I Am My Father's Son

by Dan Hill | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 9781554681907 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 1/31/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 31, 2009
From the Publisher

Daniel Hill IV—known to millions simply as Dan Hill—is one of Canada’s most respected and successful singer-songwriters. By age 23, he had already won several Junos and had been nominated for a Grammy, having released three multi-platinum albums in Canada and another platinum album in the United States. But as Dan continued to top the U.S. charts in the ’80s and find equal success as a songwriter/producer for the music industry’s biggest stars in the ’90s, there was still one critic he could never satisfy: his father. From the time he picked up a guitar at age 11, Daniel Hill IV did everything he could to gain the approval of Daniel Grafton Hill III, a man who has been called Canada’s father of human rights. But the senior Hill set impossibly high standards for himself and his family, especially for his eldest son. While Dan inherited his father’s drive, his own interests lay in another direction. This led to conflict and alienation between father and son, even as Dan achieved international fame and financial success.
In I Am My Father’s Son, Hill traces this poignant, difficult relationship through vivid family stories, letters, memories and his own award-winning lyrics, often revealing the motivation behind the songs. He tells the story of two parallel lives, alternating between his father’s experience of racism in mid-20th-century America and his own search for identity as a young black man in suburban Canada. Dan compares his own fascinating journey through the international music business to his father’s pioneering efforts in Canadian human rights. Bursting with humour and pathos, I Am My Father’s Son is an intensely personal journey of revelation, examination and, ultimately, forgiveness. It is a story that lays bare the private struggle between two very public figures and at the same time illuminates the universal relationship between fathers and sons.

The strongest man I ever knew
I never was a match for you
always wanted your attention
never knew just how to get it, so I rebelled
tried to be your opposite, I did it well,
strange but true, how our lives are like a circle now
I’m so very much like you
—from Dan Hill’s song “My Father’s Son”

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 15, 2009
Dan Hill is a well-known Canadian songwriter and performer. This is his story.

Dan grew up in suburban Toronto in the 1960s. His father, Dr. Hill was the first Ontario Human Rights Commissioner. He was black and his wife was white. Racism in Canada was not as 'up front and in your face' as the United States but was still widespread. It was more a 'sneaky' type of racism that Dan encountered, including teachers who didn't like him because of his colour.

Dr. Hill was larger than life and having experienced racism was the perfect choice for commissioner. Dr. Hill was bombastic and extremely ambitious. His expectations were very high especially for his first born son. Dan had to excel in school. Although his grades were good, Dan's interests and personality ran contrary to his father's.

The tension and unrest in the Hill household was constant during Dan's teens. Dan loved music and writing songs was in his blood. His father let him know incessantly what a disappointment he was. His father was mean and constantly critical. Dan, however, has his father's ambition and strove to achieve success in the music industry and gain his father's approval finally. Dan's successes and setbacks are chronicled. His mistakes and his highlights are boldly stated.

This story tells about both Dan's life and Dr. Hill's life. It is a very well-written story about the relationship between father and son. It is also a tale of forgiveness. This book makes the reader look at their own relationship with their parents questioning what impact their parents had and what impact they have on their own children

On a personal note, my brother was friends with Dan during high school. As an older sister I did not pay too much attention to his friends. Shame on me! The details of the neighbourhood brought back a lot of memories.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 13, 2009
Mailed today to RootMartin who won this in the Bio/Memoir swap

Journal Entry 4 by rootmartin from Wellesley, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Thanks, Ace!

Journal Entry 5 by rootmartin at Marlborough, Massachusetts USA on Monday, September 06, 2010
Passing this on through my church's yard sale - St. Matthias Church in Marlborough, MA. Hope it has a wonderful journey!