The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse

by Robert Rankin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rockyhorror1978 of St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on 3/8/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 08, 2009
"Toy Town...now older, bigger, and certainly not wiser. The Old Rich, who have made their millions from the royalties on their world-famous nursery rhymes, are being murdered. One by one. Horribly. A psychopath is on the loose. He must be stopped at any cost. It''s a job for toy Town''s only detective--but he''s missing, leaving only Eddie Bear, and his bestest friend Jack, to track down the mad killer. A hilarious, very irreverent fantasy from the cult creator of Web Site Story, The Sprouts of Wrath, and the five-book Brentford Trilogy."

Journal Entry 2 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 28, 2010
I picked this book up when there was a Terry Pratchett dry-spell, hoping that it would fill the void until the release of his next book. While this book was amusing, I wouldn't say that it is en par with anything that Pratchett has written.

The plot was comic, but they mystery component of the story was a bit of a letdown, in that it was a loosely pulled together. The characters were also entertaining, especially the bizarre twists on nursery rhyme characters.

While there are some good laughs, this book was not the best fantasy book I have read. I do have the second book in the series and will read it, hoping that it is better.

Journal Entry 3 by rockyhorror1978 at Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, August 30, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (8/30/2010 UTC) at Annandale, Virginia USA

Being released to Booksnbeer as part of the bookobsessed.com August Fantasy Swap. Enjoy! :)

UPDATE: Mailed 15 November 2010. Please pardon the tardiness. I got behind on my mailing.

"Anyway -- because we are readers, we don't have to wait for some communications executive to decide what we should think about next -- and how we should think about it. We can fill our heads with anything from aardvarks to zucchinis -- at any time of night or day."
— Kurt Vonnegut

Journal Entry 4 by BooksnBeer at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Received this one on the 9th. I am looking forward to this fun ride of a book.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 07, 2013
This book was meant for my mom, AceofHearts. It looks like it was from a YBS swap that she participated in. Funny how it comes back to Canada after a trip down to the USA.

Unfortunately, my mom passed away before she had a chance to register this book. I can see why she was interested in it, it sounds like fun. I'm sure she would have shared it with me after she read it.

I'm in the process of getting a handle on all her books but wanted to let you know that it did safely arrive. Thanks BnB.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 07, 2014
Jack leaves his home town and is making him way to the big city to find his fortune. The city he comes across is Toy City, where toys are alive and nursery rhyme characters are the upper class. What Jack doesn't realize is that Toy City's first serial killer is on the loose, killing nursery rhyme characters, starting with Humpty Dumpty. Jack is befriended by Eddie, a teddy bear detective, and the two set off to find out who the killer is.

I've read others compare Rankin to Terry Pratchett but he reminds me more of Christopher Moore or Jasper Fforde. The play on words and the jokes about the nursery rhymes are well thought out and quite funny. I really enjoyed the characters and the filler story. What I thought was a bit weaker was the mystery itself. When clues of the killer were being given I actually felt rather let down.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 02, 2014
Mailed today to my birthday partner!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, August 21, 2014
Sorry I didn't journal this earlier. I went on a trip for my birthday, and when I returned, life was busy, Internet was down... Finally get some time to sit down and clear out the stack of books by my desk.

Thank you so much for this book. Interesting title!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015
I picked this title as the perfect read for my Easter weekend Read-a-thon.

It definitely reminds me of Jasper Fforde's Nursery Crime Series, as both book starts with the murder of Humpty Dumpty, and involves many nursery rhyme characters. I found it a fun romp of a read, fast paced and enjoyable, and it certainly helps to be familiar with all the nursery rhymes to understand the humor. Mother Goose as Madame Goose, and Jack Spratt as owner of the Lean Cuisine chain makes me chuckle.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAzukiwing at The Perkin Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, Tsim Sha Tsui Hong Kong on Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (10/15/2015 UTC) at The Perkin Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, Tsim Sha Tsui Hong Kong

Left at the OBCZ (on the bookshelf in the lobby.)

Hi! How wonderful you've found one of my books! Thank you so much for checking out the journal. I would really appreciate if you can take a moment to let me know you have it now. Trust me, it'll totally make my day to hear from one of my "wild" books.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Feel free to explore the BookCrossing site, and visit our forum to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!