Come, Thou Tortoise

by Jessica Grant | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 3/12/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, March 12, 2009
I wasn't intending to buy myself anything when we stopped at Chapter's to pick up a business book for the SO, but this one was just too darned appealing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
Honestly, I don't know if I have the words to do this novel justice. As I said a few short weeks ago, I bought this book because I just couldn't resist. Essentially, it just sidled up to me and said, "Take me home with you." So, I did.

My partner, who was with me when I bought the book, asked me what it was that I found so appealing and I couldn't explain other than to say, I just know I'll like it. He was skeptical. I guess it doesn't look like other books I just *had* to buy. Nor is it by an author he knows I like.

And so it was that every morning on our way to work, he'd ask about the book. This is unusual. He reads non-fiction. I read fiction. And while I am sometimes interested in his books, he is never interested in mine. So I was a little unprepared for his questions. How do you like it so far? Great, I'd say. Well, what's happening? Um, well there's this young woman who's supposed to be not very bright, according to stuff I've read about the book, and who's been living in Oregon. Oddly's her name. What? Oddly - like for Audrey. Oh. Anyway she's afraid of flying but is on the plane to Newfoundland, where she's originally from, because her father's in a coma - a comma she calls it. Uh huh. She believes that she'll be able to bring him out of it. He apparently got knocked out by a Christmas tree. What? One fell on him? He got electrocuted? No, not exactly but, anyway, right now she's on the plane and is hiding in the toilet. Because...? Because she saw this gun peeping out from under this guy's jacket so she disarmed him thinking he was a terrorist and she ran into the bathroom with the gun and so, now, the terrorist and the flight attendant are trying to convince her that he's not a terrorist.

And every morning, I'd get the dreaded raised eyebrows. I mean how can you possibly expect someone to accept (i.e take seriously) the fact that Uncle Thoby has one arm longer than the other because he built it himself at the Arm and Leg Rehabilitation Centre after getting it lopped off when the plane took off while he was loading the baggage? Or the fact that Oddly's rock climbing ex-bf really is named Cliff? Or that the fruitfly wants to know when Audrey's going to brush her teeth. Or that Winnifred is worried that Oddly won't come back for her. How do you know the turtle's worried? Tortoise. Right, tortoise - you can read the tortoise's mind? I don't have to read her mind, she tells us. What? The tortoise can talk? Like Howard the turtle? No, she has her own chapters in the book. I see. (^^)

Now, it wasn't until after I'd started reading the novel - in fact just after I'd read the bit about disarming the air marshal that I read somewhere that Audrey was a tad challenged in the IQ department. I was startled by that. I had not cottoned on to any "dullness" in our narrator. In fact, I had thought she was rather bright. And brave!

Sadly, Audrey's beloved father dies before she can get home. Added to that, her only other "real" family, Uncle Thoby abandons her even though he promised he never would. How ever will Audrey come to terms with these things? How will she cope?

I don't know if Audrey would consider herself brave but I think she's braver than me. I would probably be paralyzed by the fact that the car wouldn't start and there was no one to rescue me. And I wouldn't in a million years get on a plane to England without the slightest idea of what I was going to do once I got there, but Audrey does.

While Audrey seems to have accepted the "low IQ" label or, rather, suspects it might be true, having found the reference in her school file and confesses same to the Christmas light guy, just like the Christmas light guy, it doesn't matter to me. In fact, I don't believe it. Audrey is smart and funny and brave and utterly charming. As a reader you can't help but feel privileged to be let into her world. Hey, she even tells you how to open the door to her home. Maybe she'll let you use her shovel!

Now, despite the fact that my SO asked about the book every day until I was done, which in itself was significant, I don't think I convinced him to read it. But *you* should. It will delight you. It will make you smile. And, your faith in human nature, love and determination and family will be restored.

I, for one, wouldn't say no to another book by Jessica Grant.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, June 08, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/8/2009 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I was inclined to release this book for gypsysmom's Canada Day challenge, but it is such a good book that I wanted to up my chances to hear what someone else thought about it, so I'm giving first dibs to the folks who come to tonight's meeting.

If no one wants it (and I can't imagine that would happen) I'll leave it on the shelf after the meeting.

Journal Entry 4 by teenie-k from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, June 08, 2009
Since Pooker3 described this book as "absolutely charming" at the June meet-up of local bookcrossers, I couldn't resist! I look forward to reading it! Thanks Pooker3!

Journal Entry 5 by teenie-k from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, June 22, 2009
I have to agree with Pooker3. This book *was* absolutely charming...and sweet. Filled with quirky puns and wit, this book was delightful! The characters were warm and lovable...even if Winnifred needs help to be warm, she is lovable all on her own. I too, would not say no to another book by Jessica Grant.

Journal Entry 6 by teenie-k at Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/1/2009 UTC) at Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Left at the Zoo during the Canada Day celebrations.

Released as part of the Canada Day Release Challenge 2009, running from June 20 - July 1.

Happy Canada Day!

Hello lucky reader.

You are holding a special book. A book that wants to be read by many different readers, and wants it previous readers to know where it has been. Please consider making a journal entry – you can remain anonymous if you like, and it costs nothing.

I hope you will consider joining this global book club, and if you do, I hope you will list me – teenie-k, as your referring member. Basic membership is free, and bookcrossing is a lot of fun.

You may do what you like with this book, but I hope you will consider passing it on, to a friend, co-worker, family, or just leave it somewhere new for someone else to find. If you have become a member, you might get to read about this book’s future adventures!

Happy Reading,
teenie-k
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Journal Entry 7 by meemerz from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, July 03, 2009
I was having a lovely day at the zoo with my family, when DH spotting this book sitting on a bench. Finding it and learning about the BookCrossing program was the best part of this year's Canada Day. I'm going to start reading it tonight, and I'm excited to leave it somewhere when I'm done. What a fabulous thing. Thank you Teenie-K!