Addition

by Toni Jordan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by freelunch of Cairns, Queensland Australia on 2/18/2009
Journal Entry 1 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Grace Lisa Vandenburg counts. The letters in her name (19). The steps she takes every morning to the local café (920). The number of poppy seeds on her orange cake, which dictates the number of bites she'll take to eat it. Grace counts everything, because that way there are no unpleasant surprises.

Seamus Joseph O'Reilly (also a 19) thinks she might be better off without the counting. If she could hold down a job, say. Or open her cupboards without conducting an inventory, or leave her flat without measuring the walls.

Grace's problem is that Seamus doesn't count. Her other problem is . . . he does.

As Grace struggles to balance a new relationship with old habits, to find a way to change while staying true to herself, she realises that nothing is more chaotic than love.

Journal Entry 2 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
This book will form part of DrCris' Miles Franklin Challenge (2009)

the reading order for this book will be:

01. freelunch
02. DrCris
03. livrecache
04. jubby
05. goodthinkingmax
06. bookseekerAT
07. FreePages
08. back to freelunch <--- arrived home 15th February 2010

anyone in Australia wishing to join this bookring is welcome to do so, please PM me to have your name added to the list.

other books in this challenge include:
Breath - The Slap - Ice - The Pages - Wanting - A Fraction Of The Whole

Journal Entry 3 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Sunday, June 07, 2009
this book was a lot of fun, more "chick-lit" than "award-nominee-lit" and that's no bad thing :)

Journal Entry 4 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Sunday, June 07, 2009
posted to DrCris on June 9th

Journal Entry 5 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Monday, June 15, 2009
I have already had a copy of this book in my hands and passed it on as chick-lit that I wasn't particularly interested in. However, it looks a quicker read than the other two rings I just received, so I am guessing I will pick this one up next!

Journal Entry 6 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, August 10, 2009
Arrived safely today.

Journal Entry 7 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, August 23, 2009
I read this book straight through. It was a bit chick-lit, but it actually had some meaning behind it so I was prepared to overlook the chick-lit aspect. (I probably would have done away with the last two chapters, but, hey, if it's chick lit, they had to be there.) It was a pretty good (and funny) analysis of someone with a particularly unusual OCD.

I'll send it on to jubby this week.

Journal Entry 8 by livrecache at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (8/26/2009 UTC) at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

On its way to another bookcrosser. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 9 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 29, 2009
Received in the post today.
Thank you very much. I do have a couple of other bookrings ahead of this one, but will try not to be too long.
Thank goodness this Miles Franklin bookring is not as long as 'A fraction of a whole'!

Journal Entry 10 by jubby at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (10/26/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Now, I will start my string of woeful excuses and moans with an apology to Freelunch. I had this book for far too long.
I appreciate your being generous with your bookrings and journal entries.

I actually read this book last night (early night to bed with a head cold), and it was a great short and fluffy read.
However, I just can't believe that this book made it onto the Miles Franklin list! Who on Earth thought that was a good idea?

I am sure Toni Jordan appreciates the kudos and extra sales, but after reading 'Breath' last week, it is shameful to compare the two.

But, on a lighter note, the story itself was nothing too challenging or offensive. Girl meets boy, girl is a nut, yutter-yutter-yutter. Not my usual choice in books, but one that I appreciate having had the opportunity to read.

Thank you Freelunch.

I also had lunch today with Goodthinkingmax, who is without ANY bookrings at present (I can't even fathom that!), so I've passed this book onto her. I hope you don't mind Freelunch.

Thanks again.

Journal Entry 11 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, October 29, 2009
Received from Jubby over a lovely lunch. Should be able to start it very soon.

Journal Entry 12 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, October 30, 2009
I flew through this one. I think overall I disliked this novel. At one point I was ready to abandon the book but then I wanted to see how it ended. Grace's counting disorder was very interesting to me but the resolution was all very simplistic and the "lesson" a bit trite and I didn't care about the romance. The writing wasn't especially challenging or clever but some of the humour made me laugh, especially some of Grace's comebacks to Seamus. I agree with Jubby and am I glad I read Breath long ago because I adored it and it seems impossible that the two were competing for the same prize.

I'll contact bookseekerAT and see if she's ready for it.

Journal Entry 13 by bookseekerAT from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, November 06, 2009
Hand-delivered to my door today - how lovely. Will get to it soon, although have a bit of a backlog of books at the moment.

Journal Entry 14 by bookseekerAT from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 10, 2009
A good easy and quick read. Agree with previous comments about the chick-lit element, but I found it more thought provoking than that suggests. I have relatives with various forms of anxiety/panic/OCBD and found it really interesting to get some insight into Grace's thought patterns. The twist is also a useful reminder that there may often be more beneath the surface of people's whose behaviours seem odd to others.

While I don't think the writing compared to others in the Miles Franklin list, I like that writers are tackling mental illness issues in an accessible way.

Will be on its way soon to next reader. Many thanks to freelunch for sharing.

Journal Entry 15 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 21, 2009

Addition has been added to my pile of TBR bookrings ;-)
Thanks bookseekerAT for sending this one along with the other one.
It is the only one of the MF Challenge for this year that I haven't read apart from The Winner.
Looks like a quick read so once started hopefully I can send it quickly home, but it might take me a few weeks to get to it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

:-)

Journal Entry 16 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, February 03, 2010
This was a really great addition to my 2010 reading, No. 7 this year actually ;-)
I needed something light just now and it was good to get this one off the pile of bookrings I have here at the moment. It certainly does make the issue of mental illness more accessible, with the light tone, sense of humour and a sense of acceptance. I loved the way her hero was Tesla.

OCD chicklit on the Miles Franklin list, I was also surprised, but I think if books like this, that give another view of mental illness, are nominated and have a higher profile as a result, then all power to them.
As for the counting OCD, loved it, it would be my OCD of choice :-)

Home to freelunch very soon. Thanks for the opportunity to read it.

Journal Entry 17 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (2/9/2010 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

In the mail today to FreeLunch

Thanks again for the opportunity to read it.

:-)

Journal Entry 18 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Monday, February 15, 2010
arrived home today. thanks to everyone who participated in this bookring. I'm now adding it to my wife's TBRs

Journal Entry 19 by freehand from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Monday, May 17, 2010
It is hard to give a number for a number related book. It had to log in to say thanks for those that sent it on its way to me. It reminded me that no-one is perfect and that we need to celebrate ourselves.

Journal Entry 20 by freelunch at Cairns, Queensland Australia on Friday, February 18, 2011
added to a "suck it and see" bag for a friend..

Journal Entry 21 by freelunch at Cairns OT Bookcrossing Zone in Woree, Queensland Australia on Sunday, December 15, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (12/15/2013 UTC) at Cairns OT Bookcrossing Zone in Woree, Queensland Australia

too many books, not enough reading. time to get some moving..