No Time for Goodbye

by Linwood Barclay | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by sunflowergirl of Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on 3/24/2009
Journal Entry 1 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 24, 2009
The Book People recently had an offer on with five books for £10 so I couldn't resist buying a load. I've just realised that I never registered them so will do so now!

Synopsis

On the morning she will never forget, suburban teenager Cynthia Archer awakes with a nasty hangover and a feeling she is going to have an even nastier confrontation with her mom and dad. She isn't. Instead, the house is empty, with no sign of her parents or younger brother Todd. At first she just thinks it's weird, then more and more scary, until finally the terrfiying reality hits her: in the blink of an eye, without any explanation, her family has simply disappeared. Twenty-five years later the mystery is no nearer to being solved and Cynthia is still haunted by unanswered questions. Were her family murdered? If so, why was she spared? And if they're alive, why did they abandon her in such a cruel way? Now married with a daughter of her own, Cynthia knows that without answers - however shocking they might prove to be - she will never be emotionally or psychologically whole, living in daily fear that her new family will be taken from her just as her first one was. And so she agrees to take part in a TV documentary revisiting the case, in the hope that somebody somewhere will remember something - or even that her father, mother or brother might finally reach out to her... First nothing. Then just a few crackpots and scam artists coming out of the woodwork. And then the letter, a letter which makes no sense and yet chills Cynthia to the core. And soon she begins to realize that stirring up the past could be the worst mistake she has ever made.

Journal Entry 2 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Saturday, April 04, 2009
I've had to do a lot of heavy going reading for Uni recently and have also had a huge amount of stress and upset in my life, so now it's the Easter break I thought I'd pick something easier to read. This book was perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon. I've read it in one sitting over 4 hours and could not put it down. It's not great literature but it's not supposed to be; it's a riveting thriller that's easy to read. There weren't many surprises for me in the text; I guessed whodunnit early on and also guessed how the tale would end (I was proved right) but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the novel. The first half of the book was better than the second half but by the time you get to the mid-point you're so engrossed that you can't bear to stop reading!

This is currently in a bookswap game on bcuk-extra so once I know who's won it it'll be in the post!

Released 10 yrs ago (4/22/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Juliako won this book in the bookswap so it's now on its way to her. I hope you enjoy reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by juliako at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, June 29, 2019
Thank you sunflowergirl for sending this to me and sorry for the 10 year gap!!

I enjoyed this book - great whodunit and nice easy read.

I did guess most of what transpired (but not all of it) but still wanted to get to the end to check it.

I will probably take this to the next bookcrossing meeting I go, and then I suspect it will end up on one of the bookcrossing shelves around Birmingham.

Thanks again!!

Journal Entry 5 by juliako at 3 Three's Coffee Lounge in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, August 24, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (8/24/2019 UTC) at 3 Three's Coffee Lounge in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

If you picked this up...

Thank you for picking up this book and logging on to the website. Welcome to the world of the bookcrossing! Do let us know what you thought of this book, and what your plans for it are. If you register on the bookcrossing site then you will also see where this book goes.