The Memory Keeper's Daughter

by Kim Edwards | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 5/17/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 17, 2009
Picked up at the The Book Thing in Baltimore. I've heard good things about this one.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, April 12, 2010
I am taking this on my trip to Amsterdam to attend the 2010 BookCrossing Convention. If I finish it before I return, I will leave it there and post any review and release notes when I get home.

Journal Entry 3 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, April 29, 2010
Oh melydia! I saw her reading this book as we were on the plane headed to the 2010 BookCrossing Convention and I looked forward to her finishing it so that we could discuss it. But alas, this book was left accidentally in the seatback pocket of one of the airplanes that we were on.

I just finished reading a different copy of this book just a few days before we left on our trip and here are the comments I had at that time.

I had to chuckle as I opened this book to find SqueakyChu's label. We had just been discussing how I hate every book that she likes and she doesn't like any book that I recommend making us BookCrossing opposites or something like that.

Anyways, I thought that this was an OK book. I liked the story overall but I just didn't find it to be that engaging or really all that interesting. There was so much more that could have been done with this book that I just feel cheated in that nothing exciting really happened.

The overall idea for the story is great and I found the characters to be likable but I need to see a bit more action and interaction and that is what made this book a little too calm for my tastes.

The most interesting part of this story for me was getting reminded that there is a vast difference in the generations when it comes to people with disabilities and differences. I always knew that people with Downs Syndrome were institutionalized but I never really thought about it. This book made it real to me and I could feel happy each time that Phoebe made an accomplishment knowing that someone was helping her to fight the prejudice that she was not a valued member of society.

Released 10 yrs ago (4/13/2010 UTC) at Airplane in Swiss Air, -- Airports & Planes -- International Airspace

Accidentally left this in the seatback pocket in front of me on my flight from Zurich to Amsterdam. Whoops. Hope whoever finds it enjoys it and that it doesn't end up wallowing in Lost and Found for the rest of time.
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 5 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Friday, October 14, 2011
I finally read another copy of this, so I figured I'd leave my review here, even though this copy has not yet resurfaced.

One snowy night in the mid-1960s, a woman gives birth to twins: a healthy boy, and a girl with Down's Syndrome. The doctor-husband, fearing further misery, tells his wife the daughter died at birth. The nurse, rather than following instructions to send the child to an institution to be raised, moves to another city to raise the child herself. Years pass, lives change. I admit I devoured this book over the course of about two days, drawn to the characters and the constant suspense of whether the truth will ever come out. But this is not a happy story. It is, at best, bittersweet. Well-written and beautiful, to be sure (though the repeated comparison between infant hands and stars/starfish grew a bit tiresome), but kind of a downer over all.