The Lost World

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals |
ISBN: 0199538794 Global Overview for this book
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 2/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer Jasper Fforde to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 04, 2009
This book is going to travel to bookguide in the Netherlands, then to carlissa in the USA. When carlissa's finished reading the book will be wild released.

If you've picked it up - welcome to BookCrossing! I hope you enjoy The Lost World and then pass it on to continue its journey. It'd be great to find out where it has travelled to and read your review. You can stay completely anonymous if you prefer, or you can join BookCrossing (it's free) if you'd like to take part in this booklovers' community.

Journal Entry 4 by TheLostBook at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (2/4/2009 UTC) at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to bookguide in The Netherlands. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Today after lunch, I found several dinosaurs in my postbox! My husband, who's not a great reader, has always said that 'The Lost World' was his favourite book, and has more than once told me about it as we were plodding our way up mountainsides;-) So I'm more than happy to support this great project by reading the book and sending it on to Carlissa. I will read it soon and let you know what I thought of it.

Journal Entry 6 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Well, I must say I was pleasantly surprised by 'The Lost World', as I wasn't sure what to expect. I certainly hadn't expected to find it funny, and yet there were several places where I laughed out loud, particularly when the narrator describes Professor Challenger's appearance and behaviour. I wondered if Conan Doyle was secretly poking fun at a particular professor of his aquaintance who was a little too sure of himself, pompous and conceited. I wonder if I will find the answer to that question if I read his autobiography? Another thing that struck me about the book, was the power of Conan Doyle's descriptions, without delaying the action in any way, as I had a strong mental image of both the people, the creatures and the surroundings.

Occasionally I found the writing style difficult, and had to reread a couple of passages to get the full meaning. However, considering it was first published in 1912, I found the book easy to read. There was one aspect of the story which is rather unpalatable to the modern ear, and that was the obvious condescension of the "superior" white men for the negro and native indians, and the fact that nobody seemed to have any qualms either about the virtual genocide of the apemen, nor that the remaining few should naturally be enslaved.

In the normal run of things, I would probably have never picked up this book from the shelf, despite the fact that my husband claims it was his favourite book. It's certainly made me wonder what other treasures of classic boys' adventure stories I've missed.

Journal Entry 7 by bookguide at on Monday, April 13, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (4/13/2009 UTC) at

As well as The Lost Book project, this book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges, and is on its way to Carlissa in Miami:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme (March - Gardens and Plants)
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2009. My goal is 25000. This book 206pp.
- 2009 Movie Books Challenge

Journal Entry 8 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Saturday, May 02, 2009
I received this book today from the Netherlands! Thanks for the book, postcards, and book band! I listened to an audio version of this book a few months ago, and now I can read the print version. After reading, I will release this book at one of the Official BookCrossing Zones here in Miami.

Thank you, everyone, for sending this book on a journey!

Journal Entry 9 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Thursday, May 14, 2009
I enjoyed reading this book for the second time. This is the first book by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that I've read that didn't include Sherlock Holmes.

I agree with Bookguide that the condescension of the white men and the genocide of the ape-men was very off-putting.

My daughther would like to read this book before I release it.

04/21/09: I bought my daughter a copy of this book, and she has read half of it already.

Journal Entry 10 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Friday, May 22, 2009
I will be releasing this book today at Panera Bread on S. Dixie Highway in Miami, Florida in honor of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday.

Journal Entry 11 by carlissa at Panera Bread - Falls [OBCZ] in Miami, Florida USA on Friday, May 22, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (5/22/2009 UTC) at Panera Bread - Falls [OBCZ] in Miami, Florida USA

This book can be found in the book box at Panera Bread on S. Dixie Highway, Miami, Florida.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born 22 May 1859, so I am releasing this book for his birthday.

I hope whoever finds this book enjoys it as much as I did! And don't forget to check out www.thelostbook.net!