Shen of the Sea (Paul's Books #6194)

Registered by PaulsBooks of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 1/31/2009
Journal Entry 1 by PaulsBooks from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, January 31, 2009
Paul's Books #6194

Journal Entry 2 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009
I finally read this book in preparation for spacedogs Newberry Round 6 Bookring! This was an interesting book. It won the Newberry medal in 1926!
This book is reserved and will be traveling soon!

Journal Entry 3 by PaulsBooks at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (9/26/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book is traveling to hyphen8 as part of spacedog's Newberry Bookring Round 6!
Happy travels!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, October 02, 2009
Received today complete with a Paul's Books bookplate - what a wonderful ongoing tribute.

Flipped through the book and I love the Chinese papercut-style illustrations.

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Interesting reading although I have my doubts about the authenticity of some of these tales. Silly me, I've seen this title on book lists over the years, and all this time I thought Shen was a person. :p

I actually had another copy of this book for quite a while, but I never got around to reading it...I ended up reading this bookring copy instead!

I have elissamay's address so I'll be sending this out soon along with its companion book.

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 18, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (10/19/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Off to the next person in the Newbery book ring!

Journal Entry 7 by elissamay from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, October 22, 2009
Part of spacedog's Newbery book ring. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by elissamay at Brooklyn, New York USA on Sunday, January 10, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (1/6/2010 UTC) at Brooklyn, New York USA

Honestly, I never would have picked this up on my own, so this Newbery book ring pick was a great kick in the pants. On its way to knitwit.

Journal Entry 9 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, January 11, 2010
arrived safely today. I shall read it and pass it along as quickly as I can. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, April 01, 2010
Okay, I've decided I prefer it when single works win the Newbery rather than collections of stories. I find that the stories tend to be uneven - some good some not so good - some I like some leave me shaking my head. This was an interesting group though and I'm glad I get to cross one more medalist off my list.

Off to spacedog very soon.

Journal Entry 11 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, June 13, 2010
got a couple of days ago. thanks.

Journal Entry 12 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, September 08, 2010
sorry this has taken so long! i too thought shen was a person's name. i hadn't read anything about chinese mythology, and it's really unclear how much of this (if any) is based on it, but the book was surprisingly enjoyable, more so than a similar book from this round, the one of south american folk tales (tales of silver lands). i enjoyed the humorous and wry tone of the narrator, the silhouette illustrations, and the "just-so" stories, although some of the yarn-type stories didn't have much of a point and got a bit labored. a good 'un, though, and i enjoyed it much more than i thought i would.

Journal Entry 13 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, November 03, 2010
This book returned home! Thanks to all the readers for reading this book!

Released 9 yrs ago (2/4/2011 UTC) at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

This book will be released at Paul’s Pass-Along Books Birthday Party 2011. Happy Travels!

Released 8 yrs ago (2/4/2012 UTC) at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

This book will be released at Paul’s Birthday Party 2012 at 1751 S 1500 E.

Happy Birthday, dear Paul!

Released 7 yrs ago (2/4/2013 UTC) at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

This book will be released at Paul’s Birthday Party 2013
February 3, 2013 at 6:30 pm
1751 S 1500 E.
Salt Lake City, UT

Happy Birthday, dear Paul!