Love Walked In

by Marisa de los Santos | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Canadian-babe of Montepulciano, Toscana Italy on 2/17/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Canadian-babe from Montepulciano, Toscana Italy on Tuesday, February 17, 2009
From the back cover:
When Martin Grace enters the hip Philadelphia coffee shop Cornelia Breown manages, her life changes forever. But little does she know that her newfound love is only the harbinger of greater changes to come. Meanwhile across town, Clare Hobbs - eleven years old and abandoned by her erratic mother - goes looing for her lost father. She crosses paths with Cornelia while meeting with him at the café, and the two form an improbable friendship that carries them through the unpredictable currents of love and life. Invoking classic movies to illuminate the mystery and wonder of love in all its permutations, LOVE WALKED IN is an uplifting debut that marks the entrance of a enchanting literary voice.

This definately ..."is a book that will be passed from friend to friend with the words, 'You HAVE to read this'". I loved it myself! And I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel....

Journal Entry 2 by Canadian-babe from Montepulciano, Toscana Italy on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
I'm going to be keeping this book for later use...I'm thinking of turning it into a bookring or bookray.

Journal Entry 3 by Canadian-babe from Montepulciano, Toscana Italy on Thursday, May 21, 2009
Finally this book will be able to travel the world...here is the shipping list:

LindyLouMac - Italy/EU
nancynova - US/Int'l
lauraloo29 - Canada/Int'l
yayajanuary - Australia, HK, Asia

Happy Reading !!!

edit: Jan.12, 2010 solskinn has requested to be taken off the list.

Journal Entry 4 by Canadian-babe at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, May 25, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/26/2009 UTC) at Viterbo, Lazio Italy

The book is off for it's travels around the globe...it's on it's way to LindyLouMac.

Journal Entry 5 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 06, 2009
Arrived yesterday, thanks Canadian-Babe. I am honoured to be the first reader of your first Bookring. I have a book ahead of this one but hopefully it will not be long before I can read this and send it on the next leg of its world wide journey.

Journal Entry 6 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 15, 2009
I dislike myself a little when I write a review for a book that I have not enjoyed as I wonder who I am to criticise. I have a great respect for all novelists and think that writing and publishing of a novel is a great achievement. So my review is in no way a reflection upon the author, just on the story which I happened not to enjoy. After all we are all very different and thankfully like and dislike different things. The world would be a dull and boring place if we were all the same.
Reading the blurb for this title I probably should have suspected that it might not be to my taste when I read the words ‘grown up fairy tale about old movies’.
I have tried more than once over the last week to get beyond the first chapter but I am sorry, I just found all the mentions of old films and film stars in the first chapter alone off putting. For example Love Affair, The Philadelphia Story, The Great Gatsby; Jean Harlow, Irene Dunne, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart. I have heard of these films and most of the people, but as I am not a fan of old movies they mean nothing to me.
Maybe if I had persevered I would have come to enjoy this tribute to film classics, but somehow I think not. Meanwhile I recommend it to old movie aficionados.

Journal Entry 7 by LindyLouMac at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/22/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

En route to the next participant in Switzerland.

Happy reading
LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 8 by Canadian-babe from Montepulciano, Toscana Italy on Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Thanks LindyLouMac for your review. Too bad you didn't get past the first chapter. To be honest, I wasn't at all familiar with the old movies either and I was afraid it was going to be a difficult book to get into. But once past the first chapter and not so paying attention to the old movie references, I found it was a lovely read.

Journal Entry 9 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, June 24, 2009
This arrived safely in the Swiss alps today. I have another ring ahead of it and am pretty flat out with end of term stuff, but it looks like it will be a quick read as soon as I get to it. Thanks so much for making available and sending.

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, July 02, 2009
I think if I hadn't seen the films, or heard the songs constantly referred to in this book (so far), I would feel very frustrated. As is, so far I've been able to hum along quite nicely.
Ok, I don't usually read the reviews before writing my own, but somehow I couldn't resist reading the ones on goodreads, and I agree with everything - the annoying switches from 1st to 3rd person (I kept being taken by surprise by this, for some reason, double-checking what was going on and shaking my head), the ending is "telegraphed" as we used to say in French - so predictable as to be trite, everyone is gorgeous, etc etc. And I knew the bookcrosser before me didn't enjoy it as she sent me a little note with the hope I'd like it better than she did. And I obviously did. Because despite all the reasons not to like this, I liked it. I loved her prose (most of the time), I copied a few quotes to keep, I hummed along with the songs (ok, so I do happen to know them all, what can I say, I LOVE those songs) and wished I had some of those movies on my shelves to watch again... Who knows, maybe this is because it's the first book I'm reading at the beginning of the summer holidays - who cares, I enjoyed it.
I PMed for the next address a few days ago, and will hopefully receive it to send before leaving on vacation in another ten days. Thanks so much for making this available. UPDATE:... just got the address, now have to find time to parcel and post.

On its way to the Netherlands. Thanks for making this available.

Journal Entry 12 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, July 10, 2009
Caught it today. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the bookmark!

