Murder Is Binding (Booktown Mysteries)

by Lorna Barrett | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 9780425219584 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Heaven-Ali of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 3/15/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 15, 2009
When she moved to Stoneham, city slicker Tricia Miles met nothing but friendly faces. And when she opened her mystery bookstore, she met friendly competition. But when she finds Doris Gleason dead in her own cookbook store, killed by a carving knife, the atmosphere seems more cutthroat than cordial. Someone wanted to get their hands on the rare cookbook that Doris had recently purchased-and the locals think that someone is Tricia. To clear her name, Tricia will have to take a page out of one of her own mysteries-and hunt down someone who isn't killing by the book.

Journal Entry 2 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 15, 2009
I have been reading the monica Ferris needlework mysteries - on Lyzzybee's spiral - and enjoying them a lot. The needlework stuff in them leaves me a bit cold however - as I don't sew at all. So when I spotted these mysteries set in a New Hampshire booktown, I thought aha now books I know about : )

I wasn't disappointed. There are quite a number of similarities to the Monica Ferris books - small town, new business, difficult landlord, a cat (this one named Miss Marple)and a host of characters I suspect we will see again in the next and any future books. This book even contains recipes. This is a quick undemanding read - pure cosy mystery the plot isn't that complex - perfect company for a lazy Sunday or a poorly in bed day.

Book spiral

Katisha50 UK (INT)
Brumbie - UK (INT)
WelshHelen - UK (UK)
wigglywoods UK (INT)
carelaisa - Canada (US/CAN)
NMReader US (US)
ladyhawked US (INT)
FrancesinSA S. Africa (INT)
easterngirl17 (US)

Then back to me please Heaven-Ali - UK

The Booktown Spiral book 2

The Booktown Spiral book 3 starting soon.

Journal Entry 3 by Heaven-Ali at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (3/19/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

If you have found this book, thank you for taking the time to look it up on the internet. Now please tell us what you thought of the book and what your plans for it are.

Journal Entry 4 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, March 26, 2009
I'm so sorry. I forgot to say this arrived at the weekend. I have already started it and am really enjoying it. Will pass it on to the next player over the next couple of days

Journal Entry 5 by Vespa at on Friday, March 27, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at

I really enjoyed this quick little book. A good mystery and I look forward to getting to know the characters better in later books
It's now on its way to Calalilly

Journal Entry 6 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Received in the post today. I'm in the middle of a ring and then I've got one other to read before I should start this one although it might jump to being my next book.

Journal Entry 7 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 20, 2009
Very quick and easy to read. I look forward to reading future books. Passing this onto Purplerosebud this week sometime when we meet up.

Journal Entry 8 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 23, 2009
Thanks for this book I'll be starting it just as soon as I finish my current read.

Journal Entry 9 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Sorry RL has got in the way of my reading for the moment, so I'm going to pass this book on to the next on list and not hold it up.

Journal Entry 10 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, June 6, 2009
Arived this morning, thank you. Looking forward to the first in a new series.

Journal Entry 11 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 2, 2009
A great cozy mystery, I'm loking forward to reading more in the series.

Will pass to LyzzyBee at the weekend at the UnCon in Edinburgh.

Journal Entry 12 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, July 6, 2009
Collected from Scotsbookie at Uncon! I may well curl up and read this today!

Journal Entry 13 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 8, 2009
A new cosy mystery series, this time set in a Book Town in NE America. The usual quirky characters and a mystery to solve that's not too gruesome for me. I felt this was a little slow to start off with, maybe there's not as much to bookselling as to my usual needlecraft mysteries, but it certainly picked up in the second part of the book, and I didn't guess whodunnit. Looking forward to the next one!

I'll get molekilby's address and post it to him asap.

Journal Entry 14 by LyzzyBee at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 24, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (7/25/2009 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Posting to Molekilby. Sorry I'm a bit late posting but I had the Swine Flu! All safe now and the book doesn't need fumigating! What a time capsule for our times this message will be in a few years when the great pandemic is over.

Journal Entry 15 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Arrived safely yesterday. Thanks for sharing Heaven-Ali and thanks for sending LyzzyBee. Sorry to hear about the Flu, I did think of our Brummie B'Cookers when an article was on the news showing Birmingham as being one of the highest affected areas in Britain. Thanks also for the postcard. I will move onto this as soon as I've finished my current read.

Journal Entry 16 by molekilby at N/A, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 7, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (12/7/2009 UTC) at N/A, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sorry for the delay in posting.

Journal Entry 17 by wingTanamowing from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Book arrived today in one of those plastic bags the PO use for damaged items. The damage was mostly to the wrapping though, the book seems to have survived the murderous attack and hopefully will live on to continue its travels. The Christmas greetings card made it too. Thanks a lot Jason.

Journal Entry 18 by wingTanamowing from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 7, 2010
Read this gentle cosy type mystery in a couple of evenings and enjoyed it apart from wanting to strangle the main character for letting her sister boss her around. Now off to pm CaterinaAnna for her address so the book can move on.

Journal Entry 19 by wingTanamowing from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
After a second pm I got a reply and have CaterinaAnna's address now so when there's a let up in the snow I'll be making a trip to the PO.

Journal Entry 20 by wingTanamowing at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, January 14, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/14/2010 UTC) at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom

Mailed to CaterinaAnna today.

Journal Entry 21 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Apologies all for delay in getting on here.

I wonder should we take pleasure out of books about people being killed? Even if it all ends up happy-ever-after (or at least 'til the next book) for the right people. Anyway, I did so :oP to the inner moralist.

