Star Gazing

by Linda Gillard | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingUrfinwing of Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on 2/12/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingUrfinwing from Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, February 12, 2009
Got this book from the author (BCer Skyewriter) for a BookRing within Germany.
I'd like to read it myself before I start a thread in the forum and announce it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingUrfinwing from Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, April 10, 2009
I have now started a thread in the German forum to announce the ring.

I've also started reading it, and am almost through...
...at first, I thought, Oh, what a difficult task she chose, to write from the viewpoint of a blind woman... but then Keir came in and he has these really entertaining conversations with Marianne... I really like the book!

13.April:
Today, I finished the book, had a good cry ;o) and was sorry that it was over, would like to read more of the conversations between M. & K. how he "translates" the visible world to her... just googled for Cantus Arcticus...

Journal Entry 3 by wingUrfinwing from Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, April 23, 2009
The ring is starting! :o)

1. UlrikeW (Sachsen)
2. faerie-glen (Baden-Württemberg)
3. Wattgirl (Niedersachsen)
4. Hholly (Hamburg)
5. nach Hause

Journal Entry 4 by wingUrfinwing at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, April 27, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/27/2009 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Posted it this morning, the book is now on its way to UlrikeW in Leipzig.
Enjoy the read! :o)

Journal Entry 5 by AdoraBelle86 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Forgot to journal the book when it arrived ):

I really liked it - especially Keir's "postcards" and the way he was able to "put things into music" for Marianne and the descriptions of Skye...

Now I already sent it on to faerie-glen on Monday.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by faerie-glen from Ulm, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Arrived! Thanks for the book and the release bag!

Journal Entry 7 by Wattgirl from Spiekeroog, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, June 20, 2009
Well, looks like faerie-glen forgot to make release notes! She sent it to me, Wattgirl the day before I went on holiday. I took it with me, had trouble getting started, but persevered! It was well worth it! I loved the book, especially Mariannes trips with Keir. My only reservation - I thought the end was a little abrupt. which was a shame. Thanks for sharing this book! Who do I send it on to now, please?

Journal Entry 8 by Hholly from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Tuesday, September 08, 2009
I enjoyed reading this book. It's a lovely, beautifully written story. It brought back memories of my own experience of being "blind" http://www.dialog-im-dunkeln.de
As I love music too, I really like how Marianne describes her sense of music: 'When I hear music it goes directly to my heart, it pierces my soul and stirs me with nameless emotions, countless ideas and aural pictures'
Oh and it's great that the story is set in Scotland because I love travelling to Scotland :o)

This is the first book I've read by Linda Gillard. A friend of mine has offered me Emotional Geology ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/7297884 ) and will kindly send it to me asap.

Journal Entry 9 by Hholly from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Friday, November 06, 2009
On its way back to Urfin. Thanks for the BookRing!

Journal Entry 10 by wingUrfinwing from Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Tuesday, November 10, 2009
The book's back in Berlin.
Thank you all for joining and for your JEs.

Journal Entry 11 by wingUrfinwing at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, March 21, 2013
In 2009 I had bought a Rautavaara-CD that includes the Cantus Arcticus, and yesterday I finally listened to it (basically, my son had pulled it from the shelf, and to respond differently for once I suggested to listen to it:) there is some very dramatic music on that CD (Garden of Spaces).
Anyway, this way I was reminded of this book, and I'm thinking of starting another ring, maybe there are new potential readers.