A Country Affair

by Rebecca Shaw | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Chucklesthescot of Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/24/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Journal Entry 2 by Chucklesthescot at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (3/12/2009 UTC) at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland

This book is travelling to a new life in Finland as a RABCK. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Friday, March 20, 2009
Thanks so much, Chucklesthescot! I've read other books by Rebecca Shaw so I'm sure I'll like this too! :)

Journal Entry 4 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Monday, August 08, 2011
Very nice - quite light and easy to read but still not too "sugary". This is first of this series, so I suppose I just have to look for the others too!

Sending this forward now.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, August 15, 2011
Choose this by its first sentence and how well indeed I chose - it's a story about working at a veterinary practice!! Let's see how well the writer knows the ropes. Thanks Chania!

Journal Entry 6 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 12, 2020
Finally I began reading this and after 50 pages I would say I like it. Except that I'm jealous of Kate, having all those gorgeous male vets at "her" clinic. In Finland male vets are an endangered species.
The book reminded me of my first day at work at a vet clinic in Lahti 33 years ago. I went to work at 9 am so that the other nurse could show me the ropes. At 4 pm the other nurse was leaving for home and they realized there was no nurse in the evening as that was when the previous nurse had worked... I said I didn't mind working for 11 hours, I was high on adrenalin anyhow, everything was just sooooo great. The last patient was a chihuahua in labour - no puppies had been born. The vet I was teamed up with was newly qualified and terrified of having to operate, so she just gave the bitch some calcium and oxitocin and told the owner to phone in two hours time if the puppies hadn't been born. We then went to eat at her flat and wait for the call - which of course came. I learned years later working at a chihuahua specialist clinic that chihuahuas hardly ever have dystocia i. e. insufficient contractions, either they have malpresentation or too big a puppy. Anyhow, the young vet called her sister, the owner of the clinic, who came to rescue with her husband (a large animal vet). We then did a ceacarian section and my first work day had lasted from 9 am to midnight and I knew this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life!

Journal Entry 7 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, February 13, 2020
Groan... I hate it when they write professional stuff they know nothing about - one does not use anaesthesia on a patient who needs to have an x-ray of her thorax or abdomen.
This book is partly up Chania's alley, at least two men have serious mental issues here!

Journal Entry 8 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 15, 2020
Finished. This book brought back many memories. In 1981-82 I spent two summers in Dartmoor, Devon, in a vet's family. It was like something out of James Herriot's books. I've helped in a cow's c-section, I was in the wound elbow-deep holding the womb for stiching. The calf was out very fast, but the stiching took ages. The farmer who was supposed to hold the heifer's back leg with a rope fainted and she gave a kick which flew loads of hay into the wound and sent the instruments flying. Luckily cows aren't as sensitive to bacteria as horses. There was no electricity in the barn, so in the end they drove a tractor in and we finished the job under the tractor's headlights! Went back to see the cow the next day and she was happily eating and looking after her calf.
It was there I realized there is a profession I had not known about - veterinary nurses! At least in this practice they were treated as equals (so much so that the next year the vet left his wife and married one of his nurses), so I thought it would be a great profession as we work as a team with the vet and there would be much less studying (lazy me). My parents, especially Mom, didn't like the idea at all and she kept nagging that I should go to vet school and some of her excuses were rather funny: "Wouldn't you like to have a car one day? As a nurse you could not afford one." "Do you think you could work with a vet who is less intelligent than you, but who would give you commands?" I felt she was pressuring me be because then she could say "MY daughter, the vet." Well, I kept my head, became a veterinary nurse, have been doing it for 33 years and still love it. I would keep working even if I won the Eurojackpot. And I do have a car and I work with an intelligent vet who hears me out. And bringing puppies into this world still gives a high for me, each and every time.
About Adolf and Perkins... that would never happen in the real world and only an idiot lets it happen in a book! Not professional, not funny.

Journal Entry 9 by wingkirjakkowing at Robert's Coffee, Sähkötalo in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 22, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2020 UTC) at Robert's Coffee, Sähkötalo in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

On offer at a meet-up.

Pic: Some tumours from yesterday.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 23, 2020
Thank you for the book, Kirjakko! I took the book because I like the cover! It seems to be a lovely book too.