Their Eyes Were Watching God: A Novel

by Zora Neale Hurston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lmn60 of Spotswood, Victoria Australia on 2/20/2009
Journal Entry 1 by lmn60 from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Friday, February 20, 2009
Sourced for another bookcrosser as part of the Southern Cross Exchange on BookObsessed. Hope you enjoy this one!

From amazon.co.uk...

'When Janie, at sixteen, is caught kissing shiftless Johnny Taylor, her grandmother swiftly marries her off to an old man with sixty acres. Janie endures two stifling marriages before meeting the man of her dreams, who offers not diamonds, but a packet of flowering seeds ...'For me, THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD is one of the very greatest American novels of the 20th century. It is so lyrical it should be sentimental; it is so passionate it should be overwrought, but it is instead a rigorous, convincing and dazzling piece of prose, as emotionally satisfying as it is impressive. There is no novel I love more' Zadie Smith 'One of the greatest writers of our time' Toni Morrison'

Journal Entry 2 by lmn60 at Southern Crossers, Donation -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 20, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (2/20/2009 UTC) at Southern Crossers, Donation -- Controlled Releases

Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 26, 2009
Thank you very much Lmn60. I received this in the post today.

I will post this on www.bookobsessed.com very soon.

Thanks again.

Journal Entry 4 by jubby at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 10, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (7/10/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Perfect-circle, as she selected it from the 1001 virtual book box on www.bookobssessed.com.

(Comments to follow).

Journal Entry 5 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, July 20, 2009
Arrived over the weekend, thank you very much.

Journal Entry 6 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Thankfully a short book because I really couldn't get into this or particularly care what was happening. Will go back into the 1001 VBB next round.

Journal Entry 7 by wingshnedwardswing at Wakefield, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 05, 2010
This was waiting for me on my doormat when I came back from holiday. Thanks very much for sending it on!

Journal Entry 8 by wingshnedwardswing at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, June 21, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (6/21/2020 UTC) at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Spotted on another Bookcrosser’s wishlist so on its way to her by second class post. Sorry for hanging on to it for so long.

Journal Entry 9 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, June 25, 2020
Thanks for the surprise RABCK, including a letter and four great cards (I love the Tiger Who Came To Tea).

Journal Entry 10 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 30, 2020
I found the book quite hard to read as the dialogue is all written in the vernacular. I had to say it out loud in my head to understand it. As a fast reader I found this quite frustrating. I liked Janie and really felt for her through her struggles.

Released 1 mo ago (8/5/2020 UTC) at RABCK (Royal Mail), -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Will be heading off to Sparkish soon with a Wishlist Tag book, a wishlist book.

Join UK Bookcrossers at the Newcastle Unconvention from 9th to 11th October 2020

Journal Entry 12 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, August 10, 2020
Thank you for sending along with the other lovely surprises.