The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 2/9/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 09, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer Jasper Fforde to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Monday, February 09, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 25, 2009
This book is going to travel to Crossing-Guard in Calgary, then to lightrailer2009 in Arizona. When lightrailer2009's finished reading the book will be wild released.

If you've picked it up - welcome to BookCrossing! I hope you enjoy The Lost World and then pass it on to continue its journey. It'd be great to find out where it has travelled to and read your review. You can stay completely anonymous if you prefer, or you can join BookCrossing (it's free) if you'd like to take part in this booklovers' community.

Change of plan, 15 April 2009: lightrailer2009 isn't responding to messages, so instead this book is going to hyphen8 in Hawaii next, then to TomHl in Wisconsin. When TomHl's finished the book will be wild released.

Journal Entry 4 by TheLostBook at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/25/2009 UTC) at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to Crossing-Guard in Canada. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by Crossing-Guard from Langdon, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 06, 2009
Thanks TheLostBook, The Lost World arrived safe in sound in Canada. I look forward to reading it and then sending it along.

Journal Entry 6 by Crossing-Guard from Langdon, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
This is a great book, thanks for sharing this with me. Classic tale of adventure that is still very entertaining in todays time.

I'm just waiting on lightrailer2009's address and then this will continue on its journey.

Journal Entry 7 by Crossing-Guard from Langdon, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 02, 2009
Before I send the book off I just wanted to add some more of my comments. There will be some spoilers so don't say I didn't warn you.

- I felt sorry for the ape people. I know that they were not very pleasant but did they really deserve the treatment that they received. I would think that the two scientists would step in and stop this so they could study this so called missing link.
- It was a bit slow in the parts leading up to the plateau.
- Hated the way the dinosaurs were regarded as trophy's that should be beheaded and brought back. This was probably pretty common thinking but it still angered me.

Well that is it for now. Thanks again for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by Crossing-Guard from Langdon, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 15, 2009
As I was unable to get Lightrailer2009's address I will now be sending the book to hyphen8.

Journal Entry 9 by Crossing-Guard at on Monday, April 20, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/20/2009 UTC) at

On its way to Hyphen8 (wish I was going to Hawii too). I hope that you enjoy the book!

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, April 25, 2009
Wow, I didn't realize this was a special edition just for the Lost World Read. How cool is that?

Thanks for sharing; I'll start this once I finish *one* of the books I'm currently reading. :)

Journal Entry 11 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 02, 2009
I had a hard time with the first couple of chapters - but I must admit that the stool of penance made a definite impression. In general, I found the attitudes toward women and "natives" of all sorts off-putting, but I suppose they were not unusual for the time.

Quite a grand adventure, and obviously a theme that remains popular even now - it certainly worked for Michael Crichton!

Despite the dangers, it would be hard for me to resist an expedition to see real dinosaurs.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this remarkable project; just looking at all the sponsors in the back of the book gives me an idea of the scale of this thing.

Other copies on my shelf:

Journal Entry 12 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/2/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book will be sent off to its next reader tomorrow. Hope Wisconsin is ready for a few dinosaurs!

Journal Entry 13 by TomHl from Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
The book arrived in Wisconsin today, along with some bookmarks, bookbands, and post cards. There are signs of a little water damage on the early pages, but nothing that will be a problem for reading it. Sorry, no dinosaurs in Wisconsin, but it wasn't too long ago we had mammoths, you know.

I'm currently in the middle of The Grapple, but will read this next.

Here is a photo of the book, together with two Arthur Conan Doyle books I've owned since the 1970s.

Journal Entry 14 by TomHl from Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, May 25, 2009
Using the map on page 82 as a guide, I set out today upon my own adventure. At this late May date, the floodwaters of Wisconsin's upper Rock River have receded only slightly from their high springtime levels, and are beginning now to expose the slick skeletons of formerly submerged sticks, logs, and the mixed bramble of once living vegetation. In this mysterious half-wet half-dry land, I had hoped to discover the lost mammoths once described to me by my late Uncle Maple White. I was, in truth, as far from any human aid as if I were exploring the Amazon. As evening fell, and the insect life became more active, I found myself to be unprepared and unwilling to spend the night. I have now returned to more civilized lands, some day hopefully to resume my quest on a better provisioned basis.

Journal Entry 15 by TomHl from Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, May 28, 2009
I first read this classic sf adventure story in high school, and 35 years later I remembered much more of it than I expected. Back then, I went on to read some other Professor Challenger stories, but this is definitely the stand-out among them. During this re-read, I paid less attention to the plot that I already knew, and more to the cultural assumptions of Conan Doyle, the characters, and the intended audience.

One thought that struck me while reading was that the explorers needed bearers to carry cartons of cartridges and all their other gear, and yet still decry that they are not a properly provisioned expedition. I was reminded of the John Franklin expedition of 1845 that failed to open the Northwest Passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific by sea above North America. His heavily equipped two-ship expedition was totally lost in the winter ice off what is now northern Canada. Archeological evidence has pointed to lead poisoning, scurvy, eventual cannibalism, but primarily to a militaristic and extremely heavily-burdened traditional approach to exploration. The Northwest Passage was not actually opened by sea until the much lighter Roald Amundson expedition of 1906. But the superiority of that approach was apparently not recognized by Conan Doyle in 1912.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in this Arthur Conan Doyle project, and to re-read an old favorite. I’ll be watching for an opportunity to wild release this next. I think I’ll also be looking for the chance to read Greg Bear’s Dinosaur Summer, a sequel to The Lost World, set in 1949.

Journal Entry 16 by TomHl at YMCA of the Ozarks - Trout Lodge in Potosi, Missouri USA on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/15/2009 UTC) at YMCA of the Ozarks - Trout Lodge in Potosi, Missouri USA

In the main lodge building, in the central area of the third floor, is a bookshelf of free books. I released this book onto that shelf today, during MUUSA 2009 (Midwestern Unitarian Universalist Summer Assembly).