The Woman Who Walked Into Doors

by Roddy Doyle | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cluricaune of Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on 1/26/2009
Journal Entry 1 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Monday, January 26, 2009
Roddy Doyle was born in Dublin in 1958 and saw his first novel, "The Commitments" published in 1987. It was later adapted for the big screen, a version that saw Star Trek's Colm Meaney and a very young Andrea Corr among the cast. Doyle went on to win the Booker Prize in 1993 with "Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha". This is his sixth novel and was first published in 1996.

"The Woman Who Walked Into Doors" is set in Dublin and is told by Paula Spencer, a woman in her late thirties. Both Paula's parents are dead, while only two of her siblings 'appear' in the book - her sisters, Carmel and Denise. She did have another sister, Wendy, who died in a motorbike accident, while her brothers - Roger, Edward and George - are only ever mentioned in passing. Paula's relationship with her father had once been good, though it seemed to have deteriorated as time went on. (Carmel, on the other hand, hated their father and subscribes to the view that all men are b@$t@rds). Paula, meanwhile, hasn't Roger in years, and isn't particularly bothered about it - theirs was another difficult relationship.

However, it's Paula's relationship with her husband, Charlo, that's central to the book. They have been separated for over a year as the book opens - though they are still technically, married. They couple had four children together, three of whom still live with Paula. (She hasn't seen her eldest son, John-Paul, in quite some time: she last heard of him squatting in some flats and suspects he's on heroin). She works as a cleaner, just about earns enough to make ends meet and is an alcoholic. As if all that isn't enough, the book opens with the arrival of a policeman at her front door to inform her of Charlo's death. Paula spends the book looking back over her life in general and her time with Charlo in particular.

While it isn't always a very cheerful book, Paula's story isn't one that will leave you feeling depressed. She proves to be a character you want the best for and, not only does she manage to raise a smile from time to time, she also manages to leave you with a bit of hope. Absolutely recommended.

Journal Entry 2 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. I hope you like the book, but I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what you thought of it by making another journal entry when you've finished it.

Then, whenever you are ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey.

If you've decided to sign up, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spamless !

Thanks for stopping by, have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by cluricaune at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Saturday, March 06, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/6/2010 UTC) at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

Released as part of KarmelK's St Patrick's / Celebrate the Irish Release Challenge.

RABCK for the world's greatest Swede. I actually thought this one was a bit better than "Paddy Clarke, Ha Ha Ha"...

Journal Entry 4 by wingyogiewing from Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, March 09, 2010
What a surprise! This arrived in the mail today and I'm looking forward to read it. I really enjoyed Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha and I'm curious to read this other book by the same author. I am positive I'll enjoy it! Thank you! :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingyogiewing at Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Wednesday, January 23, 2019
This book reminded me of a spiral in the way that it was written. I had no idea going into it, but when I had finished I thought it was quite genius.

By saying that I mean that the story is written in such a way it kind of loops around itself with flashbacks of the past mixed with the (near) present, through a first-person narrator. I actually didn’t really know where the story was going until the last 40 pages or so, so just like with tracing a spiral with your finger, somewhere along the middle you feel like it’s been going on forever. And then all of a sudden it just unwinds and picks up at a rapid pace.

Paula is an anti-heroine and a heroine at the same time. She is very likeable despite her flaws. I quite enjoyed following her on her journey.

Thanks for sharing this book with me, cluricaune! Now it’s on to its next adventure, wherever that may be :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingyogiewing at Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Sunday, September 08, 2019

Released 2 wks ago (9/8/2019 UTC) at Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden

Mailed with secret destination. I hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Thursday, September 12, 2019
I chose this book in the Scandianvian game Betty XII - choose a secret book.
A lucky choice as I love Roddy Doyle. I am very pleased :-))