Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader

by anne fadiman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by twinkpuddin of Seattle, Washington USA on 2/26/2009
Journal Entry 1 by twinkpuddin from Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, February 26, 2009
An enjoyable read about books and language.

Journal Entry 2 by twinkpuddin from Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Starting a bookray.

solskinn - Austria - finished
textussi - Germany - asked to be skipped
Mozette - Australia - finished
saram23 - MA

Please log in the book so we know it got to you. When you have finished the book, send a PM to the next person on the list to get his or her mailing address. If anything comes up and you need to be moved further down the list, just let me know!

Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by twinkpuddin from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, April 06, 2009
In the mail to cinnycat today.

Journal Entry 4 by BookBirds from -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
I got this a while ago but I didn't have internet access to journal it! thanks so much for starting this ray! I've wanted to read this one a while now.

Journal Entry 5 by BookBirds from -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Friday, May 01, 2009
It wasn't until I had the book in my hands that I realized Anne Fadiman is the daughter of Clifton Fadiman and I imagined it would be even more booky goodness than I thought originally. I liked this, but it wasn't really ABOUT books, not Fadiman writing about her favorite books like I thought. It was more about things like grammer, typos, etc. Kind of disappointing because I imagine Fadiman has read five million more books than I have. Maybe that will be her next book, but I can imagine why she might be intimadated to write about her favorite books like her father. This is the perfect book for a book ray, so thanks for sharing twinkpuddin! :D I have the next address and it will be going out next week.

Journal Entry 6 by BookBirds at ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 07, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/7/2009 UTC) at ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent today!

Journal Entry 7 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I received this book a while ago. I will mail this out as soon as possbile. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2009
This is going out tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by merrymari on Monday, June 29, 2009
This book has arrived in northern Michigan, thanks for hosting, twinkpuddin. I'll look forward to reading it!

** Some people discover their love of reading gradually, while others are introduced to it via their parents reading aloud to them and by watching their parents (or a parent) devour literature like a big plate o' pasta. I'd place myself in the latter category, and I gather parental influence played a part in Fadiman's own verging on fanatical/obsessive love of the printed word (I know how that is, lol). Playing lots of scrabble helps foster word love too. =)

Journal Entry 10 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 18, 2009
Arrived safe and sound in Ohio, I have a number of other rings/rays ahead of this but I'll get them on my way as soon as I can. I keep my profile updated (weekly) so you can always see how close they are to the top. Thanks twinkpuddin for including me and thanks merrymari for mailing this to me.

Journal Entry 11 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 28, 2009
An interesting little book, while I think I read a lot (at least out of all the folks hat I know), I am no where near the snobbish level of the author. This really takes a love for reading to a whole different level, I don't particularly care for how my library or someone else's library is organized, as long as I can find my books. Nor do I care what other folks are reading, as long as I like it, its all that I care about. I'll pass this onto the next reader in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 12 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/29/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Just mailed off, it should arrive at it's next stop in the next few weeks. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, August 06, 2009
The book arrived a couple days ago (sorry for the late journal, I have no internet at home at the moment). I have already finished reading it.
Even though Ms. Fadiman and I have very much differing reading tastes and I was very tempted to not like her anymore when she called science fiction books trash, I couldn't help but enjoy her writing. I don't feel like her in many respects, but anyone who loves books as much as she does is likeable to me.

thanks for letting me read the book. I will contact solskinn right away and get the book traveling again as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 14 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Sent the book off to Vienna yesterday.

Journal Entry 15 by wolkenklang on Wednesday, August 19, 2009
It is here, thanks for sending it, samulli, and thanks for the bookring, twinkpuddin!

Journal Entry 16 by wolkenklang on Friday, September 04, 2009
twinkpuddin has granted me more time to read this. Thank you!

Journal Entry 17 by wolkenklang on Monday, November 09, 2009
Finally read! I liked it a lot, some parts I enjoyed more than others, and in many parts I found myself. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 18 by wolkenklang at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Wien Austria on Monday, November 16, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/16/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Wien Austria

Texttussi asked to be skipped, so I'm sending this book to Mozette instead. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 19 by wingMozettewing from Logan City, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, December 02, 2009
Well, I didn't expect it to arrive so soon... but here it is! Thankfully, I'm not reading anything too important; so I'll get into this book immediately. There's a little bit of damage on the dust jacket I'll fix before posting it onto the last person on the list.

Journal Entry 20 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Friday, January 29, 2010
got here a few weeks ago, but I just opened it from a collection of collected vacation mail.

Journal Entry 21 by saram23 at Fitchburg, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, February 06, 2011
I put this book aside when I got it and only rediscovered it when I moved recently. I read it most because I was afraid someone was waiting for it. I see I am the last on the list so I think I am going to keep it for a little while. I really enjoyed this book because it reminded me about the things I love as a reader.