McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland (A Lir book)

by Pete McCarthy | Travel |
Registered by cluricaune of Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on 2/10/2009
Journal Entry 1 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Pete McCarthy was actually born Peter Charles McCarthy Robinson in Warrington, a town in the north-west of England. He was the eldest son of an Irish mother, who'd moved to England to work as a nurse. Naturally, there was an Irish influence on his upbringing : he was educated by the Christian Brothers and, in his childhood, spent his summer holidays with his mother's family in West Cork. Before moving into travel writing, Pete had worked on television, and adopted his mother's maiden name to avoid confusion with another actor. (It also spared him from sharing a name with a noted Northern Irish politician - who, unlike our author - has no great love for the Irish Republic). "McCarthy's Bar" was his first book, and follows his travels through Cork, Kerry and up the west coast to his eventual destination : the dreaded pilgramage on Lough Derg. (It's, therefore, not entirely set in pubs owned by people called McCarthy - but you weren't seriously expecting that anyway, where you ?).

I haven't read a lot of travelogues, but - up until now - I've made a point of avoiding those set in Ireland. I've flicked through one or two, and have been left with the impression that people who write travelogues - though they come close at time - don't quite 'get' the Irish. McCarthy, on the other hand, does a great job and sometimes 'gets' us a little too well. He occasionally wanders a little off-topic and, once in a while, includes some relevant childhood memory or the odd random thought. (The possiblility of genetic memory is something he puzzles over more than once, and he briefly notes the contribution of the Irish to Australia's sporting successes). He touches occasionally on the Irish - English relationship, though (wisely) doesn't try to explain it, while other tourists provide a few laughs...most notable among these are the Germans and - dare I say it - the Americans. (Please note : anyone who tries to tell you that, as a result, this book is anti-English, anti-German or anti-American should be roundly laughed at. Give them a lollipop, a pat on the head, even dry their eyes for them - just don't listen to them). McCarthy has produced a very funny and hugely enjoyable book, and I will certainly be picking up "The Road to McCarthy". Absolutely recommended.

Journal Entry 2 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. I hope you like the book, but I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what you thought of it by making another journal entry when you've finished it.

Then, whenever you are ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey.

If you've decided to sign up, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spamless !

Thanks for stopping by, have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by cluricaune at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Saturday, March 07, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/7/2009 UTC) at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

Released as part of KarmelK's St Patrick's / Celebrate the Irish Release Challenge.

RABCK for thegoaliegirl.

Journal Entry 4 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Book arrived here in the US. Thanks so much for sending this. Looking forward to reading this one!

Journal Entry 5 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Sunday, April 12, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. It was an interesting narrative of his travels around Ireland. Would not want to go to that retreat that he went to! I would be such a grouch after just a day of not eating. This book has inspired me to put Ireland back on my travel wishlist. I'd love to my own personal journey... on horseback for at least part of it.

Thanks for sharing this book with me!

Released 10 yrs ago (5/31/2009 UTC) at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Went out in thegoaliegirl's 3rd travel narrative bookbox

Journal Entry 7 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Saturday, June 20, 2009
I couldn't resist this one, especially after reading the Oxford Times review on the back that claims:
"The finest travel book of the year to date. A wonderful, wonderful book - clever, funny in all the right places. Observant, thought-provoking and bold, it does the Irish people justice and gives them an authentic voice. McCarthy's Bar is Bryson without the boring bits - and I can pay its writer no higher compliment."

High praise, indeed!

Journal Entry 8 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Friday, November 12, 2010
I've had this book for a while now. I read about the first 40 pages and put it down. I've never picked it up again, so will release it instead. I'm adding this to the Possessive Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Selected from the Possessive Bookbox, thanks for including it. I will be reading it soon then passing it on.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, January 17, 2017
I have decided that after 6 years on the MTR shelf this book wants to spread its wings so I am sending it out as part of the General Literature VBB, Happy travels!

Journal Entry 11 by wingbookstogivewing at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, January 20, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (1/20/2017 UTC) at Woodstock, Georgia USA

Releasing as a selection from the General Literature VBB, Happy Reading!

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 12 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, February 07, 2017
Thanks for sending from your General Literature VBB. I don't read many travel books, but I LOVE Ireland, so I'm hoping this one is more interesting than most other travel books. :-)