Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga book 4)

by Stephenie Meyer | Teens |
ISBN: 9781905654284 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Vekiki of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 2/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Vekiki from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, February 19, 2009
Well... I've just finished this book and if I'm honest, I was a bit disappointed. Its not quite as readable as the others in the series. The plot completely lost it in the middle - though I was intrigued, if not entirely impressed by the developments in Meyer's vampire lore - not a path I've seen trodden in quite that level of detail before (sorry if this is a bit cryptic.. i dont want to put any spoilers in this JE!) But then, I havent read alot of vampire fiction before, this has certainly sparked more of an interest in the genre if anyone has any suggestions of other book I may like?
I thought this book picked up again towards the end, but would of liked Meyer to go deeper into the various relatonships & politics of the vampire community.
I liked he idea of part of this book beng told from Jacob's perspective, but it wasnt really very well done - I prefer it when first person writing uses the kid of language & sentence structure that the charecter writing would of done...
I thought of this book pretty much what I've thought of the series as a whole - good enough to get by, but not worth the hype. I enjoy a bit of trashy, easy fiction every once in a while and these books were good for that but no better than the average. But then, I dont think these books were ever trying to be more than that- good fun, easy to read. And if it encourages more people to get down their local bookstore, all the better.

BOOKRAY

Thankyou everyone for taking part, I hope you have all enjoyed these Rays!

Posting order below - as always, JE on recipt of book and again once you post it on... try not to keep hold of it longer than 6 weeks

VampireQueen - UK, post europe
AgnesXNitt - UK, post europe
Dittel - Norway, post Intl
Wodfest - Australia
NMReader - US, post US
Hereticcoy - US, post US/Canada <--- book stalled here
Luckof - Canada, post intl
Vilda - Sweden, post pref Europe / intl if nes

Journal Entry 2 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 22, 2009
Received! Finally, v glad it wasn't lost in post, but it certainly took its time.

Started reading straight away, its just such good trash not to start, and I wanna know what happens! Tis a big one and I has more work to be done this time, may take me a bit longer, but I'll read it quick enough.

Journal Entry 3 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, April 02, 2009
Sent off yesterday, lets hope it doesn't take as long to get there again!

Thoughts: well it was ok and at least did finish off the saga nicely. But sooo twee and predicatable! Still don't like Bella, obviously she had to be... well I'll try not to spoil it for the others. And Nessie was just a weird child! But yey for Jake.
Still unputdownable, even I did want to throw it across the room at points.

Thanks again Vekiki, for giving me the chance to see what all this hype was about, now I can see.

Journal Entry 4 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 02, 2009
Received in the post yesterday and started today. Yay for an early finish thanks to colleague's birthday bash at the pub and my boss letting me exit gracefully just after 2pm :)
Right, finished the first bit of this frankly enormous tome, and am now onto Jacob's bit - aw *poor* Jacob :( Not exactly a giggle a minute for the poor lad right now frankly...
Thanks for continuing to host this one Vekiki, and to VampireQueen for posting on.
BTW Vekiki, re: Vampire novels - have you tried the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris? I quite enjoy them. I have to hunt them down via my local library but then again I'm practically out in the sticks! Full list of titles can be found via amazon or stopyourekillingme.com (great name, great website!).

06/03/09
Still ploughing through this one, though I am taking a couple of days off in order to get through my work lunch read (SG1- #13: Hydra). Blimey, I've had about enough of Bella and her self obsession! Me, me, me, me, me.
Mind you, talk about being hoisted by your own petard! How terribly ironic the situation concerning Jacob - bless him! His obsession with Bella became a mystery to me as this book started, as she is so totally gyroscopic I couldn't see her appeal to our favourite Werewolf, but it appears its just as well he did hang around.
Hopefully I will get through these last 200 pages by Easter Sunday, its only a matter of honour will get me to the end - or maybe this is my penance for Lent...

Journal Entry 5 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Many, many apologies, but after much trying, I just can't finish this book. I've only about 200 pages to go, which is frustrating and I feel a total failure after falling at the final fence, but I just can't do it.
Apologies for holding onto this one so long - the longest I have held onto a ring book for, I will now PM MsTeddy and get this one in the post soonest.
Hope others enjoy this final novel in the Twilight series more than I did.
Thanks for hosting Vekiki - like you I felt this final installment lost the plot in more ways than one!

15/05/09
PM'ed MsTeddy, but she has now dropped out of this ring entirely, so have PM'd DitteL and hopefully will be posting this to her soon...