Anyway, this particular cosy was fun, quick and easy to read; had some likeable characters; and a solution that was neither too hidden for cries of 'Oooh, that's not fair! She never told us ...' nor too obvious for you to have spotted the murderer (or in this case even the murder) by the end of Chapter 3.

Somewhere in the middle there is reference to Readers' Digest condensed books which will make any BCer who has had experience with boxes of donated books smile ...

Journal Entry 22 by Caterinaanna at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, February 6, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (2/6/2010 UTC) at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom

Going in the post to the next reader today.

Journal Entry 23 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Friday, February 12, 2010
Just arrived, thank you CaterinaAnna. Perfect timing for the weekend!

Journal Entry 24 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Thursday, March 25, 2010
Lovely series, many thanks Heaven-Ali for sharing it with the rest of us!
Will send to Katisha50 next week.

Journal Entry 25 by wingKatisha50wing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, April 22, 2010
This arrived yesterday - thanks, iliotropio, and for the "other enclosures" (I won't say what or they'll all want some!).

Have my current book to finish, then a book club book to read, then I'll get to this one. Looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 26 by wingKatisha50wing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 9, 2010
I enjoyed this, as I thought I would. Very similar to Monica Ferris, although I think she has the edge. I think it could have been paced a little better - slow start, but speeded-up end felt wrong, somehow.

Will pass to Brumbie next week.

Journal Entry 27 by Brumbie from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, May 14, 2010
Handed to me by Katisha yesterday. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 28 by Brumbie from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 16, 2010
I enjoyed this for what it was - undemanding and atmospheric. Lorna Barrett could have done better by the cat who seemed singularly lacking in personality. I gained some new information on cookery authors and mystery writers which is fun but my grandmother would turn in her grave at the recipe for Irish soda bread! Will send it on to Welsh Helen next week.

Journal Entry 29 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Arrived today, thanks Brumbie :-) Typically, two ring books arrived today when I haven't had even one for a couple of months!

Journal Entry 30 by WelshHelen at Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 7, 2010
I'm another one who enjoyed this fun book, though I must admit that I enjoy the Monica Ferris series more. I liked Tricia, started to warm to Angelica (and look forward to her new venture) and thought that the other characters were well-drawn. I did guess the baddie part-way through but it didn't spoil my fun. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, so thanks for sharing, Heaven-Ali :-)

I've pmd wigglywoods a couple of times but I'll try again in case there are problems.

Journal Entry 31 by WelshHelen at Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 2, 2010
Finally posted to wigglywoods today - very many apologies for the delay.

Journal Entry 32 by WigglyWoods at Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 6, 2010
This arrived on Saturday and I got straight down to reading it and forgot to journal the arrival - sorry. It's a great, quick cozy and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it - thanks. Will pm next person for address and hopefully post on this week.

Journal Entry 33 by WigglyWoods at Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (7/22/2010 UTC) at Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom

Posted off to carelaisa today.

Journal Entry 34 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Saturday, July 31, 2010
Rec'd the book on the 28th but got only around today to journal it. I already have read it and liked it!

I would say it's a good and cozy crime novel, though annoying at moments with the character of Angelica. But everything else was fine. I’m looking forward to read the other books in this series.

Will now pm the next person in line for this bookray and move it soon hopefully.

Journal Entry 35 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Saturday, August 7, 2010
The book is now on its way to NMReader.
I mailed it on Thursday, Aug 5th, via airmail.

Journal Entry 36 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, August 17, 2010
It has arrived. I am looking forward to reading.

Journal Entry 37 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, September 13, 2010
I thought an update might be appreciated.

I have started the book but haven't read very far yet. I think I am just to the point where Tricia realizes they suspect her.

Sept 29: I still haven't made it very far into the book. This book has been taking a back seat to some other reading I have been doing. The Sept readathon has primed me a bit and I am going to try and finish off a few of the books I have started by the end of this weekend. This will be one of those books.

Journal Entry 38 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 3, 2010
What a wonderful little mystery. I really enjoyed this first book in a series.

I want to apologize for keeping the book for so long.

Journal Entry 39 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 3, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (10/4/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I will drop this off at the PO on the way home from work.

Journal Entry 40 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Thursday, November 4, 2010
Got this book. Talked to Heaven-Ali and will send it to ladyhawked and then wait for it's return to read it:) Thanks:)

Journal Entry 41 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Friday, November 12, 2010
ladyhawked got in touch with me and said to skip her. Going to pm Heaven-Ali now!

Journal Entry 42 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Thursday, January 13, 2011
This book arrived today. Thanks for this book spiral. Thank you eastergirl71, for posting it to me.

Journal Entry 43 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Sunday, January 16, 2011
I enjoyed this first book in the Booktown cozy series and look forward to reading the others. I really like the cover art by Teresa Fasolino.

Journal Entry 44 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (1/19/2011 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

Posting today to Heaven-Ali.

Journal Entry 45 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 8, 2011
This has come home again : ) a little battered and much travelled - thank you everyone who has taken part.

Released 8 yrs ago (7/13/2013 UTC) at Moseley Village - Mozfest Stall in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Journal Entry 47 by wingKatisha50wing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, April 17, 2016
Not taken from the stall, so came home with me pending a future release.

On the shelf to the left as you go into the back room.

Welcome to Bookcrossing! You are about to lose a whole chunk of your life, but I assure you it will be worthwhile. Do let us know your thoughts about this book, and your plans for its next move.

'Like' Birmingham Bookcrossers on Facebook - BCBrum https://m.facebook.com/groups/243069614126?ref=bookmark

Follow us at @bxbrum on Twitter!

The 2016 Unconvention will be held in Birmingham, 23-25 September. Visit http://2016.bcukunconvention.co.uk/ for details!