The Amateur Marriage

by Anne Tyler | Romance |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 1/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 25, 2009
Amazon Editorial Review:

From the incomparable Anne Tyler, a rich and compelling novel, spanning three generations, about a mismatched marriage - and its consequences. Michael and Pauline seemed like the perfect couple - young, good-looking, made for each other. The moment she walked into his mother's grocery store in Baltimore, he was smitten, and in the heat of World War II fervour, they marry in haste. From the sound of the cash register in the old grocery to the counterculture jargon of the sixties, from the miniskirts to the multilayers of later years, Anne Tyler captures the nuances of everyday life with telling precision and sly humour.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 20, 2009
Pauline blows into Michael's Polish family grocery just after Pearl Harbor with a bloodied brow. Michael takes one look and falls deeply in love. Shortly after he goes to war but returns home with an injury probably caused by one of his unit's soldiers. What follows is marriage and three children. At first Michael and Pauline live over the shop with his mother. Once they save enough they move to the suburbs. They have a very normal and everyday kind of marriage.

Then their eldest daughter runs away from home and everything goes awry. Fights seem more intense and the lack of passion is missed.

Tyler takes the ordinary and breathes life into it. I did however at times find the story too ordinary and wished something different would happen.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 11, 2009
mailed to my birthday partner today

Journal Entry 4 by hobbit from Riobamba, Chimborazo Ecuador on Thursday, September 10, 2009
Thanks, AceofHearts! I've read other books by Anne Tyler and enjoyed them so I look forward to this one.

Edit to Add: I see that I never updated the journal when I finished the book. I had very limited internet for the past 5 months and wasn't able to keep up. I didn't think this was one of her best books but I did enjoy it. I think, in general, I prefer books that focus on a shorter time span and can give more insight into the emotions and actions in detail, rather than those that span such a long time.

Journal Entry 5 by hobbit at Starbucks, Rte. 9 (across from B&N books) in Poughkeepsie, New York USA on Monday, February 01, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/30/2010 UTC) at Starbucks, Rte. 9 (across from B&N books) in Poughkeepsie, New York USA

I left this on the windowsill by the front door. Happy reading to the finder!