The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 2/9/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 09, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer Jasper Fforde to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Monday, February 09, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by TheLostBook at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (2/10/2009 UTC) at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to bookczuk in South Carolina. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 10, 2009
This book is going to travel to bookczuk in the USA, then to Megi53 also in the USA. When Megi53's finished reading the book will be wild released.

If you've picked it up - welcome to BookCrossing! I hope you enjoy The Lost World and then pass it on to continue its journey. It'd be great to find out where it has travelled to and read your review. You can stay completely anonymous if you prefer, or you can join BookCrossing (it's free) if you'd like to take part in this booklovers' community.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
The Lost World fetched up here in Charleston, South Carolina (a bit of a lost world, itself at times). It has skipped right to the tippy top of my to be read pile and should be started soon. How exciting to be included as part of this project!

And I have to comment on the brilliancy of your book band! I love it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Monday, April 27, 2009
After reading many of today's thriller adventure stories, this was a really refreshing change. An exciting tale, told in a completely different fashion from the writers of today. One could view it as "dated" but I preferred to view it as a trip back in time, and found it delightful in many ways. Imagine how exciting it would have been in a world without television, telephone, internet and digital cameras. If this happened now, one would accuse the original artist of photoshopping the pictures of the dinosaurs.

More in a bit, but I'm eager to get this off to Megi53.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Monday, April 27, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (4/27/2009 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

To Megi53, along with an adventure of another sort, in another world.

Journal Entry 8 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Looks marvelous! Thanks for all the adventures.

I'll start reading it this weekend (May 1-3).

Journal Entry 9 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Now I see why so many of our 8th-grade students love Conan Doyle's books. His writing is timelessly funny! One of my favorite parts was when Professor Summerlee and Professor Challenger found common ground in their hatred of an Edinburgh rival. The resemblance of Challenger to the king of the ape-men was positively uproarious!

The plot was very well constructed, unlike so many books I've read in the past few years. It ended resoundingly, but with an opening for a sequel. I loved the way Ned's quest from the first chapter was tied up neatly, with Lake Gladys reverting to Central Lake after all.

I finished this several days ago, but have been away from my computer and am sneaking a moment at school to make this j/e. Happily, the book is now ready to wild-release just in time for Conan Doyle's birthday anniversary on the 22nd.

Journal Entry 10 by Megi53 at River Walk Trail in Danville, Virginia USA on Friday, May 22, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (5/22/2009 UTC) at River Walk Trail in Danville, Virginia USA

Placed on boardwalk overlooking "pterodactyl swamp" in Angler's Park.