The Ha Ha

by Dave King | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rem_XDP-320934 on 2/2/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rem_XDP-320934 on Monday, February 02, 2009
Came across this book & had to buy it cause it looks like a must read

From the Publisher
A debut novel of extraordinary emotional power: When a mute war veteran opens his home to a young boy, he gets a glimpse of life outside his shell--with all its exuberant joys and crushing sorrows.
It's been 30 years since a Vietnam War injury left Howard Kapostash unable to speak, read, or write. Since then he can communicate only with sounds and gestures--a condition that makes him appear slow and disturbed. But inside his head, Howie is the same man he was before the war, longing for Sylvia, his high school sweetheart, and mourning his parents and his chance at a family.
Howie's solitude comes to an abrupt end with a desperate phone call in the middle of the night; Sylvia is being forced into rehab and needs him to care for her nine-year-old son Ryan until she returns.
Though Ryan's first days with Howie are strained by misunderstanding, his presence gradually transforms Howie and his entire household, which includes Laurel, a soup chef, and a pair of housepainters Howie grumpily thinks of as Nit and Nat. By midsummer, their once-cold home is alive with the happiness, disappointment, and love of a real family. But with Sylvia's return imminent, Howie is obliged to wonder if the change is only temporary--and to reconsider, in the process, just what the war cost him.
Triumphant and heartbreaking, The Ha-Ha tells a singular and engaging story and heralds the arrival of a tremendous new voice in fiction.

Journal Entry 2 by rem_XDP-320934 on Thursday, February 26, 2009
Coincidence that I discovered this book- seemed like it might be important in helping me understand something better. I think I did get some insight but it left me with questions-- like why didn't howard learn sign language to make communicating easier & more convenient? Liked it though

Journal Entry 3 by rem_XDP-320934 at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/26/2009 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

saving for wingedman- want him to read this

Journal Entry 4 by wingrem_NON-938592wing on Monday, March 09, 2009
Thank you.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrem_NON-938592wing on Friday, March 20, 2009
For me, this is one of those books that is good, but it could have been better. The characters are wonderful and quickly made their way into my heart, but at times the story drags. Thankfully just as I would begin to lose interest, it would get good again.

Overall, it is a good book, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it.

In response to something Scoobs-buddy said...... Even if Howard had learned ASL it wouldn't solve his communication issues, at least not with the majority of people he would encounter on a regular basis. Knowing ASL is wonderful, but most people do not know sign language. It's easy for any of us to question why others make the decisions they do, but really, until we can honestly say we have walked in the shoes of that person, we might relate, or understand somewhat, but there is no other way to fully grasp the 'why' that belongs to someone else.

Just my opinion........ Thank you for sharing this touching book with me.

Journal Entry 6 by wingrem_NON-938592wing at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 20, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/20/2009 UTC) at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Returning to Scoobs-buddy.

Journal Entry 7 by rem_XDP-320934 on Friday, March 20, 2009
thankya

BOOKRAY
_____________

1. Bug2004 ---NE/US only
2. NMReader ---NM/prefers US
3. acountkel ---NC/US or CAN

Journal Entry 8 by rem_XDP-320934 at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Nebraska USA on Monday, March 30, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (3/31/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Nebraska USA

Sending to Bug2004

Journal Entry 9 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, April 09, 2009
Re'cvd today...have a few in front, but will get to it as quick as I can. Thanks for sharing! :)

Journal Entry 10 by Bug2004 at Omaha, Nebraska USA on Friday, June 11, 2010
Sorry to have kept this way, way too long, but it was an enjoyable one. Thanks for sharing!!

Mailed off to NMReader