see where he ends up next!!

Journal Entry 24 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Wednesday, December 17, 2003
The post office messed up delivery on this one, so I got a new address from avanta7 and resent... Have fun with it ;)

Journal Entry 25 by avanta7 on Friday, January 02, 2004
Received in the mail today. Woo hoo!

Explanation of returned mail syndrome: We moved November 22. I filed a forwarding order with the post office during the week before we moved. I was just beginning to suspect we might be missing some mail when ResQGeek very kindly PMd me about lightwavz's above journal entry (thanks again, ResQGeek). This prompted a couple of frantic PMs of my own, not to mention a rather testy telephone call to the United States Postal Service.

The scoop? The Little Rock post office apparently LOST my request to forward our mail because no forwarding order was on file in the computer system, thus explaining (a) why we got NO mail other than the few bills, etc., I had already notified of the new address, and (b) the returned package! Complaint filed. New forwarding order posted. Lo and behold, the mail starts arriving with those lovely yellow forwarding stickers on them. In the meantime, we nearly missed the car payments and having our insurance cancelled.

But this package arrived safe and sound. Now to borrow a digital camera and compose some artistic-like shots. (I'd like to take a few limbs off the Little Rock postmaster....wait, that's not really a threat -- I'm a federal employee myself!)

Journal Entry 26 by avanta7 on Tuesday, January 06, 2004
HL went to work with me today. Here it participated in a lineup.

Journal Entry 27 by avanta7 on Tuesday, January 06, 2004
And here it rests with a couple of "substitutes."

Journal Entry 28 by avanta7 on Saturday, January 10, 2004
My ideas for this project tend to the industrial...

This is the original elevator gear mechanism for the building which houses the Little Rock Public Library's art center. It now sits outside the building as a piece of sculpture.

Journal Entry 29 by avanta7 on Saturday, January 10, 2004
And now y'all know what kind of car I drive!

Journal Entry 30 by avanta7 on Monday, February 02, 2004
HL, spouse and I went to the Arkansas Arts Center a couple of weeks ago. HL rather liked this piece of sculpture, "Black Antelope" by Rudy Autio. So did I, for that matter. Spouse was indifferent, which is the usual case when it comes to modern art. Here's a link to another view of the piece: Black Antelope

Journal Entry 31 by avanta7 on Monday, February 02, 2004
This large piece, "Coupling" by Patti Warashina, is in the atrium of the museum. I don't think the photo conveys the enormity of this sculpture. It's far larger than you think. HL was rather intimidated. Oh, here's a link with more information about the piece: Coupling

Human Limbs has had quite enough of Arkansas. The cold wet weather lately has caused it some discomfort. It may be developing a nasty case of the rheumatiz...so, in hopes of better climes, it will be sent on the next leg of its journey, Caligula03, soon.

Journal Entry 32 by avanta7 on Monday, February 09, 2004
Mailed to caligula03 today.

Journal Entry 33 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Saturday, February 21, 2004
It's quite a hefty tome. I will read it and photograph it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 34 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, May 25, 2004
I tried to read it but I'm just too squeamish. I read a couple pages and jump out of my skin. I take a breath and read a couple more. Repeat as needed.

Journal Entry 35 by caligula03 at on Sunday, May 30, 2004
Release planned for Saturday, June 05, 2004 at BrynnSC in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Mailing to BrynnSC.