Titus Groan

by Mervyn Peake | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by anathema-device of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 3/15/2009
Journal Entry 1 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, March 15, 2009
Ever since last October or so, a copy of Gormenghast has been sitting on my shelf - unread, because I wanted to read the whole trilogy in the proper order. Now finally I got this beautiful copy of Titus Groan from Amazon, so I can start anytime. :)

Journal Entry 2 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Very bizarre - but I've decided I like it. :)
It's rather like walking through an ink drawing, looking at all the small (dark, twisted) details...
There definitely is a storyline, but it creeps and lurches, and it takes some time until it starts making any sense.
I like Flay and Fuchsia best, I think - and I'm already looking forward to reading the sequels (although I believe I need to read a couple of very different books in between before I can tackle them).
BTW: In style, this reminded me a lot of Abarat by Clive Barker (including the fact that Barker also painted his whole fantasy world and characters). I don't remember whether Clive Barker ever mentioned being influenced by Mervyn Peake or whether I'm just imagining this - but I know that I didn't much like Abarat (and thus decided not to read any of the sequels), while I grew to like Peake's dark fantasy a lot. Still, it's really really weird. :)

ETA:
Don't read the introduction if you don't know the book! Anthony Burgess probably meant well, but he included a lot of spoilers!
(The introduction should really be an appendix, for the readers' sake...)