The Road to Lichfield

by Penelope Lively | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by blue1236 of Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on 2/9/2009
Journal Entry 1 by blue1236 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, February 9, 2009
A freebie from work. (I love working in a bookshop!)

From fantasticfiction.co.uk:
Ann Linton leaves her family in Berkshire and sets up camp in her father's housem when he is taken into a nursing home in distant Lichfield. As she shares his last weeks she meets David Fielding, and the love they share brings her feelings into sharp focus.

Journal Entry 2 by blue1236 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 1, 2009
Ready to be mailed out as part of my massive book clearance. Just waiting on a satchel from lakelady2282.

Journal Entry 3 by blue1236 at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 6, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (8/6/2009 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sent today.

Journal Entry 4 by lakelady2282 from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 10, 2009
How odd. Another first novel, originally published in 1977. I've read quite a few of hers so I'm really looking forward to this one. (I didn't realise it was her first when I requested it).

Journal Entry 5 by lakelady2282 from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2009
This book is about an affair but if you're looking for mindless passion and detailed bonking sessions, read no further. Penelope Lively has written a subtle and for me, psychologically true account of what it is like to deceive another and more importantly why we would. The small disappointments, the disinterest the husband displayed were so telling. I just wish I could have got to know David a little more. Otherwise though, a very satisfying read.

Journal Entry 6 by lakelady2282 from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2009
Off to cat to read at her leisure.

Journal Entry 7 by cat207 on Saturday, November 28, 2009
Thanks Deb. X

Journal Entry 8 by cat207 on Saturday, December 26, 2009
How very civilised. A reason or a season - it shouldn't have to change a lifetime!

Journal Entry 9 by cat207 on Sunday, December 27, 2009
Handed back to lakelady2282. Thank you.

Journal Entry 10 by lakelady2282 from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, January 2, 2010
Back with me again. Will release at the January meeting.

Journal Entry 11 by lakelady2282 at Cafe de Beaumont in Hamilton, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, January 16, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (1/14/2010 UTC) at Cafe de Beaumont in Hamilton, New South Wales Australia

At the Newcastle/Lake Macquarie Bookcrossing meeting Sunday morning at 9.30 a.m.

Journal Entry 12 by telford from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, March 20, 2010
First published in 1971, it seems very outdated - story of an affair - no sex. Dull prissy English people Fortunately Lively's writindeveloped and her characters became more lively!