Crow Lake

by Mary Lawson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by aapje of Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 5/21/2003
Journal Entry 1 by aapje from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 21, 2003
The writing style is very simple. I thought the characters were compelling, though. You could relate to them and you cared about what happened to them. I found the ending a bit anticlimactic.

Journal Entry 2 by aapje at on Friday, June 6, 2003
Released on Friday, June 06, 2003 to fellow bookcrosser by mail, controlled release Netherlands.

to Virgulina (Portugal)

Journal Entry 3 by usedtobe on Wednesday, June 25, 2003
I received this book today from aapje. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 4 by usedtobe on Sunday, July 18, 2004
I have to confess that I just couldn't make myself finish this book. I read half of it and I couldn't care less about any of the characters or what happened to them. Nothing happens in this story and I really couldn't find any reason for Kate to still be traumatized at 26. Her parents died but so many people lose their parents and are able to go on with their lives that I just couldn't understand what was going on inside her head. Maybe it was the author's style that I disliked but I just couldn't sympathize with Kate and her brothers!

Journal Entry 5 by usedtobe on Sunday, July 18, 2004
This book will now be going to caretta in the USA who accepted it on the Already Been BookCrossed BookRelay. Hope you enjoy it a little bit more than I did! :)

Journal Entry 6 by caretta from Lynchburg, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 27, 2004
This book arrived yesterday - thanks, Virgulina!

Journal Entry 7 by caretta from Lynchburg, Virginia USA on Friday, January 21, 2005
I was interested in this book because the main character is an ecologist, which is my profession. I put off reading it for a while, though, because from the plot description, I expected it to be really depressing. But it wasn't. Although some parts were slow, I was really interested in the story. I could relate to Kate's academic life (please, could I write "drop the course" on my students' lab reports?) and understood her struggle with accepting the path Matt's life had taken. I really liked one of the last lines of the story: "I have become familiar with books and ideas you never even imagined, and somehow, in the process of acquiring all that knowledge, I have managed to learn nothing at all." As always, I am interested in how certain books speak to some readers but not to others. This one did speak to me and I'm glad I had a chance to read it. Now, it will be traveling on to gregn7157 in New Jersey, USA. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by gregn7157 from Haddon Heights, New Jersey USA on Sunday, February 13, 2005
Arrived safe & sound -- thank you!