A Is for Alibi

by Sue Grafton | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 033031582x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Chucklesthescot of Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on 4/8/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 08, 2009
In the first book about P.I Kinsey Millhone, she is investigating who really killed lawyer Laurence Fife, a crime his wife spent 8 years in prison for.

I wanted to try these books but again I'm just not enjoying any crime novels except James Patterson! Maybe a crime fan out there will enjoy these books better.

Journal Entry 2 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/1/2009 UTC) at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom

This book is going to South Africa as part of the chuckles summer giveaway. I hope that you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by FrancesinSA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I received this book today, as well as another book. Thank you chucklesthescot. I am looking forward to reading the first of the alphabet series.

Journal Entry 4 by FrancesinSA on Thursday, July 23, 2009
In this first book of the Kinsey Millhone Mysteries we are introduced to Kinsey Millhone. She is thirty-two and has been divorced twice. She has no kids, pets or house plants. She likes driving at night because she's not interested in looking at the scenery.
I enjoyed this book and would definitely like to read more in this series.

Journal Entry 5 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/26/2009 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

I am posting this today to noname-blue in Germany as a surprise rabck - it is on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 6 by noname-blue from München, Bayern Germany on Friday, September 11, 2009
Received on Wednesday as surprise parcel from South Africa! Wonderful, many thanks to FrancesinSA!!! *hug*

BTW, you really have nice colourful stamps of birds in South Africa...

Journal Entry 7 by noname-blue at München, Bayern Germany on Sunday, August 21, 2011
Somehow I forgot to journal it the first time, but now I re-read it and so here's the entry:

The first in the Alphabet series, this introduces Kinsey Millhone, private investigator for an insurance company mainly doing fraud research, who writes a report after she kills somebody, trying to explain how things got there.

Nikki Fife, who did 8 years in prison for murder of her husband, hires Kinsey to find the real killer. The murder was done with oleander poision in a medication capsule, which means that unlike normal murder, the alibi of the suspects are useless, as the murder could have done the switch with the doctored capsule any time previously. What remains is finding out the motive of the suspects.

The author shows nicely how the routine investigation of following and asking people involved in any way with the deceased and the second victim found finally gives enough small minor hints that point to the real killer. While she follows that trail, Kinsey has to deal with other people being murdered, because they might tell her something important. In the final showdown, Kinsey has to run and fight for her life. (This will continue in the following books, as the flashback style of telling).

Trying to follow the story and finding the killer yourself, the reader is, like Kinsey, overwhelmed at first from the many information and the many people she talks to, which gives a good feel of reality compared to traditonal detective stories with limited suspects.

Pretty good.

Released 8 yrs ago (9/2/2011 UTC) at A Wishlist RABCK, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today on the path of flowers to ritao. Since this book has come along way already, I thought it would like to travel further north first.

Another entry for Finland to my Lifetime Challenge.

Journal Entry 9 by ritao at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 07, 2011
Got the book today, thank you again noname-blue! I promise that if I stumble upon a suitable Grafton book, I will let you know. :)

This will have to wait in my TBR pile for some time because of other reading projects of mine. I have actually read the first chapter of the Finnish translation of the book when I was holidaying with a friend who had it, but I didn't have time to read it further back then. It was a couple of years ago, anyway, so I don't remember much of the story.

Journal Entry 10 by ritao at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 22, 2012
I wasn't crazy about this book but it didn't bore me either. I had to keep reminding myself that it was written in the 80s which probably explains why it felt somewhat clichéd all the way through. I am, nevertheless, curious how the series will evolve and therefore will keep my eyes open for the letter B.

Journal Entry 11 by ritao at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/1/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Sent the book today to Delenna who had wished for it.

Lähettäminen viivästyi tähän päivään. Mukavia lukuhetkiä!

Journal Entry 12 by Delenna at Porvoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 19, 2012
Sain tämän jo aikapäiviä sitten, mutta unohdin rekisteröidä... Aloitin lukemisen jo, joten palaan asiaan parin illan päästä :) Kiitos!

Journal Entry 13 by Delenna at Porvoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, March 11, 2012
Better than good detective story :) Enjoyed reading this. Some parts disturbed me by making no sence. For example why the two siblings weren't mentioned at the end (how they survived everything would've been worth mentioning).

Journal Entry 14 by Delenna at Sanomatalo in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, March 11, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/10/2012 UTC) at Sanomatalo in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Left this on the bookshelf in Wayne's Coffee (Sanomatalo)

Journal Entry 15 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, March 14, 2012
I was on my way to the meet-up at Sokos. I visited Wayne's coffee after seeing the art exhibition in Sanomatalo. I did not take the book as I think I already read it.

Olin matkalla miittiin Sokokselle ja kuljin Waynen kautta. Sanomatalossa oli näes taidenäyttely. Jätin kirjan paikoilleen. Luulen jo lukeneeni tämän aiemmin.