Journal Entry 13 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, July 18, 2009
I've been so indecisive about the books I've been reading lately... and this one is no different. From the first start I wasn't too thrilled about the 'Cornelia' chapters. I didn't know the old movies and that was putting me off a bit. And Cornelia was a bit too upbeat and thrilled, to a point that it was annoying even at the very start of the book. The chapters about Clare were very different, everything was heartfelt and soooo sad. Besides that I think the description of Viviana's disorder was done very nicely without turning her into a psycho (most people regard psychiatric patients as such, and they're not at all beyond helpless). Maybe that bit was more appealing to me because I am currently doing an internship on a psychiatric ward where I see the exact same disorders daily, but apart from that it was well done.
In the end the nauseating Cornelia-bits just took over and it wasn't just a fairytale, it was just very unbelievable. It just got worse towards the end of the book and that's such a shame. The way Viviana talks about her admission in a clinic is so far beside the truth. That's not what happens, at least not on this side of the globe. Still a bit mixed emotions and in the end not something I would highly recommend, I guess. It wasn't awful, but it had too many flaws (oh the sugar coatings, gosh!) to be more than 'ok'.

I've got madmadge's address and the book already in an envelope, but I'm not sure when I'll get to the post office to mail it. I'll make release notes once I actually have made the drop off ;-)

Journal Entry 14 by Laui at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 31, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/31/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Finally got to the post office during office hours. It's on its way to the next reader. Safe travels!

Journal Entry 15 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
The book arrived today - thank you Laui for sending it to me and Canadian-Babe for including me in the ring. I've just read the reviews and wonder how I'll get on with it? Should be able to start it within the next couple of days, so watch this space!

Journal Entry 16 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 21, 2009
I found this book difficult to get into although I could relate to some of the old songs and movies referred to. It wasn't in a style I'm used to and I think perhaps it just didn't suit my particular taste or perhaps it's because I'm a bit distracted by my new puppy at the moment. Sorry it took me so long and thank you for including me in the ring. I will get it off to Karen07814 ASAP.

Journal Entry 17 by madmadge at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/2/2009 UTC) at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to the next in line today by Royal Mail.

Journal Entry 18 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, September 04, 2009
Just what I needed following a horrific horror book.
This one seems to take forever to get going, som much so that I did consider abandoning it at about page 94. After that it really picked up speed and become entrancing. I liked the fact that the mother/daughter relationship was not adjusted to suit the story, it was told how mother/daughter really is!
Enjoy

Journal Entry 19 by karen07814 at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, September 07, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/7/2009 UTC) at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland

over to you

Journal Entry 20 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, September 14, 2009
With thanks to Karen07814 for sending the book on and Canadian-Babe for sharing! It arrived safe and sound this morning and I will start reading later, after work. Having flicked through the first few pages over breakfast, it certainly looks entertaining!

Journal Entry 21 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, September 25, 2009
Love Walked In was a modern fairy-tale. I thought that it was quite well written. The movie/music quotes largely went over my head and didn't detract from the story for me. I did have one major difficulty with it, and that was that I really disliked Cornelia!!! I can not give a reason why that would be, but she irritated me from the start and I could not sympathize with her much. Perhaps it was for similar reasons to Laui who found her too upbeat. The scenario of the inheritance and disposal of the house was a bit OTT but, hey it was a fairytale. Some of the characters were almost caricatures (Martin, Toby and Cam), but I thought Clare and Teo and even Viviana were very well written.

I have Rrrcaron's address and will post it to her today! Thanks again, Canadian-Babe, I did enjoy the read! (7 stars)

Released 9 yrs ago (9/25/2009 UTC) at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sending to the next reader today!

Journal Entry 23 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 30, 2009
I received this book in the mail today. Will get to it soon.
Ruth

Journal Entry 24 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 28, 2009
This was a delightful read. Of course there were some very das and stressful moments, but all turned out well. I was in need of a happy ever after read, and this sure did the trick. Who would of thought two strangers, an adult and a young girl, could spread so much love! Thanks for sharing this great read! Sending on to next reader.
Ruth

Journal Entry 25 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Monday, November 09, 2009
Received in the mail today and it is perfectly timed as I just finished my current book. I have read the reviews and not sure what to make of the book, but I will give it a try. Thanks for including me and sending it on!

Journal Entry 26 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, November 21, 2009
I found this book to be just "okay". I too found it difficult to get into, but about a third of the way through it did pick up. I didn't care for this author's style of writing and found myself going back a re-reading and checking on some things. I do want to thank you for including me and for sending it my way. As soon as I have easterngirl71's address I will mail on. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Journal Entry 27 by spoiledrotten at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, November 27, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/27/2009 UTC) at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA

Sent this to nancynova to continue on its ring. Tried three times to get address for easterngirl71 and had no luck so she was skipped.

Journal Entry 28 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, November 30, 2009
Got this today. It's #5 in the ring/ray list (seems to always happen that way!). I'll PM lauraloo, so the mailer will be ready as soon as I'm done. Some mixed reviews below, so I'll see how I like it.

Journal Entry 29 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 19, 2009
Starting this one today!

Journal Entry 30 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Better than expected. I was at least warned about the old movie references - some of which I'm now intrigued to actually see!

A lot of prose for very little "meat", especially the Cornelia chapters. I was glad the book turned out in the trite, feel good wrapup.

PM'd the next person for her addy - thought I had it, but didn't.

Journal Entry 31 by wingNancyNovawing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (12/31/2009 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Posting to the next reader of this ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 32 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 11, 2010
Arrived today. Along with some nice labels. I have a couple of other rings. But I am keeping them moving. Thank you!

Journal Entry 33 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, February 17, 2010
I can't get into this book. Funny, I thought I was at the end of a ray, so was holding onto it longer than normal. Weird. Must have dreamed that.

I will get the next address and send on its way.

ETA: yayajanuary is not able to participate. I will look for a new home for this book.

Journal Entry 34 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/13/2010 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending as a RABCK to boomda181. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 35 by boomda181 on Friday, March 26, 2010
Woohoo!! Lucky me! Thank you very much lauraloo29!! I look forward to reading this book and journalling more soon.