Fierce

by Hannah Holborn | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 3/23/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, March 23, 2009
Birthday present. Yay! A new author for me so will look forward to reading this. I love short stories.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, May 23, 2009
Yes! It's books like this one that make me sigh with satisfaction and say, like I did above, I love short stories!

To be perfectly honest, I requested this book for my birthday, because I liked the cover. Wasn't too sure about the title, but I could almost smell the outdoor lakeyness when I saw the cover photo (I suppose it's actually a river, but same effect.) I just want all those publishers who think a cover does not sell a book to know you're wrong, wrong, wrong.

The title, the cover blurbs - they didn't do it for me. In fact now that I've read the book, I don't know what Lisa Moore's talking about. "Sassy [and] sexy"?

That one word, fierce, as a title also gave me pause for thought. It suggested something violent, aggressive, and threatening and I didn't think I'd want to read something like that. But now having read the book I see the "fierceness" of a child screwing up his face to look tough.

And I think that describes most of the characters in these stories - folks just trying to be tough - tough enough to deal with crap that life has thrown them. They are the folks to whom bad things have happened, folks you would not normally want in your life - for fear that something will rub off maybe or just because you do not know what to say or do - the misfits you know are out there but are just as happy that they are *out there* and not you or someone you care for.

Holborn brings them to you. She makes them so utterly human that you find they do fit. They fit in that spot just under your heart.

My favourite stories were "We Were Scenes of Grief" and "The Indian Act", but there was not one that I did not like. In fact I can't remember a book of stories I've liked more. Story books are often like cookbooks. You're happy enough if you get two or three good recipes out of the whole thing. I gobbled up with relish ever single morsel of Fierce.

This book will be released into the wilds of Winnipeg sometime between June 21 and July 1 this year as part of gypsysmom's Canada Day release challenge.

In the meantime, this is my 20th book by a Canadian female author read for John Mutford's 2nd Canadian Book Challenge, Eh?

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at Manitoba Legislative Building in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, June 20, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/20/2009 UTC) at Manitoba Legislative Building in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

You'll find this book on a bench in the flower gardens down by the river. It was released for the Canada Day release challenge running from June 20 to July 1 this year in celebration of Canadian books and authors.

As the cover art is a lovely river scene, it was also released for this week's Never Judge a Book by its Cover release challenge. The theme this week is "water"!

I hope the finder enjoys this wonderful book by a Canadian author. Happy Canada Day!