Lost

by Gregory Maguire | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by rockyhorror1978 of St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on 2/20/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 20, 2009
"Children's novelist Winifred Rudge flies from her Boston-area home to London to pay a visit to her distant cousin and old friend John. Instead of receiving his guest open-armed, John is nowhere to be found. His office staff is evasive in fielding Winnie's calls, and Mac and Jenkins, a pair of superstitious home remodelers hired by John to work on the kitchen in his absence, begin behaving strangely, as eerie symbols appear on the wall and inexplicable noises issue from the walled-up chimney space. That Winnie is not alone in her victimization by an otherworldly spirit is a good sign she's not having a breakdown. Maguire, who already has two best sellers to his credit (e.g., Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister) makes the supernatural chillingly real. Setting the story in Winnie and John's ancestral home and filling the neighboring house with John's intimidating new inamorata, Allegra, makes us root for the self-destructive Winnie, a most unlikely heroine."

This is the first book I read by Gregory Maguire. Admittedly one of the reasons I was disappointed was that I was expecting more ghost. This book was a good read, but disappointing. At some points I found Winnie to be extremely irritating. I was also hoping for more revalations about Charles Dickens and that plot element.

Journal Entry 2 by rockyhorror1978 at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/12/2009 UTC) at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada

Being released at the bookcrossing meetup. If no one claims it, it will be left behind.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 12, 2009
Another Gregory Maguire book that I've been interested to read. Though looks like you found it a bit disappointing. We'll see how this one goes!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 11, 2012
Winnie Rudge is a writer with massive writers block. She flies out to visit her cousin John in London, England with the hopes that her trip will spark something in her to help her start writing again. When she arrives, John is no where to be found but there are contractors in his flat removing walls to build access to the roof. Winnie tries to find John but also has to deal with the contractors who are convinced the place is haunted. Hammering happens and nails trying to be removed retract back in to the wall. Perhaps this is the ghost of Winnie's great grandfather, whom Scrooge may or may not have been modeled after.

As I'm sure you can tell from the description, there's a lot going on in this book. Too much. Winnie and her writer's block, there's also obviously something about her past that she's hiding, where is John, is there a ghost in his apartment, and what's the story with her great grandfather. Maguire simply can't tackle all of these items and the story just falls apart because of it. Things that you think the book will focus on (the ghosts and the great grandfather) it doesn't, and then the book takes an odd turn and you wonder what you missed.

To add to all this, the characters are glossed over and it was hard to understand their attitudes. John was very rude to Winnie and it Winnie had an attitude problem as well. Maguire didn't give enough away at the beginning of the book to explain this which frustrated me and by the time I got to the end I didn't care enough.

If I hadn't heard such good things about Wicked, I don't think I'd ever pick up another Maguire book. I will give Wicked a try though and make my decision after that.

Released 6 yrs ago (1/13/2013 UTC) at Starbucks - Sherwood Forrest (on Dundas) in Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Leaving this book in the Starbucks at Sherwood Forrest. Hopefully whoever picks it up enjoys it more than I did!