Random Acts of Heroic Love

by Danny Scheinmann | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by shelj7k of Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on 4/14/2009
Journal Entry 1 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, April 14, 2009
We loved this book in the Book Club. A pull on the heart strings love story.

1917. Moritz Daniecki has survived fighting in the Great War. But at what cost? Abandoned in the Siberian wilderness, he is determined to return to his beloved Lotte, the memory of whose single kiss has sustained him throughout the war. What lies before him is a terrifying journey over the Russian Steppes. If he ever makes it will she still be waiting?

1992. Leo Deakin wakes up in hospital somewhere in South America. His girlfriend Eleni is dead and Leo doesn't know where he is or how she died. He blames himself for the tragedy and is sucked into a spiral of despair. But Leo is about to discover something that will change his life forever.

In his remarkable début, Danny Scheinmann paints a dramatic portrait of two men sustaining themselves through the memory of love; two men whose hidden connections are revealed in a stunning climax that lives long in the heart.

Journal Entry 2 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, May 28, 2009
Reserving this book for a possible bookray.

The usual bookray requests stand for this book.

So please...

1. Make a journal entry when you receive the book
2. PM the next on the list to check their current address
3. Read it within 3-4 weeks
4. Let us all know your thoughts
5. ENJOY!!!

MAILING ORDER

1. luckof (Canada) <---- Done!
2. lauraloo (Canada) Ship Int'l <---- Done
3. bookworm76 (Australia) Ship Int'l <---- Done
4. Jozebedee (UK) Ship UK/EU <--- Done
5. BokOrm09 (UK) Ship UK/EU <--- The book is here

Released 10 yrs ago (6/5/2009 UTC) at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Mailing the book to luckof today to begin this ring. I hope everybody enjoys it. Happy summer reading!!!

Journal Entry 4 by luckof from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Rec'd this today safe and sound along with a lovely note and a pretty awesome bookmark !! Hopefully Shel is not saying to herself "so THAT's where it went" hehe. I am looking forward to reading this and will journal again when I finish. Just finishing up my current read and hopefully by the weekend will have a good start on this one. Thanks Shel!!

Update: Have just finished this morning and PM'ing lauraloo to confirm I have the correct address. Wow -- this book was sooo intense in parts -- the love that Leo felt for Eleni was so incredible that at times when he was describing his grief you felt like an intruder. Moritz' journey to see his beloved Lotte was so gruelling at times that you wondered if he was going to make it. Again this was a book that I normally wouldn't have pulled off the bookshelf to read -- glad I signed up for the ring -- thank you Shel for hosting...

Journal Entry 5 by luckof at Barrie, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 19, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/19/2009 UTC) at Barrie, Ontario Canada

Have mailed this off today to lauraloo....safe journey little book. Thanks again Shel!

Journal Entry 6 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, June 26, 2009
Arrived today. I have a few rings here, but I am keeping them moving. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, August 06, 2009
I had a hard time at first with this book. I did enjoy the writing style that this author used, for me it dragged a bit. Glad I pressed on and read it.

This book will be on its way Down Under this weekend. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 8 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Monday, October 19, 2009
arrived today! Thanks - I will read it and pass it on.

Journal Entry 9 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Thought this was a very thought provoking book about love (and loss). I really enjoyed it.

Sending off to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 10 by bookworm76 at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/19/2009 UTC) at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia

Sending off to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 11 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 26, 2009
Received today thank you. I've wanted to read this one for ages! I have a few books to get through before this one but will get to it as soon as possible.

EDIT: Finally got this to the top of mount TBR 11.02.10. It should be moving again soon :)

Journal Entry 12 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 13, 2010
I have enjoyed this book so much, that I have not been able to put it down, and have got through it in only 2 sittings!! What a fantastic story! Scheinmann has taken part of his own true family story and created a wonderful book about love, hope and grief.
Moritz' story I feel was particularly heart rending, with everything that he had to endure, I have been on the edge of my seat all day wondering what he was going to have to face next in his quest to find Lotte.
Leo's story also made me feel quite sad at times, and I felt that the subject of grief has been so tastefully handled in this book.
I think it is great when you can find a book like this which can really make you think a lot about life, and the things that are precious to you.
Thanks shelj7k for sharing, and apologies for holding the book up for longer than intended.
I will be posting out to BokOrm09 on Monday.

Released 10 yrs ago (2/15/2010 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted 2nd class today. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 14 by BokOrm09 from Sevenoaks, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Arrived safely in today's post. Have already dipped in but have a couple of books ahead of this one, but will get to this one shortly. Looks like it's going to be a thoroughly enjoyable read. Thanks to Shelj7k for organising and Jozebedee for passing it on.