D is for Deadbeat: A Kinsey Millhone mystery (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)

by Sue Grafton | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by WelshHelen of Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on 2/10/2009
Journal Entry 1 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Different cover.

4th in the Kinsey Millhone series. It was late October, the day before Halloween. He introduced himself as Alvin Limardo. The job he hired Kinsey to do seemed easy enouth... until his cheque bounced. His real name was John Daggett, ex-con and inveterate liar, chronic drunk... and dead. The cops called it an accident - death by drowning. Kinsey wasn't so sure. The man, it seemed, had a lot of enemies...

This is my least favourite so far, probably because I didn't feel a great deal of sympathy for the victim or for many of the other characters, come to that! This was a darker book than the first three, with fewer light moments, though some of the scenes with Daggett's wife, especially at the funeral, lightened the mood somewhat.

It was nice to see Jonah again and it'll be interesting to see the development of what I hope will be a slow burn romance between Kinsey and Jonah. No Henry, though and only one brief scene with Rosie but hopefully we'll see more of both soon.

Darker, but still satisfying and enjoyable. Looking forward to E!

Journal Entry 2 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, April 18, 2009
Offered as an international spiral:

Please try to read the book within 6 weeks. Usual rules apply with the added request that books are not sent together to the next reader. If it means hanging on to a book for a couple of weeks please do so, rather than sending "in bulk"! Thank you.

ekranda - UK (intl)
pingucb - UK (intl)
Jonniboi - UK (Europe pref)
dutch-book - Netherlands
Hayes13 - France (intl)
NMReader - US (US only)
dabercro - US (US only)
kerbam1421 - US (US only)

Journal Entry 3 by WelshHelen at Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 02, 2010
On its way to ekranda today. Enjoy, everyone :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Paws4Books at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 11, 2010
Hi, got this book yesterday but only just got round to journaling...i might have this one a little while as i'm working on my dissertation which has been deferred until August...i have a couple of other books that i need to read before this one too...let me know if you'd rather i sent it on than hold onto it for longer than the 6 weeks....otherwise i promise to get round to it as soon as possible so i can get it moving again!!

Journal Entry 5 by Paws4Books at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 04, 2010
This was quite an interesting read...it provided some insight into Kinsey - who she is and why she might be that way! I'm still waiting for some of the other characters to pop back in so that they might brighten up the story line...perhaps that wouldn't have worked in this one though!!! This is the darkest read out of the previous 3 books and you can see Kinsey letting her emotions get in the way of her job in this one! Jonah comes back into this one again...i suspect we might be seeing a bit more of him too in the future books!

Thank you so much for sharing this book with me...i'm sorry i've had it so long and i will send it on ASAP!

Journal Entry 6 by Paws4Books at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, October 07, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/7/2010 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

posted onto the next person waiting for this book...enjoy

Thanks very much for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by pingucb at Tadworth, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, October 08, 2010
Arrived with the postman a couple of hours ago.
Am just over halfway through my current book and will then move onto this.

Journal Entry 8 by pingucb at Tadworth, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, November 26, 2010
A quick update - I am now part way through this book and hope to have it ready to send off soon. Just need to find time to myself to read...... :-)

Journal Entry 9 by pingucb at Tadworth, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, December 19, 2010
I finally finished this late last night - so sorry it's taken so long, just struggling to find time to read recently!!
For whatever reason I just couldn't get gripped by this book, it was a decent enough story and, as others have said, much darker than the previous ones. Not sure why but it didn't grab me until the last few chapters when I wanted to read it quickly to find out what happened!!
I'll get in touch with jonniboi to pass it on, although we are snowed in at the moment so not sure when I'll be able to get to the post office....

Journal Entry 10 by pingucb at Tadworth, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (12/29/2010 UTC) at Tadworth, Surrey United Kingdom

Have finally been able to get out of the house (translate: our street is no longer an ice rink) with the kids and take this to the post office. It's gone off to jonniboi, who luckily said he had another book to read first :-)
Thankyou for letting me read it.

Journal Entry 11 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, December 30, 2010
I'm glad I have this now, if it was sent a week ago, I would have had 8 books to read before getting around to this, however, I know have only 3 infront of this one, so I'm catching up as quickly as possible, will pm next person in line now!

Journal Entry 12 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 09, 2011
have just finished this and I have to admit I was a little skeptic about it due to the fact that at the beguinning I felt it was a little abnormal, and then it got slower and slower as it didn't look like it was going anywhere, but then BAM! I couldn't stop reading on and on, with a FANTASTIC ENDING Sue Grafton has yet again turned a book that could possibly have been a 4/10 into a 9/10, how she manages to change my mind so quickly, I have no idea.

Will send off to next person soon. Dutch-book (again) has asked to be skipped!

EDIT: Hayes13 would like to be skipped too, I shall contact the next person in line

EDIT no.2: NMReader have also been asked to be skipped, she mentioned that she has all the books from the series up until T and wishes to be skipped until this spiral gets round to that letter. So again, I shall contact the next person in line!

Journal Entry 13 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (3/2/2011 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Sent this book off, it's now in the post! It's FINALLY off on it's way, sent it to Dabercro!

Journal Entry 14 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Tuesday, April 05, 2011
Arrived in the mail yesterday. This will be my next read.

Journal Entry 15 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Sunday, April 10, 2011
As stated by previous journalers, the book started off slow but just over half-way through the book I couldn't put it down. I wanted to know who "did it". Looking forward to "E".

I have the next participant's address and should have this book moving again in the next few days.

Journal Entry 16 by dabercro at -- BookSpiral, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/12/2011 UTC) at -- BookSpiral, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to the next participant, kerbam1421, in MD.

Journal Entry 17 by kerbam1421 at Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Monday, May 02, 2011
Received this a little while ago and haven't had a chance to journal it (my baby came early!) :)
Thanks for sending my way! :)

Journal Entry 18 by kerbam1421 at Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Thursday, October 06, 2011
Finally was able to read this! It didn't hold my attention as well as the past ones. I felt like nothing was going on, and then BAM! it was done...

LOL I just realized that jonniboi and my posts are very similar. Ditto on what jonniboi said! :)

Journal Entry 19 by kerbam1421 at On the MARC train in New Carrollton, Maryland USA on Thursday, October 06, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (10/6/2011 UTC) at On the MARC train in New Carrollton, Maryland USA

Left this on the MARC train at New Carrollton, heading to Union Station. Hope someone picks it up!

If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (it doesn't cost anything to join!)—and if you do, please consider using me, kerbam1421, as the member who referred you. If you prefer, you can remain anonymous.
Either way, I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. You can post now saying that you’ve found the book. Then after you’ve read it, come back here; tell us your opinion of the book if you’d like; and let us know when and where the book is going next. Again, welcome, happy reading, and happy BookCrossing!

If you are already familiar with BookCrossing, thanks for picking up this book!! Enjoy!!