The Bolter: Idina Sackville - The Woman Who Scandalised 1920s Society and Became White Mischief's Infamous Seductress

by Frances Osborne | Nonfiction |
Registered by Shahrun of Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on 3/7/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Shahrun from Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, March 07, 2009
Just got this book today, so thought I'd be good & register it right away, all ready for reading and stuff!

Journal Entry 2 by Shahrun from Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, April 02, 2009
Really well written, this book sucked me in right from the 1st page! I'm very glad that the author took the journey and time to write about her great grandmother. The book made me laugh and cry and kept me facinated the whole way through! Best book I've read all year!

Journal Entry 3 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, November 09, 2018
This is the second time I have read this book, getting on for ten years between reads. I absolutely loved it first time round, I found it very glamorous and exciting. Whilst I did enjoy the re-read, I now have a lot more life experience and viewed what I read with completely different eyes. It gave me much to think about, rather than just being swept away. The Author had hero worship for her ancestor Idina. Perhaps I did too when I first came across this book. It’s a very seductive world. I bet it would have been very interesting to have a drink and chat with Idina. I think she (the family?) blames Ewan completely for all that went wrong with the marriage and subsequent events. Now that I am older, it just pisses me off that the incestuous, bed hoping aristocracy get to live by their own rules and to hell with anyone else. The causal way they palm their kids off, to be raised by others is probably why they are so rampant in extramarital affairs. It must interfere with their ability to bond with a loved one and have them looking for love in all the wrong places? And it surprised me they haven’t died out with STIs hahaha. Then right at the very end, the afterword gives a new perspective on the woman who lived life her own way.

Journal Entry 4 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, November 09, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (11/9/2018 UTC) at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

Packing ready to pop into the internal post (when I’m next back at work) to a fellow BookCrosser. Happy reading.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 15, 2018
Thanks very much for the wishlist book. One is on its way to you. I hope it doesn't go missing this time!