Saint-Germain Memoirs

by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781934501016 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/8/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 08, 2009
I ordered this trade paperback in hopes that it was a re-issue of The Saint Germain Chronicles with new material added, so that I could release my old copy. But this book is a new collection, which is also good - I love the Count!

Later: Interesting collection. As Sharon Russell points out in her introduction, this is something of a Count Germain sampler, showing him at widely different points in time - and, ideally, tempting the reader into hunting up more books about him {grin}.

"Harpy" is set in ancient Greece, and offers a bonus to readers who are familiar with that period - they'll guess a part of the story well before the author reveals it.

"Tales out of School" is set in Padua in 1325 - a university town in which internal strife and fears of the plague cause problems for Saint Germain. [This is a novella, the longest work in the book.]

"Intercession" was of great interest to me because it deals with an intermediate period, decades that passed in between one book and another. There must have been many such periods during Saint Germain's long life, in which he was in prison or in exile, with his faithful bondsman Roger trying to hold down the fort and keep his master safe. In this story he's more frustrated than usual, with repeated attempts to find out where his master is; one has to wonder how many people throughout history languished in prison or bondage, some without anyone able to seek for them and others whose friends didn't have enough influence or money to succeed in freeing them.

The book concludes with "Gentleman of the Old School," a story set in modern times that shows the contrast in the aspects of society that pose a problem for an immortal vampire.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, September 24, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/24/2009 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this trade paperback into Laevina's Fantasy/SF/Horror book box (see the forum post for the mailing order). The box will be on its way to BCer Oldbroad in Washington later today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Sunday, November 01, 2009
Found this in Laevina's Fantasy/SF/Horror book box and will be added to my tbr pile. I may have to move it towards the top. I really love this author as well as anything on St. Germain.