Journal Entry 6 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 16, 2009
Ditte responded almost immediately to my PM yesterday so this book has been wrapped up and posted today from Huntingdon Post Office to Denmark.
Bit of a coincedence, as my brother is in that part of the world for a Korean Martial Arts competition and seminar. He'll be the 6' 3" tall one, dressed in black waving a sword around in an arena *somewhere* in Denmark then. Not scary at all really...
Happy Travels Book, and Happy Reading Ditte :) Hope you like the postcard, it seemed somehow appropriate!

Journal Entry 7 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Wednesday, May 27, 2009
IT HAS ARRIVED!!!! I've made the mistake of reading its previous JEs and now I can't think about the book without hearing the theme music from the movie "Jaws" ;0). I havn't been overwhelmed by the two last books in the series so I'm not expecting much from this one. However, I'm determine to read it and I might be so lucky that I just love the ending of this saga.

Thanks for including me in the ray Vekiki and thanks for sending it to me AgnesXNitt. I'll start reading it as soon as I finish my current read.

Journal Entry 8 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Tuesday, June 02, 2009
What can I say... this wasn't good! I don't understand why Meyer thought it nescessary to use 700+ pages to tell me this story - I think I could have done it in less than 300 pages. The storyline was boring, the ending quite obvious and I thought the book was poorly written. It seemed like Meyer had been in a hurry to finish it not really thinking it through. I must admit I skimmed through part of it, but I just wanted to get through it as quick as possible.

However, there was one positive thing: I didn't find Bella as annoying as I did in the previous volumes. It might had something to do with her new status (not revealing to much I hope), but I actually liked her in the end.

Thanks for including me in the ray Vekiki - even though I haven't been to excited about the books it's nice to know what all the fuss is about. I can certainly see why these books appeal to teenagers and romantics, but since I'm neither these books just don't do it for me.

I'll hopefully be able to post the book to Australia within the next couple of days.

Released 10 yrs ago (6/4/2009 UTC) at -- wild released somewhere in Storstrøms Amt, Storstrøms Amt Denmark

On its way to Australia.

Journal Entry 10 by wodfest from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, June 16, 2009
It's arrived!
Thanks Vekiki for setting up the ring and sending these out and DitteL tak for de bøger and tak for det postkort!

I will read and re-release asap. Probably more than a week as this one is a bit of a tome.

Journal Entry 11 by wodfest from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, July 04, 2009
I really enjoyed this series but I have to admit that by the end of this one there was a little "thank God it's over" feeling.
I really enjoyed the banter between Jacob and Rose ...and Edward ...and Leah but I really struggled with the last 200 pages or so.

She is a clever series writer. There are a lot of loose ends amoungst the minor characters and a few options for new directions if she decides to pick up the series again. For now I'm happy to wave them all goodbye.

Thank you so much Vekiki for setting up the ~ray and including me in the journey of each of these books.

Special thanks also to DitteL and MsTeddy (who posted the first) for the extraordinary generosity of posting them on.

Journal Entry 12 by wodfest at Bundoora, Victoria Australia on Saturday, July 04, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/5/2009 UTC) at Bundoora, Victoria Australia

Off to NMReader in the post on Monday.

Journal Entry 13 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 15, 2009
It has arrived. I can't wait but there is a mound on TBR that must be read first. :-(

Journal Entry 14 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 09, 2009
I have started the book and about 1/3 of the way through (Jacob, Seth, & Leah are just starting to work together).

I am not sure when I will finish but will read as quickly as possible and get sent to the next participant.

Journal Entry 15 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, September 12, 2009
I can't say this will ever be great literature but it was an interesting series. I haven't read too much vampire ficition but this does seem to stray from the normal.

I enjoyed the part of the book that was suppose to be by Jacob best although the voice wasn't quite what I expect from Jacob. That could be because I think Jacob is the best "person".

I will mail to hereticcoy tomorrow

Journal Entry 16 by NMReader at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Saturday, September 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/13/2009 UTC) at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

I will drop at the PO tomorrow. Thanks for including me and thanks for your patience

Delivery confirmation Number: 0308 2690 0000 5977 6727

Label/Receipt Number: 0308 2690 0000 5977 6727
Class: Package Services
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™
Status: Delivered

Your item was delivered at 12:05 PM on September 16, 2009 in BRICK, NJ 08724.

Journal Entry 17 by Vekiki from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 18, 2010
This book seems to have been stalled with Hereticoy, who is not answering PMs or ISOs on the forum. Such a shame.

But, on the brightside, I have been given another copy by a friend to continue this ray. Heres a link to the replacement copy:
As Luckof has already got another copy, there is only Vilda left to complete this ray, but all the same I feel better for knowing that it is finished properly!
Thankyou all for participating