The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 2/9/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 09, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

You can download a free readers' guide (PDF format) from the Lost World Read 2009 website but it does contain spoilers, so leave it until after you've read the book!

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer Jasper Fforde to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Update: The Lost Book ran until July 2009 and is now finished - apart from lots of books like this one that are still travelling and finding new readers!

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Monday, February 09, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 19, 2009
We're going to send this copy of The Lost World off on a bookray this week to celebrate Arthur Conan Doyle's 150th birthday, which is on Friday 22nd May. PM with your shipping preferences to join.

Bookray
tokorua, Australia (Int)
mrbaggins1, South Africa (Int)
sharpquilter, Canada (North America) - blogged here, thanks sharpquilter!
rockyhorror1978, Canada (Int)
Dreamer-kitty, Canada (Int) - asked to be skipped
NMReader, USA (USA)
cyber-librarian, USA (USA/Canada only) - skipped

Bookray finished and book wild released!

Journal Entry 4 by TheLostBook at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (6/2/2009 UTC) at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

This book has started its journey by travelling to Australia. Happy reading, everyone, and happy birthday Arthur Conan Doyle!

Journal Entry 5 by Monki-ies from Somerset, Tasmania Australia on Friday, June 12, 2009
will read asap and send on to next person

Journal Entry 6 by Monki-ies at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 18, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (6/19/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Hi, thank you for taking the time to look this bookcrossing book up, Please register it so i know what has happened to it. I hope this is a good one for you, if not pass it on to someone else.
thanks.

Journal Entry 7 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, June 25, 2009
Yikes! The book found me, thanks for sending it to me and I'm joining the hunt. Will get 'round to it ASAP and send it on it's journey

Journal Entry 8 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Wednesday, August 12, 2009
I read this as part of the Lost Book Project but did not pay much attention to the interactive part of the project. Quite an enjoyable little book but in the days of Jurassic Park and Star Wars I suppose a little bit dated. Thanks for the privilege in taking part in this special ring. I've PM'd the next in line to keep it moving.

Journal Entry 9 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Monday, August 31, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (8/31/2009 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

The release of this book has been somewhat delayed due to a postal strike in South Africa which I believe is now over.

Sending it today by surface mail to sharpquilter in Canada which is next in line.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by sharpquilter from Conestogo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 17, 2009
Received this in the mail yesterday and can't wait to get at it. Thanks so much to mrbaggins1 for sending it along.

Journal Entry 11 by sharpquilter from Conestogo, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 02, 2009
I had never read the book previously, but had watched bits and pieces of television shows based on the book. This finally clues me in to why people are stranded on a plateau with animals thought long extinct.
I really enjoyed 3 of the main characters: Mr. Malone, the young love struck newspaper man who wants to impress his love, Lord John Roxton, an adventurer, and Professor Challenger, the man who first brought word of the lost plateau and its inhabitants. I didn't really like Professor Summerlee, the naysayer, but he was needed for the plot to develop. Does there need to be a doubting Thomas to push for the discovery of evidence?
Throughout their adventures they showed that they could put aside their differences and work together for the common good, which in this case was their survival.
A wonderful read and I look forward to sending it along to its next reader.

Journal Entry 12 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Received today. Thank you for forwarding this book to me sharpquilter! :)

20/11/09: Dreamerkitty has asked to be skipped for this bookray.

Journal Entry 13 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 22, 2009
Finished today. A quick and easy read. I enjoyed the plot and it was interesting to see how Conan Doyle includes Darwin in (there were several mentions). What struck me while reading this book is the mystery that the Amazon held 100 years ago and the fact that it continues to do so. While we have yet to find dinosaurs in the Amazon, we continue to find new species that will probably be extinct in a few years because of clear cutting. I wonder if in a 100 years time this book will be a historical account of the awe and splendor of an extinct landscape.

I am passing this book on to NMReader.

Journal Entry 14 by rockyhorror1978 at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Sunday, November 22, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (11/30/2009 UTC) at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Being sent to the next reader NMReader. Happy Reading.

Journal Entry 15 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, April 12, 2010
My old neighbor sent me a box with several books that had been misplaced when she collected mail for me. I will try to read as quickly as I can.

April 13: I am reading concurrently with some other books so progress may be slow. Presently Dr Challenger is asking trying to ask questions of Professor Waldrum

April 14: Mr Malone and Sir Roxton have agreed to go to the plateau.

April 15: The have boarded the boat to South America. The book seems rather slow going

April 19: I did not read much this weekend as I spent it at my sister's. They are presently at the foot of the plateau.

April 20: I read at airport and on plane. I am within 40 pages of finishing. When last I read they were heading to the caves.

Journal Entry 16 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 22, 2010
This is the first non Sherlock Holmes book I have read by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I enjoyed the book and I especially like the little twist at the end. I can just imagine what an impact that would have had in Victorian England.

I think the book was well developed and offered insight into how Victorian England would have viewed many things. I am not fond of Gladys and must admit I wasn't from the first time she was mentioned.

I think what I liked most was how these men set aside their differences to work for the common good when necessary. I am not sure that would happen any more.

Good book

Unfortunately, I have not heard back from cyber-librarian. I will hold on to this until Sat morning when I will wild release if she has not been in contact by then.

Journal Entry 17 by NMReader at Corner Bakery in Sterling, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 24, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (4/24/2010 UTC) at Corner Bakery in Sterling, Virginia USA

Will be left on an outside table